Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very confused on when to service my vehicle. Salesman told me on thing (first service 3500 miles then every 5000). Service tech told me something else (first service 3000 miles then every 4000). The manuals say something different and the Hyundai dealership (different then where I bought the car) on the way to work is telling me every 3750. On top of that Blue Link was emailing me at 3K telling me to make an appointment.

What guide is everyone following for oil changes, fuel additive and rotating tires?

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
What guide is everyone following for oil changes, fuel additive and rotating tires?
The book is the bible and lists MAXIMUM recommended intervals.

Doing things a little sooner than that is your call.
Doing them a LOT sooner than that is just extra $$$ for the service shops and usually accomplished nothing useful.

The only thing I don't quite understand is why they make the tire rotation and oil change intervals different. I change the oil between 6 and 7K miles and do the tires then too.

Techron every 6 months or every second oil change.....whichever comes first.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I believe the books states 3K miles for a turbo. I rotate the tires every second oil change.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
The manual is what Hyundai goes by. Most people at the dealer wants you in there early and often to pay them money. Just like changing your windshield wipers every month will give you the best rain clearing and won't cause any harm, it is overkill and is just a money drain. Read your manual, know it well, stick to the miles. A little early is fine, a little late can be ok. Just be smart when you do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the manual and it says 3750 miles. I will just rotate tires every other oil change as well.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Salesman told me on thing (first service 3500 miles then every 5000). Service tech told me something else (first service 3000 miles then every 4000). The manuals say something different and the Hyundai dealership (different then where I bought the car) on the way to work is telling me every 3750. On top of that Blue Link was emailing me at 3K telling me to make an appointment.

As stated before by myself and others, GO BY THE BOOK! Listening to the dealership personnel (especially the service advisers) for recommended services will only help to lighten your wallet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated before by myself and others, GO BY THE BOOK! Listening to the dealership personnel (especially the service advisers) for recommended services will only help to lighten your wallet.
I agree but the place I bought my car did state 3k for first visit then 4k for each visit after. 4k is close to 3750.

However the dealer closer to work was strict in telling me what the book does say which is every 3750. So kudos to them for being honest.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@MWHIP: The oil chage intervals for a Turbo are diff. Read you Manual!! It clearly states the FIRST oil change at 3000mi.....then every 5000 !!! You do NOT need fuel additive if you use Top Tier gas....which you should be doing!!!! If not...one bottle with every oil change!! Read your manual...pay attention the the turbo engine intervals..they are different from a non-turbo engine!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
May I ask a related question? I have a 2013 2.0T Limited. I work from home and generally put only 10 miles/week or so on the car. How often should I do oil changes and tire rotations?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I have low use vehicles, as well. I change yearly. Tire rotations can really wait for mileage. It's done to account for even wear. Just sitting, you're not getting any wear. More likely to dry rot than to get uneven wear with that little use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
May I ask a related question? I have a 2013 2.0T Limited. I work from home and generally put only 10 miles/week or so on the car. How often should I do oil changes and tire rotations?
I would still follow Hyundai's oil change intervals since you want to keep the vehicle in warranty. Not driving is actually harder on a vehicle than driving it under some conditions. I would not think the tire rotation would be so critical since you aren't actually putting any wear on them.

I would try to drive the car a bit more....get it good and hot to evaporate any moisture in the oil and fuel...and to make sure you are recharging the battery....10miles a week may not be enough to keep it charged. just my opinion. I could be wrong!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
generally put only 10 miles/week or so on the car. How often should I do oil changes and tire rotations?
Tires strictly by miles.

Your use qualifies for severe service and probably should do the oil every 6 months.

BUT.....maybe even more important is getting it out on the highway every couple of weeks for at least 30 miles or so to get the "juices flowing" good. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
As said above, the maintenance schedule for turbo is different - every 3K miles.
I had the 1st oil change at 1K miles and then every 3K, have a tire rotation with every other oil change and put in Techron at every oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As said above, the maintenance schedule for turbo is different - every 3K miles.
I had the 1st oil change at 1K miles and then every 3K, have a tire rotation with every other oil change and put in Techron at every oil change.
Where are you getting your info? I am going by the manual and what the tech told me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts