Hyundai Forums banner

901 - 917 of 917 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lesser of two evil situations to me. I would choose to have the car running in limp mode, 45mph with flashers on and in right hand lane vs sitting disabled on side of road for hours awaiting tow truck (3 times no less).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just spoke with the dealer to ask if I could come in for service, but refuse the update. They said that I could, but that if I do, and there is an engine issue and I have not allowed them to do the software update, the engine would not be warranteed. Is that correct? Can they refuse to honor the 100k powertrain warranty just because I was wary of this service campaign? Does this mean that even if get service done elsewhere, I am losing the ability to get an engine failure addressed? Does anyone have a sense what percentage of people are unlucky enough to have adverse results?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just spoke with the dealer to ask if I could come in for service, but refuse the update. They said that I could, but that if I do, and there is an engine issue and I have not allowed them to do the software update, the engine would not be warranteed. Is that correct? Can they refuse to honor the 100k powertrain warranty just because I was wary of this service campaign? Does this mean that even if get service done elsewhere, I am losing the ability to get an engine failure addressed? Does anyone have a sense what percentage of people are unlucky enough to have adverse results?
I have gotten calls from my dealer to make sure I took full advantage of the free oil change by end of last year with the update and I politely declined without as much as an "OK" from them. BUT both my vehicles ('13 Sonata GLS and '14 SFS 2.4) were actually part of the original lawsuit and were covered long before they came up with the genius 953.

2015+ they've "voluntarily" extended the maintenance. Not a lawyer but the earlier models being actually mentioned in the settlement probably have a better leg to stand on than the later years which were "voluntarily" extended out of the goodness of their heart. At the end of the day though, it's up to the company providing the warranty to either provide the service or give you a hard time/deny it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you have to take it in for a covered repair. im afrrad you must let them perform any mandated updates. I dont see escaping this. Not if you want your extended warranty

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
If you have to take it in for a covered repair. im afrrad you must let them perform any mandated updates. I dont see escaping this. Not if you want your extended warranty
This is not a recall or mandated...it is a "product improvement/safety" software update. It is elective and not required...but they would "like" you to get it because it makes them look "proactive".

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is not a recall or mandated...it is a "product improvement/safety" software update. It is elective and not required...but they would "like" you to get it because it makes them look "proactive".
Im thinking i need to pick a stronger password, cause i didnt type that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What? We’re supposed to be getting a free oil change too with the 953 update? Dealer didn’t offer that Is there a link to Hyundai site saying this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've gotten emails and postcards to come in for the update/oil change...thankfully they have ended.

·
Registered
12 Posts
like the AT&T commercial states "just ok is not ok" so what is your definition of "relatively safe" . I choose to avoid it but open to stepping up if Hyundai offers me more than a measly mineral oil change and a pittance of 20k warranty extension while KIA owners get unlimited warranty.
The settlement in process gives unlimited warranty to all 2011-2018 Sonatas, it only seems the 2019s are mostly out of luck there.

Personally I've been putting it off, but my early build 2015 bought CPO is definitely going to be needing a replacement. It's got some light pinging 3rd/4th gear on gear changes despite top tier fuels, occasional fuel cleaner (not that it does anything on DI) and burns about 1.5-1.75 qts of oil over 5k at 69k on the clock. I figure I'll take it in, have them do the update and request an oil consumption test at the same time when I have motivation. If it grenades, it grenades. I'll take my new motor and run the car into the ground with the lifetime coverage.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The settlement in process gives unlimited warranty to all 2011-2018 Sonatas, it only seems the 2019s are mostly out of luck there.

Personally I've been putting it off, but my early build 2015 bought CPO is definitely going to be needing a replacement. It's got some light pinging 3rd/4th gear on gear changes despite top tier fuels, occasional fuel cleaner (not that it does anything on DI) and burns about 1.5-1.75 qts of oil over 5k at 69k on the clock. I figure I'll take it in, have them do the update and request an oil consumption test at the same time when I have motivation. If it grenades, it grenades. I'll take my new motor and run the car into the ground with the lifetime coverage.
As you may know some people mention there is a correlation to increasing oil consumption to bearing failure - and apparently not necessarily or always linked to low oil level. Would make sense that Hyundai is willing to test and replace engines using excessive oil because one way or another it's highly likely they will fail.
I've seem posts mention the unlimited warranty extension and a news release snippet quoted on here but it mentions KIA and Hyundai in the article, KIA of course already providing unlimited miles and never seemed to make sense while Hyundai didn't follow suit - pun intended.
I continue to use synthetic oil with 5 or 6 k change intervals(maybe out of habit), middle of the road filters but don't do stuff like some on here advocate - high cost syn filters, premium fuel, gdi intake treatments, draining tranny fluid every 3rd oil change, did a couple of techron adds but that was many years ago and definately don't fill my oil filters up before screwing them on and completely refused to participate in Hyundai's over priced spark plug game, stayed with denso.
So far nothing noticeable re oil consumption - but it's a flawed engine and that could change at any time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As you may know some people mention there is a correlation to increasing oil consumption to bearing failure - and apparently not necessarily or always linked to low oil level. Would make sense that Hyundai is willing to test and replace engines using excessive oil because one way or another it's highly likely they will fail.
I've seem posts mention the unlimited warranty extension and a news release snippet quoted on here but it mentions KIA and Hyundai in the article, KIA of course already providing unlimited miles and never seemed to make sense while Hyundai didn't follow suit - pun intended.
I continue to use synthetic oil with 5 or 6 k change intervals(maybe out of habit), middle of the road filters but don't do stuff like some on here advocate - high cost syn filters, premium fuel, gdi intake treatments, draining tranny fluid every 3rd oil change, did a couple of techron adds but that was many years ago and definately don't fill my oil filters up before screwing them on and completely refused to participate in Hyundai's over priced spark plug game, stayed with denso.
So far nothing noticeable re oil consumption - but it's a flawed engine and that could change at any time.
You got it, it's a flawed design and if I had done a bit more looking into it before buying I'd probably have gone with a different car for a commuter and kid hauler. But it sounds like after the settlement goes through anyone that submits to 953 will get the unlimited warranty. I'm not overly concerned if it grenades itself, they will put a new one in and worst case I'll drive my fun car while it happens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To me the situation is very simple.

When you buy a car, the manufacturer gives you a warranty. The warranty is for repair or replacement of parts until a certain limit, like 5 years or 60,000 miles, and similar.

In special cases like this one with Hyundai, a defect has been detected and it has become the common denominator in many cars, there is a failure in the engine. This special situation has caused an extension of the warranty as a kind of "compensation" in case the vehicle fails a few months or miles right after the warranty expired.

In the case of Hyundai, the warranty of the affected cars has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

You drive a car with the defective engine and you car fails right after 120,000 miles, then the repairs will be on your own. This is very simple and easy to understand.

The software update is just to prevent a failure of the engine without warning.

With the car I own, the update has been installed when I took the car to a dealer because the engine had an epileptic attack once, and we even recorded in a video the crazy shaking.

We took the car to a dealer near my house and they found "no problems", plus they didn't tell us about the installation of the update they did that day. It is not in the "bill".

(By the way, I know I must not mention the name of that dealer, but they are crooks. We took the car to check the engine alone -under warranty- and they charged us for a bumper to bumper analysis. Even worst, after they found "nothing" they told us to go to another dealer -they gave us the location- to be check by the other mechanic over there. We took the car to the other dealer the same day and they performed another test of the "sound" of the engine, They also found it was normal, but told us they have our car on record in case the engine fails they will replace it under warranty, an extended warranty).

Recently we received a brochure offering several services at discount price from a third dealer, and a coupon was included for a free installation of the update. We called to this other dealer to make an appointment but after giving them the serial number of our vehicle, they did a check and told us the update was already installed months ago, in October, when we took the car to the other dealers. I don't know which one of the dealers installed the update, it doesn't show in any of the two papers received from them)

I think nothing is perfect, cars have a warranty to a certain limit and we the buyers can only expect the car to be fully functional under those terms. By following such a policy, American companies used to make their cars to last barely over the offered warranty and for this reason people changed their taste for cars which lasted way over the warranty limit, which were cars from Europe, Japan, Korea. Today, many models from American cars have also better engines and transmissions which last long time, way over their offered warranty.

I'm conscious that when reaching the warranty limit my car still is working fine, then my investment has gave me the expected benefit, and after that, every additional day and mile is "making profit" from the investment.

And here is my own situation having a dilemma, if wishing for my car to break down today or wishing my car to be in good shape up to the 120,000 miles warranty, and after that... who knows.

I know the engine behaved weird and I heard the knocking sound very loud, and I don't know why, with all these symptoms in my car, I play the blind person and I don't see a problem because "now" the car is not showing problems "anymore"... but the problem still is in there.

I look at my car as looking a guy with cancer, no symptoms show everyday but sporadic ones from time to time... but the disease is growing inside.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I look at my car as looking a guy with cancer, no symptoms show everyday but sporadic ones from time to time... but the disease is growing inside.
My situation is different, a bit more optimistic...I bought a high-mileage car that performed like new and for $5,300. It has been over 2 yrs and the mpgs are still in the low 40's...original engine and spark plugs and the odo is listed below.
The design is not flawed...the execution may have been. "Someone" knows where the failures come from...but certainly, there are many on the road without these issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I finally took the plunge and got the 953 update for my 2017 Sonata Limited. Driven it more than a thousand miles since the update, no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update it problems show up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just passed 22k km (almost 14k mi) and 7 months since I got the update and still no issues. Almost 65k km (40k miles) on the clock and no major issues. I guess I won the engine lottery... for now at least...

901 - 917 of 917 Posts