Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only glanced over this before and I thought it was only for the doors. Turns out its a 7-piece kit for the whole car. Seems like an alright deal considering what you get but I wonder how much difference it would make.

Boogyman, is there a measurable difference to be heard from using this kit? Like an actual db number in noise decrease on the highway for example?

I was thinking of a DIY approach using the loaded vinyl barrier from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com along with some additional CLD in the doors, inside trunk, etc.

Any thoughts or preferably actual experience with the Shark kit welcome!

EDIT: it would probably help if i dropped the link in here:

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/sho...;cate=012102000

Just as a comparison, here is the mass-loaded vinyl barrier which showdown guy says is best for blocking noise in the car (AFTER using CLD to damp vibrations).

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/mlv

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Oct 27 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366672
I ordered one and it came in Friday, have not had a chance to put any in yet

Nice! I would be VERY interested in your results. What I have read so far is that you need a high-density (the sounddeadenershowdown "loaded" vinyl is one lb per sq ft!) material to actually block low-frequency road noise. I am concerned that the shark kit would only block higher-frequency noises such as hiss from driving in the rain, etc.

This is completely apart from dampening resonances with CLD material (dynamat, etc). A second step in noise control just as, for lack of a better example, clear coating is a separate, distinct step in the painting process. You need both to do the job.

Could you maybe take a camcorder or point-n-shoot camera with a video mode and record the differences in noise levels on the same patch of road at the same speed both before and after? Failing that, subjective impressions of before/after would suffice. :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (jdugan4859 @ Nov 10 2010, 08:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370441
Last couple weeks have been nits, my boss quit, then his boss (who was now my boss) got fired.
Yikes on that one! I would make sure you are not the next in line to take that job...seems cursed!

And I too am curious about this. Not worried about road noise. Just want a bit more "air" noise around the doors to go away.

·
Registered
751 Posts
LOL!
I love how many bumps this got!

I just bought some plasti dip to do some repair work around the house and it says on the can that it can also be used for soundproofing. So before one puts dynamat/SR kit, would it be wise to spray the inside of the door panel with plasti dip?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just ordered this kit from Shark Racing. Not sure how long it will take to arrive since it looks like it is coming from overseas. I will report back once it is installed.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It helps, I just installed their DIY soundproofing kit in my 2012 Accent. It certainly cuts back on the road noise, but then again there is nothing but a thin sheet of plastic behind the door panels to start with. Now I hear the road through the floor and around the side mirrors alot more easily without the door noise to drowned them out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts