Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 776 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this done and their cars check engine light came on?

or

Have you had this done and your check engine light did not come on after the service?

I have read quite a few stories of vehicles going into limp mode after the update. Trying to avoid that at all possible costs. Will not get it done until this issue is resolved. So no visits to the dealer for my two 2015 Sonata's.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Topic already running...

My thought, skip it all together,, all Hyundai trying to do is add program logic to PCM to multi task Knock sensor so PCM can distinguish engine knock from rod knock,,, like we cant hear rod knock in first place and know engine is done

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, this week, I was informed that Hyundai told the dealership to replace a harness and the knock sensor. They mentioned Hyundai wanted them to test the fuel system to check things and possibly replace the oxygen sensor based upon the results of the test, just in case. Yesterday I got the call that the patch harness and knock sensor were replaced, and no other replacements were required. I need to go pick up my car.

I also called the Hyundai Safety Recalls and Service Campaigns line (https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/C...Campaign/Index, (855) 671-3059) and spoke to an agent who explained the details he had for the service campaign 953. The campaign is to install software to use the knock sensor to detect premature rod bearing wear. I had read that online at the service campaign website, but now that my vehicle has completed the campaign, that detailed information is no longer available. There was a pretty good FAQ attached to the campaign that I wish I had saved.

So, it seems Hyundai is looking for 2015 Sonata engine failures with this campaign, and that the failure is the same issue that they had on the 1.2 million recalled 2011-2014 models. My dealership said there is no end in sight for the replacements they have been doing on those model years.

The dealership doesn't seem to know exactly what the campaign is for, as I've never had them provide me any details about rod bearing wear when I asked about the need for the update. And, they have no explanation when I talked to them on the phone about how this patch harness and oxygen sensor replacement solves some unknown issue after installing the software update. I can speculate, but I don't have enough information to back my speculation. I hope to be able to talk to someone more informed than the service agent at the dealership when I go to pick up my vehicle.

But, thanks to this forum and the internet, I am more aware of this issue and will certainly be more closely watching my oil level and color than I have been if I decide not keep the vehicle long term.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to my 2015 Sonata when it was fine. Brought in for oil change and now in limp mode and needs a wiring harness replaced. If that doesn't work they say a new engine. I am pissed.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just happened to my 2015 Sonata when it was fine. Brought in for oil change and now in limp mode and needs a wiring harness replaced. If that doesn't work they say a new engine. I am pissed.

Well, that definitely confirms it, no way I'm getting 953 done on my wife's and son's 2015 Sonata's. This is absolutely BS, they can't tell that this is causing major problems for vehicles. UN--BE--LIEV--ABLE!

I'm staying away from the dealer and if I do have to go for some reason, I hope I can decline the update.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, that definitely confirms it, no way I'm getting 953 done on my wife's and son's 2015 Sonata's. This is absolutely BS, they can't tell that this is causing major problems for vehicles. UN--BE--LIEV--ABLE!

I'm staying away from the dealer and if I do have to go for some reason, I hope I can decline the update.

As I said on the other thread, I'm skipping the dealer with this as well. I got my 15 Sonata Sport in October, and have a "free" oil change at the dealer scheduled in January, where I'm sure they would do this update.

Instead, I'm going to skip it, go to my trusted mechanic for all maintenance, and if the engine starts acting up, bring the dealer and warranty into play. I bought 6 extra years of factory warranty for a total of 8 at purchase.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said on the other thread, I'm skipping the dealer with this as well. I got my 15 Sonata Sport in October, and have a "free" oil change at the dealer scheduled in January, where I'm sure they would do this update.

Instead, I'm going to skip it, go to my trusted mechanic for all maintenance, and if the engine starts acting up, bring the dealer and warranty into play. I bought 6 extra years of factory warranty for a total of 8 at purchase.
Wise decision. Steering clear of this campaign until they sort it out is the best option. I sent an email to Hyundai to see what their exact position is on why this is happening to vehicles and what they are going to do about it. Can't wait to see the response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this info. I was in the process of calling to set up my appointment for my 2015 Sonata, however this forum has provided all the info I need to NOT do as such! This is just ridiculous! I wonder by declining to get it done will they still honor the free 10 year warranty extension. They should but I just re-read the notice I received in the mail and it states " upon completion of this product improvement campaign" Again...just ridiculous!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sonata owner

Thanks for this info. I was in the process of calling to set up my appointment for my 2015 Sonata, however this forum has provided all the info I need to NOT do as such! This is just ridiculous! I wonder by declining to get it done will they still honor the free 10 year warranty extension. They should but I just re-read the notice I received in the mail and it states " upon completion of this product improvement campaign" Again...just ridiculous!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really dont think the software is actually flawed. Its my understanding its purpose is to detect rod knock and give a warning before complete failure. Its possible that it is actually working as intended and the engine is already damaged. If it were the software every single car would go into limp mode. I think the majority are not.

My car is already experiencing the symptoms of premature wear and engine failure. I get the update on the 4th. I assume the vehicle will immediately go into limp mode and ill get a new engine. If it lasts until then.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really dont think the software is actually flawed. Its my understanding its purpose is to detect rod knock and give a warning before complete failure. Its possible that it is actually working as intended and the engine is already damaged. If it were the software every single car would go into limp mode. I think the majority are not.

My car is already experiencing the symptoms of premature wear and engine failure. I get the update on the 4th. I assume the vehicle will immediately go into limp mode and ill get a new engine. If it lasts until then.
I also considered that as well, but I will still wait and see, let others test the waters, so to speak. Once I get a response from Hyundai, I may have to reconsider holding out. Time will tell.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I also considered that as well, but I will still wait and see, let others test the waters, so to speak. Once I get a response from Hyundai, I may have to reconsider holding out. Time will tell.
I dont think I can wait. I'm not the original owner so I only have 60k on my warranty. Im currently at 97k. Looking closely at the paperwork Hyundai sent, the extended warranty is only active after this update is complete. Now if I have failure before it gets done, I fully expect Hyundai to pay for the replacement.

My previous car (2011) failed before the recall took place so I know the symptoms well. It isnt looking good.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think I can wait. I'm not the original owner so I only have 60k on my warranty. Im currently at 97k. Looking closely at the paperwork Hyundai sent, the extended warranty is only active after this update is complete. Now if I have failure before it gets done, I fully expect Hyundai to pay for the replacement.

My previous car (2011) failed before the recall took place so I know the symptoms well. It isnt looking good.

When are you going to get it done? I want to hear your first hand experience and what they tell you. I have yet to receive a response from Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got a response from Hyundai (took me sending another request to them).

"The software update installs a newly developed knock sensor detection system that detects vibrations indicating the onset of excessive connecting rod bearing wear in the engine. The knock sensor detection system is designed to alert a vehicle driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the occurrence of engine damage. If vibrations caused by bearing wear start to occur, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will blink continuously, and the vehicle will be placed in Limp Home Mode. The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in Limp Home Mode, but it will accelerate slowly and have a reduced maximum speed. Also, engine RPMs will be limited to approximately 1800-2000 RPM. The update will be done free of charge to customers and will only involve the addition of the knock sensor detection system to the engine control unit. This software up date is to assist customers if the possibility a new engine is about to occur.

With that being stated it is up to your very own discretion to get the 2015 Sonatas looked at. A lot of when this happens is because they needed a new engine already. Our technicians are trained to treat and repair all recalls accordingly to the policy procedures. We appreciate you being a very loyal customer, and we look to seeing you with more Hyundai in the future"

They did not address the use of a loaner if the update renders your car unusable. I guess that will have to be addressed to the dealership that does the work. When I get it done, I'm getting something in writing if possible that they will provide a loaner car if things go south.

·
Registered
16 Posts

When are you going to get it done? I want to hear your first hand experience and what they tell you. I have yet to receive a response from Hyundai.

Im scheduled the first week of January. I plan on asking for a loaner during the update. My dealer typically always offers if its recall work.

I reached out to hyundai as well. Their first response was very generalized. I threw a small tantrum since they seemed to blow me off and never answered what I asked. Im told another department will be contacting me.

Surprisingly the pinging and knocking has slowly all but disappeared. I put some fuel treatment in and then had the oil changed. Neither should have made much of a difference though since I always use top tier gasoline and the oil wasnt that old. 4k miles. I usually change it at 5k.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im scheduled the first week of January. I plan on asking for a loaner during the update. My dealer typically always offers if its recall work.

I reached out to hyundai as well. Their first response was very generalized. I threw a small tantrum since they seemed to blow me off and never answered what I asked. Im told another department will be contacting me.

Surprisingly the pinging and knocking has slowly all but disappeared. I put some fuel treatment in and then had the oil changed. Neither should have made much of a difference though since I always use top tier gasoline and the oil wasnt that old. 4k miles. I usually change it at 5k.

I guess I will set up a time to get it done on my wife's and son's vehicles soon. Will probably wait til my son is home for the Summer before getting his done. Don't want to have his car go into limp mode and the dealer not provide a loaner car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the update done on 12/27. I hadn't experienced any issues before the update. Couldn't tell if there was any rod knock or not. The next day (yesterday) after about 45 miles I got the CEL and the car went into limp home mode. I wasn't informed about the extended warranty the update gives. I'll make sure to ask on Monday when I'm bringing the car in. I'm not the original owner so I'm only warrantied to 60K.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have had the update with no issues (as yet) but they also indicated to be prepared for engine failure.....told probably only a matter of time. I am actually glad it will go into a "limp mode" so I will be able to get to a dealer before she goes "bang"......no letter about warranty.......
My driving habits do not help thing as I do a lot of short drives, only 23,000 km so far, use conventional oil every 6 mo or 6000 km (manual shows 12 / 12,000)......serviced 100% at the dealer to avoid any problems.
Good Luck / Cheers / Happy New Year.......p

1 - 20 of 776 Posts
About this Discussion
775 Replies
153 Participants
rdrinovac
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing