Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Ultimate 2.0t, 7,000 miles. Just recently I have experienced several instances of severe engine lag. By severe I mean depress accelerator and nothing happens for 4-6 seconds. The first times were after the car sat overnight on cool 40* evenings and I had driven 2 miles or so. Today it happened at midday after the car sat a few hours, temp was near 60*. Has never occurred after driving the car more than say 5 miles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer time. We all wanted this warranty for a reason. Hope it's something small, but no one here is going to be able to help you. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a dealer appointment but because this is not an issue that happens every time so I expect the answer I will hear from dealer is “ we could not duplicate the issue”. Am posting here on the off chance another owner had the same issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I just got a '19 with the 2.0T, and have yet to experience this, so please do keep us informed with what info you hear from the dealer.

When you step on the throttle, the car does nothing? I wonder if it has something to do with the drive-by-wire system. Possibly a faulty pedal assembly or potentiometer failing to recognize the pedal position?

·
Registered
184 Posts
2019 Ultimate 2.0t, 7,000 miles. Just recently I have experienced several instances of severe engine lag. By severe I mean depress accelerator and nothing happens for 4-6 seconds. The first times were after the car sat overnight on cool 40* evenings and I had driven 2 miles or so. Today it happened at midday after the car sat a few hours, temp was near 60*. Has never occurred after driving the car more than say 5 miles. Any ideas?
So, engine cold, first five miles, you press the gas and nothing happens for 6 seconds? Can you better describe the scenario you’re encountering?
But you also say that when the car warms up after you drive 5 miles the issue goes away? If yes than you can rule out “boost leak” because a loose clamp will affect performance all of the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you do lots of stop and go driving?
If so take er out for a 30-40 min drive on the highway - stay in a lower gear to get the engine hotter.
If that does not work - try using redline SL-1 in your gas tank - it has the highest concentration of PEA on the market.

I have found that this 2.0 can get gummed up quickly with low speed, low RPM city driving.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes - - - clogged injectors and carboned up combustion chamber.
city driving - stop / go -

I started having starting issues around 8,000 kms - - - So I bought a borescope to look inside and was quite surprised the amount of carbon for such low kms.
Using redline SL-1 and CRC intake cleaner both did an amazing job. I change the oil every 4-5000kms and use the fuel treatment before every change.

I take a look every couple of thousand kms - - - we do mostly city and short trip driving. Engine does not get to temp that much. This seems to be hard on it- it gums up quickly.

Since doing this I have had zero starting or hesitation issues - - - the engine is smooth and responsive all the time every time.

Prior to this I experienced something similar to the OP with very noticeable hesitation issues after the car sat for a long time.

I don't really have too much faith in this Theta II engine- - - - I have had MANY other cars during my life- - almost 30.
And this engine seems to be the most sensitive out of all of them.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T FWD (Machine Gray/Espresso Gray)
1,411 Posts
Yes - - - clogged injectors and carboned up combustion chamber.
city driving - stop / go -

I started having starting issues around 8,000 kms - - - So I bought a borescope to look inside and was quite surprised the amount of carbon for such low kms.
Using redline SL-1 and CRC intake cleaner both did an amazing job. I change the oil every 4-5000kms and use the fuel treatment before every change.

I take a look every couple of thousand kms - - - we do mostly city and short trip driving. Engine does not get to temp that much. This seems to be hard on it- it gums up quickly.

Since doing this I have had zero starting or hesitation issues - - - the engine is smooth and responsive all the time every time.

Prior to this I experienced something similar to the OP with very noticeable hesitation issues after the car sat for a long time.

I don't really have too much faith in this Theta II engine- - - - I have had MANY other cars during my life- - almost 30.
And this engine seems to be the most sensitive out of all of them.
9,000 miles on my ‘19 2.0 Ultimate FWD. NO such problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
17,000 miles and no problems....car runs great.
I have had several cars with GDI engines and never had a gummed up engine. I only use Top Tier gas

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
263 Posts
Grampa style ok? Sure I do pop into Sport mode occasionally (not on today's icy blizzard roads) but @10k miles my 2019 2.4 SF Limited AWD is great. Tranny is very smooth even on very cold -5F weather. Engine temp gauge seems to be warming up slower than last winter; can't believe the 953 update would have affected that or ISG but both traits are different now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not had the opportunity to take it into the dealers yet. Did not experience any problems the past few days. Today it happened when driving home from shopping. Temp was about 70* and I was traveling up a small grade at 40 mph. When I depressed the accelerator the car did nothing, it was as if I shut it off except it was still running, it started slowing down rapidly before it finally “ took the gas”, I probably lost 10-15 mph in the process. So the operating conditions under which it occurs are widely varied, I had hoped there were specific conditions but nothing in common except it occurs within 3-4 miles of startup.

The car is driven about 80% highway, 20% city. I will post back here after I take it in for service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could be the accelerator pedal itself or the wires that connect to it. The pedal contains the system that measures the input and sends that info to the computer/throttle body. I installed the sport pedals (metal) in my 2020 so I got up close and personal with the pedals. There is also a wire/plug that goes into the pedal. The wires could have been damaged or the connector could be bad. The cable/plug is behind the pedal, but it is out in the open so it could have been damaged. I would check that out and even unplug and the reconnect the wire (be careful when you remove it... it has a little catch that has to be squeezed when removing the connector (like on a headlamp bulb connector)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Today it happened when driving home from shopping. Temp was about 70* and I was traveling up a small grade at 40 mph. When I depressed the accelerator the car did nothing, it was as if I shut it off except it was still running, it started slowing down rapidly before it finally “ took the gas”, I probably lost 10-15 mph in the process. So the operating conditions under which it occurs are widely varied,
Do you have generic floor mats, or floor mats from a previous generation Santa Fe, installed? I have a friend who described a similar issue. It turns out that her floor mats were preventing the throttle pedal from operating correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like a dangerous fault to have. There is often a delay with drive by wire electronic throttle bodies , the path being accelerator pedal , ECU , throttle body.

This can be overcome by a device that fits in the accelerator pedal wiring like a Sprint Booster , this cranks up the voltage signal to the ecu and drastically improves the first 1/8 or 1/4 of sometimes dead pedal travel .

As above , start with the accelerator pedal as the ecu wiring plugs into it .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts