Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in for an oil change and they recommended replacing the Serpentine Belt on my '09 Elantra, and it would be around $90 for parts and labor. It was at a Valvoline Instant change so I was hesitant as they always try and upsale on things like that.

Does this sound about right, and how simple is this to do myself? Also was a bit curious as I went in for a 60k tune-up not long ago (currently at 67k) and nothing was noticeably wrong, just got the transmission flushed. Currently haven't had any belts replaced, when is a good time to look into that?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the drive belts when the timing belt is being done.... no additional labor, just cost of 2 drive belt,, as we have to put a new belt on or old belt when going back together..

If they seen the A/C belt full of cracks, then I can venture you are up for timing belt replace, as it be silly to take it all apart and put old drive belts on, then a week later buy 2 drive belt and labor..

Let the dealer handle the timing belt and belts.. if you want to visit the oil change place, leave it at an oil and filter change.. where is them fellas training and product knowledge ?? Monster size tool box full of tools and heavy line repairs there,, NOT..

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as we're on the topic ... Does anyone know whether a 2007 Elantra (2.0 liter) requires a water pump replacement at timing belt change? Also, dealer quoted me $495 (U.S.) to change timing belt, then said, "we'll look around in there and let you know if you need anything else." Needless to say, not terribly reassuring.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
As long as cooling system kept changed and fresh on regular basis, water pump be of no concern.

Nothing to see when doing Elantra timing belt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
are there any videos on here showing how to change a serpentine belt for 2007 Hyundai
accent. 1.6l ?. I was quoted $129, for serpentine, and power steering , is that a good price?

·
Registered
206 Posts
As long as we're on the topic ... Does anyone know whether a 2007 Elantra (2.0 liter) requires a water pump replacement at timing belt change? Also, dealer quoted me $495 (U.S.) to change timing belt, then said, "we'll look around in there and let you know if you need anything else." Needless to say, not terribly reassuring.
I ran my Acura Legend to 228,000 on the original water pump. It never leaked. My mechanic recommended against replacing it with the timing belt.

But when I had my timing belt replaced on my Mazda he said to replace the water pump as it would certainly fail before the next timing belt was required. We used after-market water pumps and they all started to leak after about 60,000 miles which was the replacement schedule for the timing belts.

The labor to replace the water pump while doing the timing belt is only about a half hour, so if the water pump quality is suspect then I would replace it.

It depends upon the quality of the water pump that Hyundai installed. I have no reliable information on that point.

Serpentine belts would have about the same lifespan as a timing belt--about 5 years and 60,000 or 100,000 miles. So any car before 2011 would probably be due for a serpentine belt.

But if you don't get upset when your car leaves you stranded you can wait until it fails. It won't damage the car like a ruptured timing belt will.

And Valvoline is relentless in their efforts to up sell. They want you to pay $22.00 for an air filter that anyone can replace in under 5 minutes with a Fram filter from Walmart that costs $6.00 to $8.00.

And they want to sell you windshield wipers for $25.00 each and I can get them for under $10.00 at Costco. Installation is just a couple of minutes each.

I gave up on Valvoline because of the constant up sell pressure.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
are there any videos on here showing how to change a serpentine belt for 2007 Hyundai
accent. 1.6l ?. I was quoted $129, for serpentine, and power steering , is that a good price?
No "serp" belt on MC Accent 1.6L..

3 drive belts,, A/C, Alternator, and P/S

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cubaray, Dealer told me at the time of timing belt replacement that was very early 51 k miles but 48 month, the Water pump is warranty until 100 k miles, so even if the car has 60 k miles they will not replace it.
If your car has more than 100k miles just replace water pump when timing belt replacement come, unless you see it leaking before timing belt replace.
--- I don't go to Dealer any more, no even shop or facility cause I saw too much wrong to go back, so I decided to get down there and do my own things. I love my Elantra 2008 that I will keep until die and even so I just replace the engine or wherever come first.
When Dealer replace my timing belt car has only 51 k miles and the belt that I still has it is brand new, they took 35 minutes to give me the car but has my car in the lot for 4 hours to charge me by hours of labor. They only replace the belt $ 385 total, no tensioner, idler or water pump, nothing, every thing is cover for 100k miles if I do it in the Dealer. Now the car has 84 k miles. So next replacement I will do myself, YouTube is wonderful to learn, so now I know what to do and do it much better cause the Dealer never going to clean any thing there if you don't pay.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Is that a good price $129= it includes parts an labor

Seems a bit high to me =
I would guess the dealer would want around $40 for the belts alone. And probably the same for good aftermarket belts. Hyundai shows the water pump/alternator belt as no longer available so they are using aftermarket belts for this application. $25 for the AC belt and $10 for the PS belt OEM parts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had all my belts replaced on my 2008 Hyundai Elantra at 60,000. I purchased a kit that included a lifetime water pump. All of belts still looked good, but I didn't want any problems with a timing belt. The belts I purchased were manufactured by Gates. I believe the cost of this repair was about $450. It was not done at the dealership.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,
I had my inspection for my Hyundai Elantra 2010, and the service guy told me that one of the serpentine belt should be replaced and quoted to replace both ~ 120$ (labor and spare parts). Is this a good price?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hi guys,
I had my inspection for my Hyundai Elantra 2010, and the service guy told me that one of the serpentine belt should be replaced and quoted to replace both ~ 120$ (labor and spare parts). Is this a good price?

A/C belt all cracked up ??

No mileage called out, are we in range of a rough 60,000 multiple ??

replacing drive belts today and doing timing belt next month is lost money to labor,, do timing belt and drive belts in 1 sitting,, got to put belt back on during assembly, price of 2 drive during timing belt service is only price of parts,, labor included as part of timing belt job..

Reactions: Richard Bicker

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 74000 miles, but still not clear for me? Do I have two serpentine belts : "A/C" and "alternator & W/P". The mechanic suggested that the one from the interior should be replaces so I am not sure if it is the A/C or the Alt&W/P.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
This is a bit hard to explain if you aren't familiar with working on cars.

If you are due for a timing belt - that should be changed. You can do major engine damage if it fails. It is a fairly complex job to change it - need to lock the cam typically. I would pay the shop to do it and it should take 1-2 hours. $450 seems about right. Change the drive belts along with it since they have to come out as well - unless they were just changed within the last year.

The drive belts are generally easy to change, but if the interior belt is changed, the exterior belt has to come off to get to it, so you might as well change it as well, unless it was just changed in the last year.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2010,elantra,2.0l+l4,1444686,belt+drive,belt,8900

Belts are around $10 each for Auto7 which is OEM. $125 seems high to me, but he is probably charging 1-hour minimum labor ...

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I went in for an oil change and they recommended replacing the Serpentine Belt on my '09 Elantra, and it would be around $90 for parts and labor. It was at a Valvoline Instant change so I was hesitant as they always try and upsale on things like that.

Does this sound about right, and how simple is this to do myself? Also was a bit curious as I went in for a 60k tune-up not long ago (currently at 67k) and nothing was noticeably wrong, just got the transmission flushed. Currently haven't had any belts replaced, when is a good time to look into that?
i used to take all of our cars to the same(also a valvoline) express lube for state inspection for several years. the last time i did, the ownership had changed. i had done a complete cooling system(radiator, pump, stat, belts, hoses) less than 2 years ago. they rejected the inspection(required each year) because the power steering belt needed to be changed(?). quoted me 130. i was like, wtf? so i went around the corner, bought a new belt, and changed it in like 15 min. the old belt looked like new. then, i called the texas dps, who is responsible for inspection stations, spoke to one of the area sups. he said, yah, they can reject for the p/s belt, but it is really a far reach, and he had never heard of it. he asked which station, i told him, and he asked if i wanted to bring it there, he would look at it, then call the station. i had already changed it. then, i took the car back, and it was like, yes sir, no sir, here is your insp sticker sir, thank you for your business. i bet they got a phone call. also, while i was waiting the first time, i heard them tell 2 customers before me the same story. and you think the dealer is bad

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
then, i called the texas dps, who is responsible for inspection stations, spoke to one of the area sups. he said, yah, they can reject for the p/s belt, but it is really a far reach, and he had never heard of it.
We don't have state inspection, but I'm surprised they could fail for a bad P/S belt since legally you could drive the car without it. It would be hard to steer, but that isn't illegal.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You probably have to remove the WP belt to get the AC belt changed if it's like the Accent. PS belt barely needs to be tight soit wuld litterally need to be falling apart to get the reject.

Look at the belts and if no chunks are missing out of the ribs then no real need to change them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts