Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I started my Santa Fe and was on my way when it suddenly shook and turned off after going barely a 1000 feet. I noticed that the steering and brake stiffened, possibly due to loss of engine power. Also the check engine light came on. I turned the key off and then tried to restart. It took many turns before the engine fired up. But as soon as I put it in D it shook a little and the engine promptly turned off. Again turned the key to off and attempted to restart. After engaging the starter for a while the engine turns on. Put in R and it shakes and turns off. This happened for at least five to six times. After that I called the tow company. Before they showed up we were able to start the engine and left it on idle for about 8-10 mins. Then put in R and it worked. I turned around and was able to drive back home and park it in the drive way. Now it seems to work. The check engine light is ON. I am afraid to attempt driving this to the dealer.
Please tell me what to do? I found out that Advanced Auto does not lend scanners. If I need to buy one, is a harbor freight one good enough for this vehicle? Or should I get it towed to the dealer? Will this be covered by the 10yr/100K warranty? Any help is appreciated.
PS: it was damp and raining this morning around here, if that matters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Even the cheapest code readers should give the code. If you are holding off on just taking it in, then definitely check the code and go from there depending on what it says.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even the cheapest code readers should give the code. If you are holding off on just taking it in, then definitely check the code and go from there depending on what it says.
Thank you. I bought a code reader from Harbor Freight today. Looking to hook it up tomorrow to see if I can find anything. Keeping fingers crossed. Plan to sell this car after fixing. Will come with scanner and best wishes! But on a serious note, thank you for responding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy thanksgiving everyone!

I checked the car with my new scanner and it shows as P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor. Is this covered under the America's best 10 years/100,000 miles warranty? Or is it repair at own cost? If so then can someone point me to or please advise on how to proceed?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed. Part $72. Labor $55 (dealer wanted 2 hrs labor = $240)
From looks of the old part, clearly looks "engineered and manufactured in Korea". Also, not covered under powertrain warranty - that only covers certain engine parts, which this isn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts