Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my i10 for 15 months and it’s first service was due in April 2020 but because of Covid 19 my service was differed to July 2020. I am thinking about taking out the service plan for 5 years and was wondering if it was worth it. I plan to take my car to the main dealer for the next 5 years Of servicing. Is it cheaper to just pay for the services as they come up or does it work out cheaper to get the service plan? Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not sure if it works out cheaper, but I'm of the opinion to pay for it as it comes up. My reasoning is five years is a long time and things change. Two years down the line you could be hankering for a change or your car could get written off. You have to consider the consumables as well like brakes that are only warranted for two years and that's not for wear and tear either. Brakes are something that you can get talked into to replace too soon and once you've spent the money on new discs and pads it's gone. Better to get your money's worth safely of course and let the next owner pay for it. The fourth service is the eyewatering one and you can always put a bit aside to help out. I've looked at the servicing issue and come to the conclusion that the main dealer servicing is quite reasonable most years. I looked at a good garage locally and initially the service price looked good and then saw £40 extra for brake fluid change and more for pollen filter. Booked through Hyundai you get the best price. I bought my i10 at two years old have had the three services and MOTs taking it up to the five years. They phoned me up as soon as they started working again collected the car brought it back fully valeted and no advisories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I called my local dealer & asked the price of the next 5 year services & it worked out more expensive than the service plan. I’ve got to look into it a bit more.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I guess they'll make it look good to tie you in. I'm more for keeping my choices open and resisting all attempts at upselling on items I can get done cheaper at independents. Buying the car is enough of an ordeal fending off GAP insurance, fancy paint coatings, tyre insurance and anything else they can throw at you.
After five years sixth service is £229 seventh is £169 eighth is £229 and those are inclusive and you get roadside assistance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a service plan for my I10 (1.0 Premium), which i bought from Evans Halshaw Hyundai (Jan 2015). I initially had a Hyundai 3 year EMAC service plan at £10.96/month but for years 4 and 5 it went up to £17.23. There were benefits of locked-in labour charges and parts discounts, but I can't remember the details. I believe the service plan can be transferred to another car.
Some info:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a service plan for my I10 (1.0 Premium), which i bought from Evans Halshaw Hyundai (Jan 2015). I initially had a Hyundai 3 year EMAC service plan at £10.96/month but for years 4 and 5 it went up to £17.23. There were benefits of locked-in labour charges and parts discounts, but I can't remember the details. I believe the service plan can be transferred to another car.
Some info:
Thanks. I have now decided to take out the service plan. My 1st service is due so I’ve had to book it in for next week. Endeavour is my main dealer & without the plan they quoted me £196 but with the plan I payed £137. Also when I’ve finished paying the monthly fee then the next 5 years of service & MOT are taken care of.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds okay, but service plans do not guarantee that all your motoring costs are taken care of for five years. There are still all the consumables brakes, tyres, batteries, wipers that are constantly pushed in health checks. These items are either not covered or for two years. Front discs and pads £222, wipers £49, tyres well above local suppliers. The service advisors are constantly pushing these extras. Mine is out of warranty now and it's highly likely I shall keep up the servicing, but if I don't like something I can walk. Discs and pads I can save at least £72 locally at a family run independent.
There is no such thing as a free lunch they will get their money back somehow. I've been driving since 1966 and I've had some experience along the way. When your car is on their ramp and the nice lady is on the phone saying you need this and that it can get complicated. Oh your aircon needs a service could be one of many.
Here's an example from this forum on how your costs can rise

·
Registered
95 Posts
I took a service plan whit my car (paid up front) partly because I intended to keep it the full 5 years, partly because the sales man gave me a good discount (and a set of mats and tank of fuel lol) and partly because of the way service costs were rising I thought it would save in the long run.

I have to say though that I now agree with Oldbazza70 and think it would be better on a year by year basis.
Things like pads, wiper blades etc I intend to check or replace myself before the service, but it still means I am tied to where I go and what they say needs replacing. Even if I replace it myself.

with 20/20 hindsight, not the best plan

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have had six new cars over my motoring life and the last one was in 1990. In those days you didn't have the long list of extras that salespersons now add to the bill and then give you the monthly repayment figure. Since then I try to buy two years old still in warranty and keep for five years at least. In the meantime I put away cash to finance the next one and turn down every extra plonked on the table. For the dealership the service plan goes in with the deal itself along with GAP costing four times what you can get it online for.
Typical preparation option
Glasscoat £349
GAP/RTI £349
SMART PROTECT £399
FUEL £30
LUXURY MATS £70
Add that lot to the finance and you can see why I don't want to know.
I like my independence and will only continue dealing with somebody if they treat me well and fairly. Just the £49 for wiper blades is a glaring example my car is sporting Wilko wipers at £4 each and they are fine.

ps don't get me started on depreciation:(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes indeed - never take the GAP insurance and special coatings!

My service plan experience over 5 years was good. I have the advantage of a technical background and always checked the car before service. It helps cut through any dealer BS scare stories. Still got the car and intend keeping for many years to come. Local non-dealer servicing for the future as there's a very good independent about 2 miles away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m going to stick with the service plan & when the 5 years is up I will go elsewhere. Then I know that if anything goes wrong with the car in the first 5 years then my warranty won’t be void.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes indeed - never take the GAP insurance and special coatings!

My service plan experience over 5 years was good. I have the advantage of a technical background and always checked the car before service. It helps cut through any dealer BS scare stories. Still got the car and intend keeping for many years to come. Local non-dealer servicing for the future as there's a very good independent about 2 miles away.
Sounds good I'm keeping mine too. It's automatic and similar are selling now at dealerships nearly three years later for not much less than I paid. I'm only doing about 3k a year so could even be my last car.

I’m going to stick with the service plan & when the 5 years is up I will go elsewhere. Then I know that if anything goes wrong with the car in the first 5 years then my warranty won’t be void.
I agree with that, but look at the warranty terms and you'll find so much excluded. There's a nice video showing manufacturing and it looks a quality product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts