Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Elantra Limited and recently the seat belt sensor would not stop even after you attached your seat belt. I read that it could be a weight issue, but I know I weigh enough and there was nothing in the passenger seat. I also realized that when the seat belt sensor is going off, you can't lock the doors from the inside. The fob still works, but the switch on the doors does nothing. Sometimes is also won't register that all the doors and trunk are closed (yes, of course I checked).

The dealership is replacing the seat belt today but I don't see how that would cause all these other sensor issues. The biggest problem is that the sensors don't always malfunction - just random times about 4-6 times a week.

I have no idea what to ask the dealership to look for at this point and guess I will just have to keep bringing it back until they find something.

Has anyone else had similar issues??

So frustrating for a new car to have so many problems!!

·
22,793 Posts
Karen, welcome! Sorry for the problems. I'm going to be optimistic (until your dealer proves us wrong) and say they will fix these problems. Mechanical and electrical things "happen," unfortunately. And, like you stated, can be a real bummer. The important thing (to you, and hopefully your dealer) is that these items are corrected, satisfactorily.

Please post back and let us know how this works out for you. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
The dealership is replacing the seat belt today but I don't see how that would cause all these other sensor issues.
Are **ALL** of the dealer's service technicians REALLY that dense ?? From the reports here it would SEEM so. :(

Simple logic tells me that it is the sensor in the drivers seat causing the problem. It won't let you lock the doors because it doesn't sense that ANYBODY is actually IN the car.

That might be too simple.
Please follow up and let us know what was done and if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are **ALL** of the dealer's service technicians REALLY that dense ?? From the reports here it would SEEM so. :(

Simple logic tells me that it is the sensor in the drivers seat causing the problem. It won't let you lock the doors because it doesn't sense that ANYBODY is actually IN the car.

That might be too simple.
Please follow up and let us know what was done and if it fixes the problem.
I never thought about if the car didn't register anyone in the car how it would respond. The dealership just called and said my car was ready so I will let you know what happens! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I wish I had better news, but the 2 hour drive home from the cottage this weekend was beyond frustrating due to the constant ping of the "seat belt not fastened" chime. So the dealer replaced the seat belt and it didn't fix it - I don't know what to tell the dealer to check next because it doesn't happen every time I drive the car. I also noticed that the car headlights never switched "on" even though I had it set to auto.

I am still thinking there is a sensor computer chip or fuse someplace that is all messed up. Does that even make sense for me to suggest to the dealership?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would disconnect then reconnect the connector under both front seats making sure they weren't stretched tight then disconnect the negative battery lead and walk away for about a cup of coffee before reconnecting. Can't hurt but may help, might be as simple as a bad connection.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
this weekend was beyond frustrating due to the constant ping of the "seat belt not fastened" chime.
SIGH.

With only the driver in the car, there are two things that will make the chime ring.

1) The switch that reports the drivers belt is buckled is defective OR the circuit it is attached to is bad.....or the wiring in between.

2) The weight sensor in the passenger seat is bad such that it thinks there is a body in THAT seat but the belt is not buckled.

When it fails, try buckling the passenger side belt without anybody in the seat.

Just for curiosity, how long after leaving the shop did it start dinging ??

Edit: one more wild idea. You don't usually have a heavy object sitting in the passenger seat, do you ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SIGH.

With only the driver in the car, there are two things that will make the chime ring.

1) The switch that reports the drivers belt is buckled is defective OR the circuit it is attached to is bad.....or the wiring in between.

2) The weight sensor in the passenger seat is bad such that it thinks there is a body in THAT seat but the belt is not buckled.

When it fails, try buckling the passenger side belt without anybody in the seat.

Just for curiosity, how long after leaving the shop did it start dinging ??

Edit: one more wild idea. You don't usually have a heavy object sitting in the passenger seat, do you ??
I usually have nothing in the passenger's seat at all - I toss my purse on the floor. I've tried buckling the empty passenger seat too and that doesn't stop it. The biggest thing that makes me believe that it isn't the seat belt is the fact that multiple systems fail at the same time - when the seat belt chimes, you can't lock the doors from the inside. Even after you turn off the car, the locks inside the car still don't work. That shouldn't have anything to do with the seats or weight sensors right?

PS The locks don't work, but my key fob does - I've tried using the locks with the fob inside the car and outside the car - doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the dealership thinks its my junction box. They ordered one for me and should be in next week. Maybe they will be right this time.

So what exactly is a junction box anyway?

·
22,793 Posts
So what exactly is a junction box anyway?
An enclosure within which electric circuits, such as the electrical wiring for different sections of your car, are connected to other circuits, such as outside power sources. Junction boxes are very common in telecommunications circuitry and are used to protect the connections and provide easy access to them.

I googled this to keep me from messing up the explanation. Keep us in the loop, please!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts