Hyundai Forums banner

Servicing Transmission

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  wallyjay 
#1 ·
Hello hello hello!!

I was hoping to do this prior to surgery but was unable to get around to it, now I must wait until next week.

To replace the ATF on the 04 2.7 I just remove the cover at the bottom and remove the bolt that acts as the drain plug? Wait for all the fluid to be removed and pour back same attempt that was removed? No filter?

Also I bought the castrol ATF, states it's good for SPIII

Any tips, advice? Any other things I may require?

Transmission shifts good, I don't experience and major issues, maybe a slight slip very rarely when changing gears.. What are the chances switching the fluid will make it worse?

#5 ·
I don't recall anybody commenting that changing out trans fluid caused a problem. The washer is metal. I have re-used mine at least three times. If you want to be safe, pick up a new one from the dealer or parts place.
When you remove the plug you will have a lot of fine metal on the end of the plug. Wipe it clean. Don't freak out about the amount of metal you will see that has collected there. That is normal.
If the fluid looks really bad, you may want to do another change out after a couple weeks.
Good luck.

#9 ·
More and more I've been thinking about having bought the Castrol ATF and not the dealer ATF

Should I return the one I bought and buy from the dealer? Don't want to risk it if there's even a small chance it may cause an issue
I've used Castrol multi-import for 50k miles now. No problems whatsoever. You could change it out twice the same day. Just drive a mile then back and do it again. That should put you at 75% new fluid or so.

#8 ·
Castrol is a good choice. I personally prefer Valvoline Max Life in the red bottle.
I have used this for years in all of my vehicles including Hyundai and Kia. It meets the spec for Hyundai.
I like it because it is a synthetic oil. It has improved the shifting in the transmissions including the Hyundai.
I have also noticed that it stays cleaner looking longer than the other brands.

#10 ·
Done. I let it drain for about 45 mins, then when it slowed down, I turned on the vehicle, starting to drain rapidly again. Cleaned throttle body and IAC while waiting. After 2 hours of draining I had 4 litres or so out. Feels nice. Shifts smooth. Seems almost the same as before. Cleaned the drain plug bolt thoroughly, was super dirty.

How many litres total are housed in there?

#12 ·
Wow 8.5 litres, so barely half was taken out. I may do this again in a week as suggested above to clean more of it.

The old fluid was dark, and it looked as if there were tiny chunks in the waste container. I don't see much of a difference but I'm glad it's been done and I will likely do it again in a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.