Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to put a decent exhaust, throaty, not too loud, but to increase HP by a few and hear my Turbo more.

Also, would like to swap my stock air box filter with another for better flow. I hear AEM is the better for dry filters. HUB is being very picky about what upgrades I can do. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I don't want BOV mods, but wastegate sound seems to be where I want sound. I assume exhaust will help.

Main question on exhaust. Does the SF 7-seater rear exhaust bumper cover work on the SFS? I have seen a few dual exhausts on both sides of the car, but the cuts look factory, not custom cut.

I'd really like to do dual center exhaust pipes like the older ss camaros, but use better tips so they almost seem like one exhaust tip.

Also, anyone buy a replacement interior LED package and did the replacements themselves?

Anyone have a good way for me to monitor the boost? IPAD?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Putting on a louder exhaust to hear your turbo more sounds like an oxy moron almost, lol. If you want to hear that turbo spool, throw in a bigger turbo :)

As far as the interior lights go, I just sold my Santa Fe and pulled my entire LED Package out of it. I loved them, super bright, and also adjustable with the turn of a screw to make them brighter or dimmer. I can sell you mine at a bargain price compared to buying new!
I had bought the package from KAI, here:

2013-2014 Santa Fe DM/ix45 FULL VEHICLE LED Module Set - Korean Auto Imports

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting on a louder exhaust to hear your turbo more sounds like an oxy moron almost, lol. If you want to hear that turbo spool, throw in a bigger turbo :)

As far as the interior lights go, I just sold my Santa Fe and pulled my entire LED Package out of it. I loved them, super bright, and also adjustable with the turn of a screw to make them brighter or dimmer. I can sell you mine at a bargain price compared to buying new!
I had bought the package from KAI, here:

2013-2014 Santa Fe DM/ix45 FULL VEHICLE LED Module Set - Korean Auto Imports
Bigger turbo would void the warranty. I should have gotten an awd mode
, as the front wheels can't handle the torque in the lower rpms. Wider tires might help, but exhaust should just make it seem decent as long as it's still semi quiet.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You could try a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, it is one of the least restriction, mellow mufflers out there. Check Youtube for sound samples. Or, a Flowmaster Delta 50 series for a bit more crackle.

You can just remove the stock air intake baffle on the stock Cold Air Intake, if there is one? Or, just install an aftermarket CAI.

Don't forget to reset your ECM once you're done with each mod.

Warm up engine to operating temp, shut it off, then take off the negative battery cable, then pump the brakes for 20 seconds (to drain the electrical system), then put the neg. cable back on, let it idle for a couple minutes, then take it out, & drive it as you want it to learn to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, it is one of the least restriction, mellow mufflers out there. Check Youtube for sound samples. Or, a Flowmaster Delta 50 series for a bit more crackle.

You can just remove the stock air intake baffle on the stock Cold Air Intake, if there is one? Or, just install an aftermarket CAI.

Don't forget to reset your ECM once you're done with each mod.

Warm up engine to operating temp, shut it off, then take off the negative battery cable, then pump the brakes for 20 seconds (to drain the electrical system), then put the neg. cable back on, let it idle for a couple minutes, then take it out, & drive it as you want it to learn to drive.
Thanks for the info MikDee. I will checkout the exhaust. I heard Ark has something as we'll. I won't be changing the stock CAI since the ram air in the front seems like the best setup for forced air.

I will most likely change the stock air filter to an AEM Dry. I want more than just from the CAT... Seems HUB is very particular about servicing based on warranty. I bought the 100,000 mile warranty. Anyway, seems I'm stuck with minimal upgrades. I bought my gf an Elantra GT, which is very slow. Too bad we can't do much to fix it up. I'm considering picking up a GenCoupe 2.0T, which we can take out on the weekends and have fun with...won't buy the extended on that one and I'll just mod the crap out of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you want to hear your turbo spool more just get a short ram or CAI. Exhaust isnt going to make your turbo louder. I dont think there are any manufactured intakes so youd have to go the custom fab route

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to hear your turbo spool more just get a short ram or CAI. Exhaust isnt going to make your turbo louder. I dont think there are any manufactured intakes so youd have to go the custom fab route
How to keep ram air intake from stock ram, and do larger cai is the question...custom make it I suppose. Who would custom make one?

·
Registered
126 Posts
As stated, changing your exhaust won't produce any increase in audible turbo levels, unless you were to install a turbo-back exhaust (TBE). You will see a performance increase in that case, but you're also looking at engine management options. This is also necessary if you are changing the parameters of the intake system. As you stated, changing out the filter with a dry-filter system is probably the best thing you can do to the intake as the intake design is very free-flowing. If you're purely after sound, changing into a CAI or SRI will give you the spooling noise you're likely after, as well as making your factory BPV more audible. As I stated, engine management is key to assure you're within specifications for a safe A/F ratio.

As far as exhaust options, any exhaust shop who know is worth their weight should be able to fab up a custom dual exhaust system. This will likely interfere with a trailer hitch, so consider that if you have one planned for your future. There's no way my Curt would have mounted up with exhaust pipping on the driver's side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As stated, changing your exhaust won't produce any increase in audible turbo levels, unless you were to install a turbo-back exhaust (TBE). You will see a performance increase in that case, but you're also looking at engine management options. This is also necessary if you are changing the parameters of the intake system. As you stated, changing out the filter with a dry-filter system is probably the best thing you can do to the intake as the intake design is very free-flowing. If you're purely after sound, changing into a CAI or SRI will give you the spooling noise you're likely after, as well as making your factory BPV more audible. As I stated, engine management is key to assure you're within specifications for a safe A/F ratio.

As far as exhaust options, any exhaust shop who know is worth their weight should be able to fab up a custom dual exhaust system. This will likely interfere with a trailer hitch, so consider that if you have one planned for your future. There's no way my Curt would have mounted up with exhaust pipping on the driver's side.
Thanks for your advice. The rear exhaust slot I am wondering if the regular Santa Fe piece will work with the SFS so I don't have to cut the other side out... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
289 Posts
How to keep ram air intake from stock ram, and do larger cai is the question...custom make it I suppose. Who would custom make one?
^^ I have no idea what you're trying to say here... care to elaborate?

What you are looking at is an Open air element. A cone filter, to support that weight youll need new metal piping. You can find a local shop to do that and buy some couplers, its really easy. But the stock air box (because its a close system) reduces turbo spool noise. Open air element will open the flow directly to the air, therefore the open system allows you to hear the turbo spool. Again, any kind of exhaust WILL NOT produce your turbo sound to be louder, it will make it spin faster with the larger diameter exhaust piping but combined with the stock air box its pointless because that still remains a closed system. As stated an exhaust of any sort will produce performance gains though

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a open element filter inside the stock airbox with a short piece of 3.5" inch pipe. you can definitely hear the turbo spool inside the cab plus I'm still drawing cold air about 10 to 12 Degrees above outside temperature.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a open element filter inside the stock airbox with a short piece of 3.5" inch pipe. you can definitely hear the turbo spool inside the cab plus I'm still drawing cold air about 10 to 12 Degrees above outside temperature.
That's not really gonna make a difference. The whole purpose of a cone filter is to have it open to air to utilize its ability to suck more air in. Plus with you all with the turbo models a short ram is not a cold air intake and won't see colder temp air flow. The air from the intake passes through the intercooler and is cooled after passing through the "hot" turbo so it doesn't matter, just a larger mass of air.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have graphs on it.

It does make a difference having an open element filter inside a hot engine bay that is not moving is going to soak up the heat from underhood. That is why I put my filter inside the airbox It has a nice fresh stream of air from the outside. Plus the filter flows better than OEM Panel filter. Here is a graph i created of my drive to work yesterday morning. You can see the the temperatures averages +12 Deg above outside air at 65 Mph.

1-2-14 Morning Temps vs Speed by amateo613, on Flickr

That space where the intake temp shoots up Is driving up 1000ft. Climbing to the peak of 5719 at the San Augstin Pass NM

That's not really gonna make a difference. The whole purpose of a cone filter is to have it open to air to utilize its ability to suck more air in. Plus with you all with the turbo models a short ram is not a cold air intake and won't see colder temp air flow. The air from the intake passes through the intercooler and is cooled after passing through the "hot" turbo so it doesn't matter, just a larger mass of air.

·
Registered
427 Posts
DDRaptor
Can you redo this with the OEM air filter installed to show the difference please.

·
Registered
289 Posts
DDRaptor
Can you redo this with the OEM air filter installed to show the difference please.
Thanks, papa bare is right. data is worthless unless you have a base line to compare to. With the stock filter you honestly could have better results but we don't know because you haven't proved anything. From personal experience I stand by my statement, especially with these motors (theta II twin scroll). I don't have any data on hand but would gladly like to see your baseline data with stock filter to prove your point. I would also like to add that intake air passes through the intercooler before hitting the engine (it cooling here) before that it spools through the turbo and that air temp spikes... So regardless of the intake temp that air will pass through the turbo and be heated up then cooled in the intercooler

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want to put a decent exhaust, throaty, not too loud, but to increase HP by a few and hear my Turbo more.

Also, would like to swap my stock air box filter with another for better flow. I hear AEM is the better for dry filters. HUB is being very picky about what upgrades I can do. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

I don't want BOV mods, but wastegate sound seems to be where I want sound. I assume exhaust will help.

Main question on exhaust. Does the SF 7-seater rear exhaust bumper cover work on the SFS? I have seen a few dual exhausts on both sides of the car, but the cuts look factory, not custom cut.

I'd really like to do dual center exhaust pipes like the older ss camaros, but use better tips so they almost seem like one exhaust tip.

Also, anyone buy a replacement interior LED package and did the replacements themselves?

Anyone have a good way for me to monitor the boost? IPAD?

Any ideas?
Did you ever get a new intake or exhaust?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get the setup I got. I have a boost gauge and when i use my uncle chip from K5 optima store and set it to 91 or 93 octane, the boost goes on the gauge to 20 and at time flutters. I believe the waste gate in the turbo can not keep up with it. it is so mcuh faster. but the fule goes to ****. like really bad lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts