Hyundai Forums banner

2.0T vs 2.4 Engine

• Total voters
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Essential
176 Posts
I have the 2.4L and have no issues with the amount of power it has. Mostly flat terrain where I am though we get lots of winter. In either case I don't tow anything and I find it has more than enough power for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was undecided in February. Wanted Ultimate but with which engine. Test drive both. Never drove a turbo vehicle before but I’ve been driving for almost 40 years and the turbo lag just didn’t feel right. I live in Staten Island which is mostly stop and go with occasional vacations with a fully loaded vehicle. I like the smoother acceleration of the 2.4 and the power while not quick is adequate. Sometimes I have doubts about my decision when on an entrance ramp as you sometimes have to floor it when fully loaded but overall I think I made the right choice. Unless you are towing or constantly driving fully loaded on highways and/or high altitude I think the 2.4 is ADEQUATE!

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
461 Posts
I was undecided in February. Wanted Ultimate but with which engine. Test drive both. Never drove a turbo vehicle before but I’ve been driving for almost 40 years and the turbo lag just didn’t feel right. I live in Staten Island which is mostly stop and go with occasional vacations with a fully loaded vehicle. I like the smoother acceleration of the 2.4 and the power while not quick is adequate. Sometimes I have doubts about my decision when on an entrance ramp as you sometimes have to floor it when fully loaded but overall I think I made the right choice. Unless you are towing or constantly driving fully loaded on highways and/or high altitude I think the 2.4 is ADEQUATE!
2.4 might be sufficient for daily driving. Just don't plan on towing anything!
"Adequate". "Sufficient". Ringing endorsements. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
818 Posts
If the lesser engine wasn't adequate for SOMEBODY they wouldn't sell it. (supply and demand)
Those of us who are not impatient or aggressive drivers are satisfied with these 4 cylinder engines that rival the power of V8's from the 1970's and get twice the gas mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
73 Posts
I my opinion the buyer needs to make a common sense choice. If you need more power, If your are going to consistently tow, If you are a performance driver maybe the 2.0 turbo makes sense.

The Turbo cost $2500 to $3000 or more - it cost more to maintain - it doesn't get as good gas mileage- people say the power transfer is not as smooth (I don't know I own a 2020 Santa Fe FWD SEL 2.4.).

If you are a normal everyday driver looking for a good family car there are a lot of other things to spend this type of money on rather than extra horsepower on a more powerful engine - invest in your child's college fund, take a special family vacation-pay to get your daughter braces - etc, all might be a better place to invest the $3000 you save with the standard 2.4l along with the additional gas savings and maintenance cost you will save.

To each his own choice - either one is probably a great choice - one cost about $3000 more than the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 2.4 is far better than "adequate and sufficient". I punch it quite often and am never cut off at the on ramp.
I believe those posts you refer to were attempting to be polite as to not offend the sensibilities of our "turbo enthusiast" forummates.
But drive and decide, money was no object, and if a 6 were available I'd be driving it.
After over a decade of turbocharged cars I was done with that.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
461 Posts
Yeah, no one in their right mind would consider "fuel economy", "price", "simplicity", "ease and cost of maintenance" with a car in this class. ¯\(ツ)
/s
Feel free to read those tradeoffs into those posts if you like (and ignore "Sometimes I have doubts about my decision..."); but the posts that I block quoted did not say anything about valuing those traits over power.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to buy the vehicle that makes sense for you. I went with the 2.4 as we have a Ford Ranger as our other 4 wheeled vehicle. I was questioning if the 2.4 would have enough power for our Colorado terrain, it does. If we want more performance we can use our Police Motors or our Honda Gold Wings. After driving Turbos for the last ten years it is nice to not have any turbo lag.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts