Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2016, but find the interior lights WAY too bright for normal night driving.
(weeked drives are small country roads, no lights. My previous car was a Saab, where you can turn off all interior lights. Perfect)
I have turned the dimmer down all the way down, but want them lower.

on another thread, I found this, for the 2012 model.

However, this model is different. It uses an integrated curiuit board (IC)
I took out the dimmer switch, and circuit board. There is no R2 resistor to replace.
But I assume that adding a resistor is still a vailable solution

I don't want to start soldering on an IC. But assume that the reostat will reduce the voltage on one of the wires out.
My thought was, rather than mess up the IC, just tap into the wires, after the clip,add a resistor, to achieve the same results.

Does anyone know
1 - if that works
2 - which wire to tap into?

Thanks
Olaf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently bought a 2016, but find the interior lights WAY too bright for normal night driving.
(weeked drives are small country roads, no lights. My previous car was a Saab, where you can turn off all interior lights. Perfect)
I have turned the dimmer down all the way down, but want them lower.

However, this model is different. It uses an integrated curiuit board (IC)
I took out the dimmer switch, and circuit board. There is no R2 resistor to replace.
But I assume that adding a resistor is still a vailable solution

I don't want to start soldering on an IC. But assume that the reostat will reduce the voltage on one of the wires out.
My thought was, rather than mess up the IC, just tap into the wires, after the clip,add a resistor, to achieve the same results.

Does anyone know
1 - if that works
2 - which wire to tap into?

Thanks
Olaf

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Wow. Not sure I get how they can be too bright if properly dimmed. You did reset the dimmer switch at night correct, as some models with the electronic circuitry may have both a day and night setting?

The only thing that I have done for driving on the Interstates or totally dark roads at night is to turn the radio display off. Beyond that the dimming of the IP has always been adequate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone has their own preferences.
Some like it bright. Some like it dark.

Mine is to have the interior as close to black as possible. I dont need to see much of the guages to drive the car, especially on an automatic.

Saab got it right - just the bare essentials. Volvo is now introducing "Night Mode"

Any ideas on how to dim the interior lights more?
(there are long threads on the 2012 model, but I can't find any for this model)

With my multimeter, I was not able to figure out how the IC controls the dash voltage and fear that the ECU get a momentary signal from the IC and manages the voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I;m looking for a pin-out diagram of the ECU.
Can someone please point me to a manual or schematic?

Thanks

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
On newer Hyundai cars the dash illumination is controlled by the instrument cluster. I think the wire your looking for will be terminal 2 of the instrument cluster connector. I suspect that wire will carry a ground side duty cycle signal that controls the brightness of the dash illumination bulbs/LEDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On newer Hyundai cars the dash illumination is controlled by the instrument cluster. I think the wire your looking for will be terminal 2 of the instrument cluster connector. I suspect that wire will carry a ground side duty cycle signal that controls the brightness of the dash illumination bulbs/LEDs.
Thats exactly what I'm thinking. So if I tap into the wire off pin 2, I should be able to add a resistor, to reduce the voltage.
Connector A (shown above) is that to the ECU? Which is beside the fuse box?

(Haven't done much wreching yet on this car, so not yet familiar with the layout)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
So if I tap into the wire off pin 2, I should be able to add a resistor, to reduce the voltage.
Yeah, it would be worth a try.

Shandit66 said:
Connector A (shown above) is that to the ECU? Which is beside the fuse box?
That's the instrument cluster connector. The electronics that control the dash illumination are built into the cluster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Autospark

I've not yet had a chance to dig into the dashboard cluster (dissabling dashboards is a job I REALLY hate).

However, I did finally manage to mount a decent light bar on the front, just over the license plate.
Mounting was a pain...I could not find an plug & play solutions. So it was back to McIvor'ing.
Its a 42" Auxbeam, with Jeep brackets. A friend held them in place, while I drill into the bumper, through the metal. SS threaded rod, nuts on both ends. I could not get my hands behind the passenger light, so hot glued a nut on a stick, held that in place and threaded the rod into it. Slow and steady does it. The wiring was easy.

Low Bean = very little penetrating power, poor visibility
Low Beam.jpg

Hi Beam = better penetration, still needs aligment. But light output is poor
Hi Beam.jpg

Aux Beam = throws much more light, a lot to the sides.
AuxBeam.jpg

I still need to adjust the Hi and Aux lights to ensure the hot spot is down the road.
Overall, its a big improvement, but still not perfect. Ideally, I'll want a pair of pencils beams to light up a patch straight ahead.

BTW - My weekend "commute" to the cottage is 3 hrs each way, on small rural roads. Little traffic, lots of curves, hills and animals.
Normally its a nice drive, but its always at night. So I need decent lights.

Olaf

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Watch your local laws. In PA using those on road would earn you a whopping big fine if caught. Even tipped down my guess is that they will still blind oncoming traffic. Ideally..Wire them via a relay so they operate only with your high beams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree.
The lightbar is hooked into the High Beams, so I can easily toggle them off.
Yes, I hate getting blinded by others, so I use them only when there is ZERO traffic.
And unless I bother others, the cops around here don't care. Most pickups have at least one row of LED light bars. Many have 2 or more.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
I drive a lot of rural roads at night and have converted both cars fog lights to HIDs. One 35w the other 55w. You aim them as high as you can get them and then wire them independant from any other lighting. Easy to do on most Hyundai.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Saab got it right - just the bare essentials. Volvo is now introducing "Night Mode"
My wife drives the 2013 SFS, I prefer my 2004 ARC it drives more like a real car should, and the Harmon Kardon while dated produces better sound . Night mode is great on long trips in the dark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts