Hyundai Forums banner

2.0T vs 2.4 Engine

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need some help deciding which engine to go with. I will be purchasing an AWD mainly to tackle the winter roads in MN, won’t be towing anything. I drove both and liked the 2.4, I could feel slightly more power in the 2.0 but I felt some turbo lag in my test drive that I wasn’t crazy about. Owners I would appreciate pros and cons of both, any thoughts on the subject are welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my in February 2020 2.4 ,as a commuter. I'm 6,3 and I need something taller and bigger. Gas mileage is good,had Elantra before that,loved it but to low for me to get in and out.
I tested both and figured 2.4 is better, especially that I will be keeping it for long time. Turbos do go out after some time,one less issue to tackle.
I have to say that I'm very satisfied with its power,even from the start, its not a race car so I don't expect it to rip the asphalt.
My opinion is go with 2.4 but it's your comfort really what ever you feel better with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
We went with the 2.4L and have put about 3500 miles on since December. We were coming out of a turbo Volvo and didn't even drive the 2.0L. The 2.4 had all the power we needed, no turbo lag. We are in Wisconsin and turbo lag on ice and snow can be...interesting!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
435 Posts
Hi all, need some help deciding which engine to go with. I will be purchasing an AWD mainly to tackle the winter roads in MN, won’t be towing anything. I drove both and liked the 2.4, I could feel slightly more power in the 2.0 but I felt some turbo lag in my test drive that I wasn’t crazy about. Owners I would appreciate pros and cons of both, any thoughts on the subject are welcome, thanks!
I have the 2.0; I didn't even consider the 2.4. I feel like the lag in the 2.0 is prominent if you are flooring it from a standing start. Maybe you did this on your test drive--if so, is that how you normally drive? In normal driving conditions, with a gradual start, I don't really notice lag at all. I'm very happy with the 2.0.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For relatively-flat MN, the 2.4 will just fine. I've had my SEL 2.4 in WI for almost a year now and it's doing well. Zero issue getting up to speed on interstates and whatnot. The little bit of extra power isn't worth the added complexity of a turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tried them both, went for the turbo. Nice to have the extra power. Cold weather, low altitude, light loads not as important. Depends where you will be driving, how heavy and how high. Lag is not noticeable for 99% of driving with turbo. Only time I noted it was on the test drive. Even more important, wife liked the turbo better and she does most of the driving.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A couple of years ago we bought a new 2018 Sonata Limited Pus with the 2.0t engine. We loved that car and now my son does also as we bought a new 2020 2.0t Santa Fe Limited in Jan. As some have said, we didn't even drive the 2.4 as I like the "spunk" of the turbo and we want to tow a small RV now and then. It's hard to tell you what engine you should buy, you drove them both and only you know what's best for you. Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
20 Posts
I’ve had 3 SFs, all turbo and never an issue in nyc. This one is my first in the AWD drivetrain and so far after only 500 miles I’ve had no issue. The sport mode gives it a nice punch. I’m happy with it but we,ll see what happens after the 3 yr 30k miles mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over the last 20 years all my vehicles have been turbos. I just bought a 2020 Limited with the 2.4 and am happy with the power. This vehicle should be better in the snow and ice. The worst was a BMW X1 M Sport with a tune. 400 HP was not fun in the winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2.0 Turbo will cause more engine problems later in the vehicles life. Also more expensive to fix!🤑

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get the 2.4
It's unfortunate Hyundai did not follow Kia's lead and use the 2.0 MPI in the 2020 models. I have the 2.0 MPI in my new 2020 Kia Soul.
No Turbos has always been my approach, when entering new gas vehicle dealerships.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
435 Posts
Get the 2.4
It's unfortunate Hyundai did not follow Kia's lead and use the 2.0 MPI in the 2020 models. I have the 2.0 MPI in my new 2020 Kia Soul.
No Turbos has always been my approach, when entering new gas vehicle dealerships.
MPI--like 1980s GM cars?

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
290 Posts
I've had a 2.4 2019 SF AWD Limited near Rochester for 19+ months now. The 2.4 is fine in MN. If you need more guts put it in Sport mode! I put a hitch on to tow small trailer or wood splitter which is fine. The 2.0T is ok too just more maintenance and have read of some turbo lag & other minor issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SEL 2.4 AWD
2 Posts
We're at just over 18,000 miles on our '19 SEL 2.4 AWD and have had no need for any more power. We've been on long cross country trips and daily on our work commutes and the 2.4 has been more than enough. I also prefer going naturally aspirated for simplicity and ease of maintenance/repair as I keep cars until they are no longer worth fixing.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L AWD
46 Posts
Totally agree with RochHam and Penske1. 2.4L AWD is sufficient. I was concerned when I was looking that if I did not get a V6 like I had in the past I would be disappointed. The 2.4L has not been a disappointment at all. Like RochHam, I live in MN and it was wonderful driving this past winter. And the added bonus of the 2.4L is that the gas mileage is much better. I have routinely gotten 32-33 MPG on long trips cruising on the highway and this is with a car that is rated 27 on the Hwy with AWD. Nice and quiet as well when cruising.

Just drive them both and decide what you like the best. I am sure you will not go wrong either way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts