Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
When there's that many install photos and examples of what's needed, my first inclination is to run away, and quickly. Would you have to drill thru glass? That entire scenario scares me.

I'm sure someone else can come to your rescue. What's on the roof now? How is the signal received, currently? I'm not that well versed on the GT, but sure like its looks!

·
22,793 Posts
If glass needs drilling, then you have a problem because it is tempered glass, which CANNOT be drilled.
Don
Oh, sure it can, Don! He won't like the result or the vacumming afterwards, but it can be done! It's not the result he's seeking, however. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm well aware of the properties of tempered glass! The antenna assembly needs to be drilled out, that's what it looks like in the photos provided in the link anyway

·
Registered
229 Posts
I could be interested in that antenna, if the reception is better than the standard antenna.
I find the GT antenna on XM cuts out more than the one on our Limited sedan did.
I only wanted to warn you about drilling tempered glass if you were unaware of not being able to drill it.
I do stained glass as a hobby, and have tried to cut and drill it
and as Rich mentioned, the result was NOT what I intended.
Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could be interested in that antenna, if the reception is better than the standard antenna.
I find the GT antenna on XM cuts out more than the one on our Limited sedan did.
I only wanted to warn you about drilling tempered glass if you were unaware of not being able to drill it.
I do stained glass as a hobby, and have tried to cut and drill it
and as Rich mentioned, the result was NOT what I intended.
Don
No problem! I'm a firefighter and have deal with tempered and laminated glass on a regular basis at MVIs

I find even the fm reception is poor. I'll try anything to improve it, and if a nice looking shark fin is compatible, all the better

·
Registered
93 Posts
No problem! I'm a firefighter and have deal with tempered and laminated glass on a regular basis at MVIs

I find even the fm reception is poor. I'll try anything to improve it, and if a nice looking shark fin is compatible, all the better
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AM/FM radio antenna is relatively invisible and a part of the back window. A shark fin has nothing to do with those bandwidths and is the collector for XM only. So installing a shark fin won't help with FM reception.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AM/FM radio antenna is relatively invisible and a part of the back window. A shark fin has nothing to do with those bandwidths and is the collector for XM only. So installing a shark fin won't help with FM reception.
On my Optima SX: AM/FM uses the 25% top part of the isolated grid in the rear window as an amyenna. In winter you can see it does not defrost in that area. The fin is only for satellite links

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts