Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday the car drove fine 125,000 on it new battery and alternator less than a year ago. did a boost with the 80 amp starter still nothing. Only took 5 min to fully charge the battery. No engine codes. The only thing I have noticed lately is that the gear box is stiffer to change from park-drive-neutral, but the manual option is fluid. Is it possible that my problem is to do with the stiffness maybe not completely in the gear so it won't start? I am going to try to wack the starter this evening to see if that helps.
As I turn the key I do hear the electrical click but there is nothing when I turn it over, not even the click click click that happens when you battery is low.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Try in neutral. The shift pin in earlier models are known to rust somewhat and needs to be cleaned up and lubed.

Its a newer generation than mine but if you can have someone turn the key see if the START relay clicks for you if not its something in that circuit. Other than rusted ground connection under the hood (Ontario salt like me) its a process of elimination and testing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try in neutral. The shift pin in earlier models are known to rust somewhat and needs to be cleaned up and lubed.

Its a newer generation than mine but if you can have someone turn the key see if the START relay clicks for you if not its something in that circuit. Other than rusted ground connection under the hood (Ontario salt like me) its a process of elimination and testing.
Thanks Tripplec, I tried it in neutral and it fired up no problem. Is it complicated to clean and lube the shift pin? I have never had to do that before on any car.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Thanks Tripplec, I tried it in neutral and it fired up no problem. Is it complicated to clean and lube the shift pin? I have never had to do that before on any car.

There's a write-up for it somewhere around here...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up being the cable connector pin not moving well under the battery that goes into the tranny. Took it all apart and all is good. Liquid wrench was my friend.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Well my NO CRANK is back and I am of the opinion its not a ground issue. My daughter is driving this now so she was stuck close to home when she stopped by some store. It would not start when she go back in. I am of the opinion its a heat issue. After about an hour it started. This just occurred two hours ago. It never acted up when sitting overnight etc. I know the start relay does not get activated when I was trouble shooting this years ago. I have not tried it in Neutral. Next time I'll have her do that and see if its the switch.

I know the only sure way to start is to bypass the start relay which worked everytime.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I ran another ground wire from the battery to the strut tower stud which metered having a good ground. I can't hurt but I'll see if that does anything in time. Weather is a lot cooler and may not happen since it seemed to be on Hot Days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts