Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 SFS. One of the ABS speed sensors in the rear wheel hub is bad and throwing the ABS light. Had it checked out and it is only the right rear sensor. However, after a thorough search, found out that the sensor is integrated with the hub assembly (lots of cars are like this now). So, does anyone have any experience with replacing the rear hub? I am going to go ahead and do both rear hubs (I know I don't have to). Rock Auto had the MOOG hubs for $95 each. The dealer near me wanted close to $300 for one! Any recommendations on what to look out for? Are these relatively straight forward or a PITA?Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did hubs on my Altima as they were about the same price as bearings and I didn't need a press to install them. The install (on the rear) went much easier than I expected. Not sure about the Santa fe but in general, shouldn't run into any major issues. I used Loctite on all the bolts just in case.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
227 Posts
I replaced a wheel hub for a bad bearing on my 2013 in the rear, but its AWD (no integrated sensor). It was not very hard to do, but you need the good tools. Seeing the image of the FWD rear hub, I see the same 4 mounting bolt that you have to remove to remove the hub. Since you dont have the half-shaft in the way, it should be more easier that on mine to do. I didnt have to remove anything except for the brake caliper and carrier and the disc. You have to remove the parking cable (one U clip to remove) and the parking brake assy and brake shield will come with the hub and separate easily.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! Good tips! I thought it looked pretty straight forward. I didn't think about the parking cable...thanks for that tip. I hope to get to it this weekend. Received the parts today.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I replaced both rear hubs this evening. Took me about 2-2.5 hours total from start to after clean up and test drive. Not bad at all. This project was pretty simple and straight forward. The hardest part was getting the 4 bolts off that hold the hub assembly on. Some penetrating oil did the trick. Also, I didn't have to mess with the parking cable at all either. I also used some anti-seize compound for metal on metal when assembling new parts to help prevent rust in case i have to do this job again (Not on any bolts!).

Steps:
1) Loosened lug nuts on both rear wheels.
2) Jacked car up and put on jack stands.
3) Removed both rear wheels.
4) Removed 2 phillips head screws that help hold the wheel rotor on from rear passenger's side.
5) Removed abs sensor cable (it was held on by a wire clip).
6) Removed brake caliper.
7) Removed 4 bolts holding the hub assembly on.
8) Removed rotor and hub.
9) Used hammer (gently) and removed hub assembly from rotor.
10) Reassembled everything with new hub assembly in reverse order.
11) Repeated for rear driver's side.

Took out for a test drive and so far no ABS lights re-appeared.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure if this is the same thing or not: ABS, DHA and Traction all came on Thurs. and stayed on. Odd thing, it does not throw a code when I use my scangauge. Took it to the dealer expecting the worse, " it's all covered under warranty and will take four hours"
Very pleased!

"13 2.0 51K

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a scanner that will read ABS codes. Most likely it is one of the ABS sensors. Mine was throwing all 3 lights as well. The scanner can tell you which one. Since yours in under warranty, nor worries for you. However, I'm guessing the 4 hours would be to fix all 4. I only replaced the 2 rear hubs on a FWD SFS. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts