Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a few questions that I need to ask you guys. I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 82,000 Miles. Most of my commute has been on highway, but it now has turned into more stop and go traffic. Since I have want to keep this car for a long time (+200K), I would like to know what I should do, besides following the owner's manual.

History:
-78,000 - finished with using stock tires
-72,000 - finished using stock front brakes and rotors
-XX,XXX- I have been doing my own 15K Mobil1 High Performance Syn. Oil change
-XX,XXX- Installed winter tires for my northern trips (Michelin X-Ice 2 16")

Work to be done:

-82,000 - Transmission flush or fill? (Hyundai dealership has told me to do a flush, however other forums have stated drain and fill) I would like to use Amsoil ATF, as I do a lot of driving. Do you guys recommend any other ATF?

-82,000 - Outer left Tie Rod (this might be causing the car to go left from day one).

-82,000 - Purchase new all season tires for next year (Looking at Michelin PS3)

-82,000 - May need to have the shocks/springs replaced. Any suggestions on which brand to get? I would like to ride on air shocks, as it will gives the ride a little more comfort, but I am looking for same or better performance as stock.

MISC.
-Fastest I have gone is 135mph
-Still on stock battery
-still on stock shocks/springs
-still on stock rear breaks and rotors
-Installed on K&N air filter (I have been cleaning it every 30K-40K Miles)

Any advise you guys can give me that would be great. I would like to purchase some of these items (Shocks/springs etc) during black Friday, I feel like there might be a better deals then. Thanks Sonata Owners!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Have you had any oil analysis done with the 15k intervals? Thats double the 7500 recommended by the manul. Hopefully you dont have any engine trouble before 100k.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Drain and fill for ATF is sufficient if you do it at regular intervals. Hyundai Corp doesn't recommend flushes...I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends them. I just did mine a few weeks ago. I used Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I felt that way about the 15k oil change, but Mobil1 does guarantee if anything happens to the engine, they would cover it. I feel the car does seem to perform better with it. I have also used it on my 2008 Honda Accord and I haven't ran into any problems. I usually change my oil around 12K around the summer.

I dont know if you Amsoil is any better.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I dont know if you Amsoil is any better.
I use conventional oil. My point is if you have any engine problems not related to oil, your warranty is pretty much null and void because of your long oil change interval. And ExxonMobil is not going to pay for any non oil related engine problems. I'm sure they only guarantee that you won't have any OIL related issues while using their product. If you blow a fuel injector, waterpump or coil pack etc, you're SOL.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I use conventional oil. My point is if you have any engine problems not related to oil, your warranty is pretty much null and void because of your long oil change interval. And ExxonMobil is not going to pay for any non oil related engine problems. I'm sure they only guarantee that you won't have any OIL related issues while using their product. If you blow a fuel injector, waterpump or coil pack etc, you're SOL.
Well the OP only has 18,000 miles until the warranty doesn't matter anyway. I'm with you though. My oil change intervals are 7,000 - 7,500 miles on conventional. I had an analysis done on two different changes and they came back good. So once my warranty is up (I'm at 61,000 miles now) I plan on going to 10,000 mile intervals and have it checked again. I'm confident the oil can go that long but I'm keeping the change intervals under 7,500 strictly for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Hello all,

I have a few questions that I need to ask you guys. I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 82,000 Miles. Most of my commute has been on highway, but it now has turned into more stop and go traffic. Since I have want to keep this car for a long time (+200K), I would like to know what I should do, besides following the owner's manual.

History:
-78,000 - finished with using stock tires
-72,000 - finished using stock front brakes and rotors
-XX,XXX- I have been doing my own 15K Mobil1 High Performance Syn. Oil change
-XX,XXX- Installed winter tires for my northern trips (Michelin X-Ice 2 16")

Work to be done:

-82,000 - Transmission flush or fill? (Hyundai dealership has told me to do a flush, however other forums have stated drain and fill) I would like to use Amsoil ATF, as I do a lot of driving. Do you guys recommend any other ATF?

-82,000 - Outer left Tie Rod (this might be causing the car to go left from day one).

-82,000 - Purchase new all season tires for next year (Looking at Michelin PS3)

-82,000 - May need to have the shocks/springs replaced. Any suggestions on which brand to get? I would like to ride on air shocks, as it will gives the ride a little more comfort, but I am looking for same or better performance as stock.

MISC.
-Fastest I have gone is 135mph
-Still on stock battery
-still on stock shocks/springs
-still on stock rear breaks and rotors
-Installed on K&N air filter (I have been cleaning it every 30K-40K Miles)

Any advise you guys can give me that would be great. I would like to purchase some of these items (Shocks/springs etc) during black Friday, I feel like there might be a better deals then. Thanks Sonata Owners!

OP we are in the same boat for mileage (80.5K here). So my replies are from experience.

Tranny should be drain and fill ONLY. DO NOT FLUSH---it is in the manual not to do this. Also, you risk blowing the crap out of your converter into the transmission. ATF recommendations from various members point to Valvoline products, as they meet the Hyundai SP III and IV guidelines.

Your pull is most likely due to alignment issues. I just had my car aligned when they replaced the right CV axle and it was way off. Not to say that you aren't due for front end parts (most likely ball joints) but have a good shop look at your alignment. If they suggest the tie rod, get it then. Also, did you have the recall performed for the left pull issue?

I just put on Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and they are really nice. So you are going good with that.

Have not replaced any of the shocks/springs on the Sled but I have had the back struts out (did complete brake and rotor job this spring) and OEM seems fine to me. Unless you are going for looks, then you may want to check some of the other posts regarding lowering springs/kits. I will probably do all struts in another 40K

**BTW---82K and just now replacing tires and brakes/rotors??** I am shocked and awed at the same time!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, do you guys recommend any other these oils from this link (amsoil)

2011 HYUNDAI SONATA 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code [C] - AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

I have heard a lot of people have switched to this oil (from OEM) and found that the car performed smoother and better. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this.

I also do an alignment and tire rotation every month, so I am lead to believe that my outer tire rod is gone. Are there any DIY videos and instructions on this?

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMO if you do oil changes frequently, (under 8k per change) theres no need for amsoil. Mobil1 0-20 or 5-20 will be just fine. there's no appreciable difference in short intervals. With longer intervals amsoil is reported to do slightly better but at double the price ( right now a 6 pack of mobil1 is 26.50 @ costco) why bother. Also DO NOT FLUSH the tranny fluid. just drain and refill. if you want to use AMSOIL for the refill, thats a good place for it. as you prolly won't need to change the tranny fliud again for the life of the car, even at around 200k.
If you are getting an alignment every month, something is wrong. and the place doing your alignment should be telling you this. at some point your outer rods and lower joints will need to be replaced. I have not yet replaced my shocks and struts, so far they are fine and i'm a bit past 85k

good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts