Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's going slow as heck now and AutoZone pulled up 4 codes. P0031, P0037, P0498, P0646. All of which have to do with emissions, O2 sensors, and electrical. Great. I can't wait to see how much this will cost. I only have <2 years 37,000 miles on my car, so all of it SHOULD be covered under warranty, but I'd love to see what ridiculous excuse they'll give. And if they give me a stupid excuse, I'll see about going to a different dealership I guess.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sounds to me like an exhaust related problem. Don't you have a catback and have been driving with a CEL on? I was sure I remember you saying that before. It's possible they've been around for a while but you ignored it because the CEL light always being on anyway. Hopefully no long term damage if so...

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never once had a CEL as a catback does not affect the emissions of the car. What's interesting though is that about 1 month ago, I was having issues where I hit the remote unlock for my car and it just sat there and did nothing. I unlocked the car with the key and turned the ignition and the alarm went off. Now it's doing it again with a CEL and emissions codes. I have a feeling there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with the electrical in my car. I can't think of a single modification that I've done that would have this kind of impact. Subwoofer/amp is set to only turn on when the radio is on. LEDs hardly use ANY amperage or voltage. The intake is a HYUNDAI endorsed product. The catback has no bearing on any emissions components. I have no idea guys. I give up. Let's also not forget that my TPMS light has been on for the last 10,000 miles even after my dealership has tried repeatedly to replace components and turn it off. My car has turned to fail :(

All I can say is ALL of this better be covered under warranty. If these repairs had been collision oriented the car would have been totaled long ago. Instead they're relatively small repairs all the time.

It should also be mentioned that yesterday, prior to my CEL coming on, I had the A/C on and it was COOL at best... just the day before it had been freezing, so there's definitely something wrong in that aspect as well.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
P0646:  A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit Low

per hmaservice "If there is Short to ground in A/C control relay control circuit, PCM sets DTC P0646."

That explains the poor A/C performance.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Your AC and alarm/locks problems could be as simple as a corroded ground. You should check the main grounds for corrosion.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
P0031 HO2S Heater Circuit Low (Sensor1)

P0037 HO2S Heater Circuit Low(Sensor2)

P0498 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit Low

P0646 A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit Low

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've seen this before. Ur load on ur alternator is heavy it seems. Low circuts all around. Ur horn prolly dulling, lights dimmer, ac slow, the o2 circut is a heated circut. theyre running lazy, not getting up to temp fast enough, another cause of ineffecient electical. Id hook the car up to a charger, and charge the batter, remove the codes. Drive. go from there. If it is the case, I'd recommend a capacitor for your sound system, as well as a good grounding kit. I wouldn't jump to the dealership just yet, nor buy a battery. Also they may blame it on something you've installed, which you really probably wouldnt want to hear. :( sorry ninja. Good luck, take my advice sir.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I concur with the analysis above. If it was my car, I'd be taking off the battery cables and cleaning all the connections.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Definitely the charging system after seeing what the codes mean. Could be a weak battery but the alternator should provide ample power unless you're running a massive sound system. A weak battery will not provide enough power to crank the engine fast.

There are places that can test your battery and alternator for free. If the both check out good, inspect your grounds and alt to battery wiring.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah my sound system isn't all that overwhelming. 400 W RMS sub, and I never have it turned up more than halfway. There's really no logical reason that I can think of, unless the battery itself is just rofl. I mean a 90 Amp alternator should be plenty sufficient for what I'm running, I'd imagine. I'm only running the sub/amp and HIDs. 35W HIDs at that. I've seen way more electrical load goin on in these cars on this forum than what I have going on and never the problems I'm running into.

Guess I'll try to get the battery and alternator tested and go from there.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
If you're still on the original battery, it's most certainly rofl. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah still on the battery the car shipped with and sat on the lot with. I hope that's the only problem, cause it'll be covered 100% under warranty. :D

·
1,565 Posts
Replace the battery regardless, The original one is crappy to begin with. Check your battery connections (and clean them) on both ends of all wires.

Don't get a cap, it's a band-aid (plus, it's a good idea in general to not have potential explosives in the interior of your car); if you need to, you should upgrade the electrical system to handle the load (also a good time to upgrade the battery). Do it right.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Tune up time??

·
Registered
556 Posts
The battery and the alternator are on the same load circuit. There's to much stress on your alternator because your battery is working inefficiently. A battery dosen't just start a car. Get a better battery, and get a capacitor...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ Jun 5 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330137
Replace the battery regardless, The original one is crappy to begin with. Check your battery connections (and clean them) on both ends of all wires.

Don't get a cap, it's a band-aid (plus, it's a good idea in general to not have potential explosives in the interior of your car); if you need to, you should upgrade the electrical system to handle the load (also a good time to upgrade the battery). Do it right.
x2

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (StevenWang @ Jun 5 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330066
I've seen this before. Ur load on ur alternator is heavy it seems. Low circuts all around. Ur horn prolly dulling, lights dimmer, ac slow, the o2 circut is a heated circut. theyre running lazy, not getting up to temp fast enough, another cause of ineffecient electical. Id hook the car up to a charger, and charge the batter, remove the codes. Drive. go from there. If it is the case, I'd recommend a capacitor for your sound system, as well as a good grounding kit. I wouldn't jump to the dealership just yet, nor buy a battery. Also they may blame it on something you've installed, which you really probably wouldnt want to hear. :( sorry ninja. Good luck, take my advice sir.
DING DING DING! We have a winner, believe it or not.

The dealership said the battery is basically completely dead. The car's running primarily on the alternator the entire time because there's nothing left of the battery to support the alternator. And believe it or not, the mechanics and service staff actually recommended that I get a battery designed for audio as well as a capacitor. Now I have decisions to make :(

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Jun 7 2010, 08:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330715
DING DING DING! We have a winner, believe it or not.

The dealership said the battery is basically completely dead. The car's running primarily on the alternator the entire time because there's nothing left of the battery to support the alternator. And believe it or not, the mechanics and service staff actually recommended that I get a battery designed for audio as well as a capacitor. Now I have decisions to make :(
Thanks ninja for giving me recognition. Use a Yellow Top (DEEP CYCLE) Starting/Deep Cycle. The Battery Is D35. I have an extra optima sitting around, but there's no way I can get it to you. Idk if I can ship it, but I'd let it go for 100 dollars, and shipping. It retails 300. Look around, but in all honesty get an Optima. Yellow or Blue. They're a 3 year warranty, and usually last the lifetime of a vehicle. They're meant for HEAVY load. And you seem to be heading to a good dealership, which is quite the surprise. They made a good diagnosis. Let me know on your choices on batteries. I'll see if I can give some insight on them seeing as I've TESTED almost every battery on the market from Braile to Interstate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts