Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta didn't I!!! Ok running at 30mph @ on small 2 sided road, when a BRG pulls in front of me. I just waited.... A lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. So the guy hits it, I do to!! And the SF kept up with it! Again the GN WAS SMOKING PRETTY BAD!! But I know he was surprised because at 90mph he back off and I could still read his plates " TOFAST"...... Not today!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds more like Buick Roadmaster or Electra , I sometimes confuse those myself.
Sorry kinda of like a gear head no road master you are thinking impalla ss, I am talking about a Buick Regal Grand National. Not saying the SF is the fastest thing on the planet, but I have been in enough professional drag races to know what I was following...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Sorry kinda of like a gear head no road master you are thinking impalla ss, I am talking about a Buick Regal Grand National. Not saying the SF is the fastest thing on the planet, but I have been in enough professional drag races to know what I was following...
I was just kidding , some of those later Grand Nationals were pretty fast - a guy I worked with in Pittsburgh had the GNX and it was fast - but as you may know those things had a lot of reliability issues as those were the early years of turbo charging. Here in Denver I cannot recall seeing one in a good long while.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just kidding , some of those later Grand Nationals were pretty fast - a guy I worked with in Pittsburgh had the GNX and it was fast - but as you may know those things had a lot of reliability issues as those were the early years of turbo charging. Here in Denver I cannot recall seeing one in a good long while.
I know, I haven't seen one smoking so bad in a long time... The gnx was the fastest of them. All that power from a 3.8 litr I think?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I know, I haven't seen one smoking so bad in a long time... The gnx was the fastest of them. All that power from a 3.8 litr I think?
Yeah I think 231 CID and if I'm correct it was basically the same as a NA engine
with respect to internals - crank bearing valves etc. I heard if you ran them hard stuff like the turbo, head gaskets and cooling system issues would arise - not unexpected. Today's high output engines like the Hyundai 2.0T do a remarkable job of moving heat away from the cylinder head - way way better cooling efficiency and combustion chamber temp control. and the engine internals are purpose built for high power generation.

The guy I worked with who had the GNX - rarely drove it, kept it in prime condition in his garage.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah I think 231 CID and if I'm correct it was basically the same as a NA engine
with respect to internals - crank bearing valves etc. I heard if you ran them hard stuff like the turbo, head gaskets and cooling system issues would arise - not unexpected. Today's high output engines like the Hyundai 2.0T do a remarkable job of moving heat away from the cylinder head - way way better cooling efficiency and combustion chamber temp control. and the engine internals are purpose built for high power generation.

The guy I worked with who had the GNX - rarely drove it, kept it in prime condition in his garage.
The GNX was a factory beast. That same engine was in a Firebird for one year. It was the fastest bird made of any. The GNX was able to beat all factory cars of its time including the Chevy Vette. GM stopped making after two years. Wonder why?????????

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The GNX was a factory beast. That same engine was in a Firebird for one year. It was the fastest bird made of any. The GNX was able to beat all factory cars of its time including the Chevy Vette. GM stopped making after two years. Wonder why?????????
I'm a bit of a car nut, but I don't remember this. New body style for trans-am in 1980 included a turbo engine, and then in 85 I think the GTA SOME HAD A TURBO....

·
Registered
907 Posts
There's a reason the grand national had port-holes on the side of the engine... the engine would heat up so much it needed the extra vents to help keep it cool while hauling butt. Drivers would say they could feel the heat coming out of them if they drove with the windows down. I'm talking about the holes next to the side doors... They were not put there for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I gotta didn't I!!! Ok running at 30mph @ on small 2 sided road, when a BRG pulls in front of me. I just waited.... A lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. So the guy hits it, I do to!! And the SF kept up with it! Again the GN WAS SMOKING PRETTY BAD!! But I know he was surprised because at 90mph he back off and I could still read his plates " TOFAST"...... Not today!
:p Too funny. Its sad that the owner wasn't looking after that vehicle better. The GNX would slay the same model year Corvette in 0 to 60 and quarter mile. It was an absolute beast and I would love to get my hands on one if I were mechanically minded. The analogy I'm seeing is a three legged Cheetah trying to hunt down a Thompson Gazelle. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a bit of a car nut, but I don't remember this. New body style for trans-am in 1980 included a turbo engine, and then in 85 I think the GTA SOME HAD A TURBO....
Not that it matters but no GTAs had turbos. The Trans Am he's talking about is an 89' Turbo Trans Am. Made one year only with the Grand National GNX motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's a reason the grand national had port-holes on the side of the engine... the engine would heat up so much it needed the extra vents to help keep it cool while hauling butt. Drivers would say they could feel the heat coming out of them if they drove with the windows down. I'm talking about the holes next to the side doors... They were not put there for aesthetic reasons.
Again, not that it matters and not trying to sound like a know it all, but Grand Nationals didn't have those vents. Only GNXs did.

·
Registered
468 Posts

If memory serves, the 1980 TA turbo was built using a 301 cubic inch motor. It was a seriously bad design for a turbo motor, though it turned out respectable horsepower numbers for its time. All the ones ive ever seen since the eighties had grenaded the 301s and replaced them with a 350 or 400 SBC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts