Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me if this rant has been posted already. If not, I wonder why not!

I love my Santa Fe. I owned a 2007 GLS for a couple months before upgrading earlier this year to the 3.5 Sport. But i wish Hyundai had left the plastic strip that protects the rear lip of the trunk intact. Now, it's part of the painted body wraparound and every time i go into my vehicle i fear the **** thing is going to get scratched. When my g/f drives my car, i'm in a state of fear, presuming she'll bring it back all scratched to **** with her groceries or gym bags getting pulled in and out.

Why would they leave this a painted surface in what is supposed to be a Utility Vehicle?!!!!! :wacko:

Anyway, apart from getting the lip protected with 3M, I saw this tonight: http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4223&osCsid=3b9c5cd01648eaad1be6035ea00a7f59

My car is Black so it would look pretty good.

Thoughts? Anyone else as crazy as I am about this aspect of the 2010 Santa FE?!

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the protector you have found would be your best bet.
I have a 2007 with the protector from the factory and it works well.
Your other option if you want to call it that is to purchase from the dealer the trunk lip protector which you have to put down each time you load something and then fold up for storage. For me that just wouldn't happen and would be a waste of money.

I would also check with the parts at the dealer and see what the protector for the 2007 is worth and if it could be fitted to your 2010.

Lots of luck

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
It's so funny you should post this now because I noticed the same thing not two hours ago. My '04 had a chunky-looking black plastic protector over the rear bumper and I'm sure it absorbed a lot of abuse through the years. I will likely get mine protected with 3M when I have the front of the car done some time next week. Once I get on with a railroad I'll be saving pretty much every penny to buy a second car just for work. I don't want my brand new Santa Fe stuck in rail yards and getting all mucked up. This one is staying nice. End of story.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually contacted hyundai Consumer Affairs and they contacted the dealer. i am now being told that the lip protector should be on 2010 vehicles. I ended up sending an email to someone higher up in Hyundai to confirm or deny this. In addition, I also pointed out that the website still says that this lip protector is standard on the Santa Fe,yet it appears no 2010's have them. Hyundai consumer line again said they should be there.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Hyundai is doing what every other carmaker does when it starts finding success in the marketplace... cheapen the product for a quick profit boost. I predicted this sort of thing would happen in an earlier post. Sometimes I really hate being right.

My suggestion is to place a small gouge in the rear bumper, perhaps by dropping a skill saw on it. Now it's a utility vehicle, and you can relax and enjoy it :57:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You're right, Don....it's inevitable but at least Hyundai hasn't gone as far as Toyota (yet) in terms of cheapening. I can say without pause, however that my 2010 is light years ahead of my old '04 in every conceivable area of quality and materials. It is a great car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (stuabroad @ Sep 23 2010, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358391
Excuse me if this rant has been posted already. If not, I wonder why not!

I love my Santa Fe. I owned a 2007 GLS for a couple months before upgrading earlier this year to the 3.5 Sport. But i wish Hyundai had left the plastic strip that protects the rear lip of the trunk intact. Now, it's part of the painted body wraparound and every time i go into my vehicle i fear the **** thing is going to get scratched. When my g/f drives my car, i'm in a state of fear, presuming she'll bring it back all scratched to **** with her groceries or gym bags getting pulled in and out.

Why would they leave this a painted surface in what is supposed to be a Utility Vehicle?!!!!! :wacko:

Anyway, apart from getting the lip protected with 3M, I saw this tonight: http://www.koreanautoimports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4223&osCsid=3b9c5cd01648eaad1be6035ea00a7f59

My car is Black so it would look pretty good.

Thoughts? Anyone else as crazy as I am about this aspect of the 2010 Santa FE?!

Cheers

I have the EXACT same concerns. A protector should be standard.

Not sure where in Alberta you are, but I just went into Hyundai Gallery in Calgary and they have those exact rubber protectors in stock. They order them from Korea in the same way as that company does. Their price is $89. Considering shipping, exchange and duty, its a cheaper deal for Canadians.

One thing to note is the logo on the protector. It's the old Santa Fe logo and not the new one.

Haven't bought it yet myself as I am debating between 3M taping and this cover (or both!).

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts