Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the 2 front sub-frame bushings from Shark Racing ($25) today.
I'm waiting for the car to get home so I can install them.

Shark Racing

What amazes me is the amount of gap this bushing removes between the bolt and frame on the Elantra. Hyundai makes the holes for the sub-frame bolts bigger than the bolt for ease of assembly but that doesn't do much for stability or centering.

I put the S.R. 4 piece set on my YF Sonata and instantly the vehicle tracked better. I had to pry my LF sub-frame over it was so far off to one side which caused it to rub on the bolt's side edge. Not anymore.

Anyway here are some pics of the parts before I get started on the Elantra.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'd also like to see some pics of the project. Never knew of such part for our cars but very interested.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How to install Shark Racing 2 Piece Front Sub Frame Bushings

Required Tools
1. 6 point 1/2" Drive Shallow Well 19mm Socket - **6 Point Only** and use a quality socket
2. 1/2" Drive Ratchet
3. 1/2" Drive Breaker Bar

**Perform 1 side at a time. DO NOT remove both bolts at the same time!**

Step 1
Remove bolt from sub-frame assembly with breaker bar and socket - DO NOT remove the A-Frame bolt or Frame Rail bolt which are close by. See pic for proper bolt to remove.
Step 2
Install bushing over removed bolt as shown in picture
Step 3
Install bolt w/bushing by hand making sure threads are started properly. Hand tighten as far you can and use the ratchet w/19mm socket to finish.
Step 4
Tighten bolt with breaker bar and socket for final tightening. I am a 20 year mechanic with a built in torque wrench for an arm. For those who don't trust themselves to under-over-tighten the bolt I suggest using a 1/2" drive torque wrench and torque the bolt to 125 ft lbs.
Step 5
Repeat steps 1-4 for other side.

To make the job easier and to take pictures better I raised the opposite side of the car with a floor jack. This is not necessary. This job can done on your back very easily. 15 minutes tops!

P.S. In the last 2 pics the bolt is NOT tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Required Tools
1. 6 point 1/2" Drive Shallow Well 19mm Socket - **6 Point Only** and use a quality socket
Good info. 19mm is not 3/4".

Step 1
Remove bolt from sub-frame assembly with breaker bar and socket - DO NOT remove the A-Frame bolt or Frame Rail bolt which are close by. See pic for proper bolt to remove.
Step 2
Install bushing over removed bolt as shown in picture
Could you explain why not put bushings on all the middle four bolts???

So what do you think of the results???

Thanks for the great write up.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info. 19mm is not 3/4".
That is correct . Do not use a standard size socket. This is a metric bolt. Use a metric socket only!

Could you explain why not put bushings on all the middle four bolts???

So what do you think of the results???

Thanks for the great write up.
I just looked under the car again. Those are not bolts they are holes. They are the backside of something else down there. You can stick your fingers in them.

I test drove the car. I am more concerned with the noise I get going from reverse to drive and back and when turning. The RF makes a loud single click noise each time. That was there before the bushings were installed. I was hoping it would somehow fix that but it didn't. The car drove great before and it still does. I only went a mile or two. I did not have a problem installing the bushings so the holes must have been pretty lined up to start with so no big change like my Sonata.

So now it's off to the stealership to get the RF click noise fixed and the power steering reprogrammed to "Sport" which fixes the wander issue at road speeds.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just looked under the car again. Those are not bolts they are holes. They are the backside of something else down there. You can stick your fingers in them.
Now that you say this your third image shows there's no bolt there.:laughing:

Sorry to hear your problem was not solved. Very frustrating I know. Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thanks for the pics and tips. I'm pretty sure I'd be picking up this item as it's low cost and makes lots of sense.

I notice you installed 2 but the Shark site shows 4 inserts. What did you do with the other 2.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct. I only received 2 bushings from SR. The picture they show is obviously generic. They use the same pic for all models. Also both my Sonata and Elantra bushings were aluminum colored not brass like the ones shown online.
I got 4 bushings with the Sonata. 2 Front & 2 Rear for $45 not $25 like the Elantra.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thanks! Now I know to expect "2" in my shipment :laughing:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Talk about fast shipping. Came home today and the bushings are in. Too tired now but knowing me, tomorrow it'll be on. Nice to see what it does for mines.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Installed! This has to be the easiest and quickest mod to date. Used up only about 5 minutes of my precious lazy Sunday time to complete.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Any difference?
Hard to say but the car already performed well since the sway bar install. Took a drive with the bushings and it did seem to feel tighter and more controlled, even over rough pavement. It appeared to quiet the ride but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I swear, you guys are gonna dollar me to death. I just can't keep my fingers out of important little upgrades like this. I'm gonna have to get another job to support my habit. Now that the bikes aren't eating all of my money. Bwaaa Haa Haa.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts