Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm early on in the game with my 2019 Hyundai Sonata. I have under 9,000 miles at this time and have been following the severe maintenance schedule. There are a few items where the manual lists that certain items should be done "more frequently"

Looking for recommendations on three items:

Air filter (typically done every three years of 22,500 miles)
Spark plugs (typically done at 97,500 miles)
Climate control air filter (typically done yearly or at 7,500 miles)

Planning on doing the transmission at 60,000 miles

Thoughts as to what would constitute "more frequently" for the above three items and also if the transmission fluid should be done earlier and why.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I change the engine air filter every second oil change (3750 X 2). Cabin I check it often. If dirty, I order them on eBay.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Sonata SE White
29 Posts
The engine and cabin air filters are super easy to pull out and check on the Sonatas. Just switch them out whenever they look dirty regardless of mileage. I have a paint brush in the garage that I use to remove leaves and any larger debris from the filters between replacements.

In terms of transmission fluid, I plan to change it at 60,000 miles just for peace of mind sake.

I replaced the sparkplugs on my 2011 Sonata at 60,000 miles even though they still looked great. No difference in performance or gas mileage. On my 2019 Sonata I will check them at 60K and put them back in if they still look fresh.

One big thing to replace that is not mentioned by Hyundai is the PCV vallve. At 60,000 miles on the 2011 it became clogged and I began losing oil on highway trips. Cheap and easy to replace yourself. Check YouTube for the procedure.

When you replace the brake pads also flush and replace the brake fluid, if you really want to keep the Sonata going trouble free for a long time

I had my cooling system flushed and the coolant replaced at the severe service interval at the Hyundai dealership. The service tech chuckled when I asked him to use distilled water (which I supplied) instead of tapwater to add to the coolant. This helps the additives in the coolant to last longer and reduces scale in the system. It is hard nowadays to tell when a hose is about to fail due to age, so anything that keeps me off the side of the road is worth a little effort.

If this extra maintenance sounds a little expensive, it is initially. I've done spreadsheet comparisons on corporate aircraft maintenance and in the medium to long term a well maintained airplane is cheaper to operate because of fewer repairs.

Also, I got at least $1000 more on trade with my stack of dealership service records. Properly maintained cars are rare and go for a premium. The salesman called a few of his contacts looking for a good used car and my 2011 was resold the day I traded it in.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Air filter (typically done every three years of 22,500 miles)
Spark plugs (typically done at 97,500 miles)
Climate control air filter (typically done yearly or at 7,500 miles)

Planning on doing the transmission at 60,000 miles
Cabin air filter is def every 15k miles but you can get more out of the engine air filter. I personally just change the engine and cabin air filters every 15k miles bc it is easy to remember to do them both vs. at different intervals.

Transmission fluid is every 60k miles for "severe service" per owners manual. It says "no check, no service required" for normal conditions so I do every 60k miles. I also had it done at the dealer as I didn't want to take any chances at other shops.

No need to worry about the spark plugs til around 100k miles (for 2.4L, different for 2.0T). Plenty of threads on here where members have changed the spark plugs and they were still good at 100k miles but it is good preventative maintenance if you want to keep the car for awhile.

Don't forget about the engine coolant too. My 2016 Sonata 2.4L said every 60k miles in the owners manual but starting for the 2018 Sonata they said first 120k miles then 30k miles thereafter so you don't have to worry about it for awhile.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
301 Posts
The engine and cabin air filters are super easy to pull out and check on the Sonatas. Just switch them out whenever they look dirty regardless of mileage. I have a paint brush in the garage that I use to remove leaves and any larger debris from the filters between replacements.

In terms of transmission fluid, I plan to change it at 60,000 miles just for peace of mind sake.

I replaced the sparkplugs on my 2011 Sonata at 60,000 miles even though they still looked great. No difference in performance or gas mileage. On my 2019 Sonata I will check them at 60K and put them back in if they still look fresh.

One big thing to replace that is not mentioned by Hyundai is the PCV vallve. At 60,000 miles on the 2011 it became clogged and I began losing oil on highway trips. Cheap and easy to replace yourself. Check YouTube for the procedure.

When you replace the brake pads also flush and replace the brake fluid, if you really want to keep the Sonata going trouble free for a long time

I had my cooling system flushed and the coolant replaced at the severe service interval at the Hyundai dealership. The service tech chuckled when I asked him to use distilled water (which I supplied) instead of tapwater to add to the coolant. This helps the additives in the coolant to last longer and reduces scale in the system. It is hard nowadays to tell when a hose is about to fail due to age, so anything that keeps me off the side of the road is worth a little effort.

If this extra maintenance sounds a little expensive, it is initially. I've done spreadsheet comparisons on corporate aircraft maintenance and in the medium to long term a well maintained airplane is cheaper to operate because of fewer repairs.

Also, I got at least $1000 more on trade with my stack of dealership service records. Properly maintained cars are rare and go for a premium. The salesman called a few of his contacts looking for a good used car and my 2011 was resold the day I traded it in.
Doesn't the Hyundai coolant come come pre-mixed 50/50? Or do you mean using water for the flush?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Air filters get more efficient as they load up with dirt and close the larger pores.
Frequent check and changes let more dirt through.
I use a restriction gauge to tell when it's optimum time to change the engine air filter.
It took 43K miles for the filter in my last car (Toyota) to reach 11" restriction.
Go ahead and change the cabin filter ofter since they can develop odors and fine dirt isn't an issue.
I flush the brake fluid every 3 years, to remove moisture that degrades brake parts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Air filters get more efficient as they load up with dirt and close the larger pores.
Frequent check and changes let more dirt through.
This is certainly an interesting take. I would love to see some actual science and data on that. We should all never change air filters bc they get more efficient with more dirt! Who knew! Haha jk

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Mine wasn't changed in "umpteen" years (could have been original by the date) and it was still getting good mileage.

Attachments

Reactions: 12GLS3.5

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
301 Posts
Mine wasn't changed in "umpteen" years (could have been original by the date) and it was still getting good mileage.
You should probably change it, the dealer charges only $20 at the parts dept.
The owners manual says to change it every two years or 24,000 Miles I believe.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I changed it right after I bought it 3 years ago...you're funny! The non-Hyundai dealer also had a Toyota oil filter on it and they had a auto parts store right next to them! :sleep:
(I didn't buy it from the dealer-it was an acquaintance that bought it an serviced it there)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Transmission only gets about 1/2 capacity out every drain/refill. So, I recommend a 20k-30k miles ATF drain/refill. I would not wait until 60k if the car is a keeper or has a loan. The 6-speed is a pretty strong and reliable transmission. both the wife and I can definitely feel a shift quality change with each drain/refill. 8-speed is unknown entity and I would drain/refill more often until it is proven. Like longevity, shift quality is now my primary reason for ATF changes. My driving style has toned down over the last 40 years and my transmission last regardless of interval. I just want majority smooth and quick shifting.

Spark plugs as needed.... my 2.4GDI OE plugs had some wear performance degradation by 50k and performance improved with a change. On my non hyundai, the 100k rated plugs lasted 180k before performance degradation. So, as needed. They can be inspected, cleaned, and gap'd too.

My engine air filter is washable and cleaned at every oil change, usually with a vacuum. I wash it at least once a year. I didn't change and clean the air filter for MPG.

Due to forest debris and graded dirt roads, my cabin air filter is changed at every oil change. So, I never get more than 4k miles from a cabin air filter in the Hyundai.

I don't wait for enviroidiot or bogus marketing intervals with coolant either. I drain/refill the radiator and bottle every couple years. There is no perfect long life coolant. Many typical coolant intervals will occur when heater cores, radiators, and waterpumps fail. Avoid those failures with maintenance.

I bleed a bottle of brake fluid every couple years. 8 ounces from each bleeder is just a quart of fluid. It is required by my German cars. Funny how most of my domestics and Asian cars don't mention brake fluid changes. Obviously, also bleed at all brake repairs and upgrades.

Don't forget the bottle of FI cleaner once or twice year, even if using toptier fuel.

And, GDI engine might benefit from yearly IVD cleaning, normally from any of the spray type cleaners. Both of my GDI cars get yearly cleaning. I'm not waiting for 'failures'. I prevent them.

Rockauto has a pretty good selection of parts. I've seen way too many knockoff autoparts from Amazon/ebay.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I bleed a bottle of brake fluid every couple years. 8 ounces from each bleeder is just a quart of fluid. It is required by my German cars. Funny how most of my domestics and Asian cars don't mention brake fluid changes. Obviously, also bleed at all brake repairs and upgrades.
I believe the same...the brake fluid doesn't move, a small amount is heated and cooled constantly. Bleeding every few years should be all that is necessary.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello and Happy New Years,

Radiator Cap, Radiator Cap. Radiator Cap.

One Long Term Maintenance Item, everyone forgets, change the radiator cap. Please change the radiator cap 2-3 yrs or 20K miles. These radiator caps fail at lower pressure, allowing the coolent to boil out into the surge tank, giving the false impression your radiator is over filled, when in actuality your engine is starved of coolant. The shiny radiator cap is not an under hood ornament - please replace.

The coolent can last a long time 50,000 - 100,000 miles. I like to do a drain and refill while the coolant is still 1/2 good, or 30,000 miles or 3-4 yrs. I don’t like to do a radiator chemical flush because some of the aggressive flush (acid) can be left behind. Radiator fluid is inexpensive enough to perform a drain and refill, with premixed 50/50. Typical drain only remove 4 qts to 6 qts. The typical Hyundai 4 cyl cooling system hold 8-9 qts. Drain and refill is done every 30,000 mile after the first refill.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
301 Posts
Hello and Happy New Years,

Radiator Cap, Radiator Cap. Radiator Cap.

One Long Term Maintenance Item, everyone forgets, change the radiator cap. Please change the radiator cap 2-3 yrs or 20K miles. These radiator caps fail at lower pressure, allowing the coolent to boil out into the surge tank, giving the false impression your radiator is over filled, when in actuality your engine is starved of coolant. The shiny radiator cap is not an under hood ornament - please replace.

The coolent can last a long time 50,000 - 100,000 miles. I like to do a drain and refill while the coolant is still 1/2 good, or 30,000 miles or 3-4 yrs. I don’t like to do a radiator chemical flush because some of the aggressive flush (acid) can be left behind. Radiator fluid is inexpensive enough to perform a drain and refill, with premixed 50/50. Typical drain only remove 4 qts to 6 qts. The typical Hyundai 4 cyl cooling system hold 8-9 qts. Drain and refill is done every 30,000 mile after the first refill.
Does this fit the Sonata? Is it a good price?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why change the radiator cap? Why do the radiator drain and refill?

When the cooling system over heat the engine, it builds sludge. It is nearly impossible to clean all the small oil passages, cam phasers, hydraulic lifter, phaser solenoinds, etc.. Sludge and carbon build up is caused by overheating the oil. This cause cascading failures.

Keeping everything clean is much less expensive than the alternative.

Radiator caps are less than #20 and 1 gallon of radiator fluid 50/50 is less than $20, every 2-3 yrs.

I read the oil testing spec and antifreeze testing spec. They test the oil and antifreeze until the base become acidic and they can detect metallic contaminant. For oils it’s continuous cycle (Mobil 1) for 10,000 to 20,000 miles on a Dynamometer, not HALT/HASS like the automakers. The automakers test hot/cold, start/stop, max torque/max HP and determine 7,000 miles before detectable metal in oil. Anti-freeze is 50,000 to 100,000 before becoming acid and causing detectable corrosion. Too me this means they ran the oil and antifreeze until corrosion already occurred. The damage is already started.

This is why I change my oils every 3,000 to 4,000 miles when it’s still good with no detectable metal. I change my radiator coolant before the chemists can detect corrosion by-products at 30,000 miles.

For me it’s cheap engine insurance, DIY est $60/yr oil and filter cost and $40/3yrs antifreze and radiator cap. I drive my vehicles, in my younger years, I put 30,000 40,000 miles per year. I am neurotic and even detail the underside of my cars.

I’ve owned 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that went 300,000 miles from new, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limit 4x4 went 385,000 miles. My 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 went 189,000 miles before getting traded in for better gas mileage. My 2010 Santa Fe GLS AWD have 130,000 miles, 2010 Tucson Limited have 73,000 miles, and 2013 Sonata Hybrid limited have 85,000 miles.

I am AARP and don’t drive as much. I like to play with my vehicles. Covid have everyone stuck at home, I need escape from my girls. So I work on our cars.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts