Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to change the serpentine belt on a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, is it necessary to remove the belt tensioner assembly arm to take the belt off and then to put back on. If not, can someone please explain how this is done without removing? It doesn't look like you can get the belt off without removing the arm.

thank you!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There's going to be a trick to it, like it's spring loaded. Try looking on youtube at timing belt replacement videos which will show you. Each motor is different, and you could have three different motors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm no mechanical pro but I had to do this when I swapped out my power steering pump. Mine is a 2.4 so I don't know if this will apply to you.

In my case, all I had to do was loosen the tensioner pulley bolt to the point where to serpentine belt was now loose enough to wiggle off. I'm talking about the long bolt (you can see all of it's threading) that is right beneath the power steering pump. The tensioner pulley is mounted to the power steering pump along with the actual power steering pump pulley. I did not need to remove it from the power steering pump whatsoever to get the serpentine belt off. Only loosen off it's tension adjusting bolt.

hopefully that makes sense to you and helps.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Usually with serpentine belts you put a wrench on the tensioner and lever it back against the spring load, then pull off the old belt. Do not remove it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please, you guys that don't know, don't give out the wrong information. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE TENSIONER ON A 2.7 TO CHANGE THE BELT. First of all, there was a post on this subject a few days ago. The answer is still the same. Release the tensioner tension, let the belt hang there, then remove the tensioner, then remove the belt, then replace the belt, letting it just hang there, then replace the tensioner, then repalce the belt around the pulleys. As long as the belt and tensioner are off, why don't you replace the tensioner and idler pulley at the same time? Also check the harmonic balancer for cracks in the rubber center from the front and the back. They are prone to failure.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Please, you guys that don't know, don't give out the wrong information. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE TENSIONER ON A 2.7 TO CHANGE THE BELT. First of all, there was a post on this subject a few days ago. The answer is still the same. Release the tensioner tension, let the belt hang there, then remove the tensioner, then remove the belt, then replace the belt, letting it just hang there, then replace the tensioner, then repalce the belt around the pulleys. As long as the belt and tensioner are off, why don't you replace the tensioner and idler pulley at the same time? Also check the harmonic balancer for cracks in the rubber center from the front and the back. They are prone to failure.
To be fair to the other posters, he did not give out his engine so it was speculation as to what he had.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just wish ppl had pix rather than using a jargon only mechanics understand. I thought these forums were designd for laymen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts