Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 60K miles. I've already read several helpful posts on replacing serpantine belt in my '09 NF w/ 2.4L engine. An online parts shop advised me that not only the belt needs to be replaced but the following also (OEM part numbers follow commas):
- pulley idler, 25287-25010
- pulley idler, 25287-25110
- pulley tensioner, 25282-2G000

The dealer only recommends belt replacement as far as I know. Is it common to replace more than just belt as I described above at 60K miles?

Thank you all in advance!

·
22,793 Posts
I always replaced my water pump whenever doing the belt R&R on our other FWD vehicles. Didn't want to go back in there 5,000 miles later to replace a $20-30 leaking water pump. It was my pre-emptive strike against doing double work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had just the belt replaced on my 2009 4 cyl. at 68,000. Cost was about $180. I asked them to save the old belt for me; it appeared to be in very good condition.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I always replaced my water pump whenever doing the belt R&R on our other FWD vehicles. Didn't want to go back in there 5,000 miles later to replace a $20-30 leaking water pump. It was my pre-emptive strike against doing double work.
The OP is talking about a serpentine belt, not a timing belt that drives the water pump. NF Sonatas don't have timing belts.

Your recommendation would be a good idea when referring to a timing belt.

·
22,793 Posts
You're absolutely correct! Thanks for catching that. I was off in another hemisphere, I guess. Brain freeze. Too cold to think! ROF

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had just the belt replaced on my 2009 4 cyl. at 68,000. Cost was about $180. I asked them to save the old belt for me; it appeared to be in very good condition.
I'm guessing that $180 was for belt and labor -- not for replacement of tensioner, etc?

The OP is talking about a serpentine belt, not a timing belt that drives the water pump. NF Sonatas don't have timing belts.
As far as I know, 2.4L come with a timing chain which is not a maintenance part. Right?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Under ordinary circumstances you should replace the belt only, bando belt is a good brand. Total price away from dealer should be around $150

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We just replace the drive belt with our 60/120/180 interval services

I think we only charge 1/2hr ($46) + cost of belt (have to check what we sell belt for),, but anything over $100,,, you likely getting your wallet flushed

·
22,793 Posts
Belts run anywhere from 23-40 bucks. Depending on source. I have replaced a couple of belts on other vehicles. Not that much labor unless I'm missing something somewhere.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like most of the dealers/shops only replace the belt at 60K. I've already bought it but will hold off on getting the rest. Will replace only if needed. (Hopefully it WON'T be needed!) Thank you all again!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have $43 on the 25212-25000 for the THETA, ERA price guide has 1hr labor, but they only been charginging 1/2hr labor, we at $46 for the 1/2hr..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Very easy to replace the belt. Sbr711 discribe how to do it in one of. His post here.
I was really suprise how easy it was.....yes my belt still looked OK but when I measured it against the new sepentine belt, I was surprised how much it have stretched...the old belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts