Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across an old style shadow box for the back window of the Elantra? I'd really like to see a photo of that, much like the old Mustang fastbacks over tint.

·
22,792 Posts
Oh, man...I'd forgotten about those. Used to see them everywhere on just about any make or model available. I guess the new wore off the chandelier, huh?

Every since I bought my first Elantra, I've cruised the various websites. I can't remember ever seeing one. Might be an interesting look. They were sort of the predecessors of tinted windows, weren't they? To keep the sun off the rear window and reduce glare? Plus the obvious cosmetic appeal?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, she is still bright and shiny. Still working on the look. Goes in for 35% tint on 5 Windows Monday. There are no street lamps where I live.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Are you guys talking about the black, sheet metal slats that we used to shade the rear window on a hatchback? I had that on my '77 280Z. LOVED IT!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that is exactly what we were talking about. Maybe someone could photo shop those onto an Elantra so we could see the cross between old school and new design, I for one would like to see it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have one part of that on my car now. LOL. If I cought a bunch or rear window spoilers and put them all together it would work. It would be expensive.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not sure if they were all like this, but the one I had on my old Z had some nice features: you could release it at the aft end (it was hinged near the front) and lift the entire assembly for cleaning the outside of the rear window. It somehow clipped onto the rear window trim (I installed it but it was 1984 or so, the Miller Light has washed away most of those memories....) in such a manner that it was easily removed if you needed to.

Altogether it was a very nice accessory, not very aerodynamic though. I would consider putting one on the Elantra if someone still made them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts