Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I did the drain/fill tranny fluid swap last weekend, and even before it was a little rough... it might be my mind playing a trick on me, but it feels slightly rougher now between 1st and 2nd.

One thing that's irritating the bajesus outta me is that I can't get a good reading off the dipstick.
It appears that there's fluid on almost HALF the dipstick... I know for a fact I didn't over fill it, especially not by THAT much!

Can someone please snap a pic of what a properly measured dipstick looks like? It's too small of an area, and there's fluid on too much of the stick for me to read it clearly.
On my Accord, it's overly obvious, so i've never had an issue telling if it's right or not.

***** FOR CLEARNESS *****
I put the car in nuetral while running, put on the e-brake, and measured 4 or 5 times (of course wiping in between)...

[EDIT] Attached a pic
Trans Fluid Pic
Sorry for the crap quality, it's from my phone, and it's getting dusk... Basically, everything you see there is covered in a thin film of fluid.. not sure if that's normal (ie, over filled) --- but I state again, I seriously doubt I over filled because I put in LESS than what came out!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Wipe the oil off the stick.... you will see a C or cold,,, then a low an high marks for HOT..

You car running, and in "N".

You want ATF nice and hot... I have scan tool that I can look at ATF temp in current data, but you can leave car run for 30 minutes or so and let coolant temp warm the ATF via the cooler..

Fill the ATF to bottom of HOT and run with it,,, then after extended drive, look again.. but in most respects, all the services I do, I set the oil to bottom of HOT and run with it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Checking ATF is somewhat of an art - in my experience the ATF should be warm, as in the car has been driven 5 or 10 miles. But, if it's really hot, forget it.

Some manuals will tell you the same thing.

Other than that, the stock advice always applies:

Check when :

1 engine running and warm, car on level ground

2. cycle thru all gears

3. put it in neutral and go for it

One reason it may be more of an art is the design of the dipstick - on my '06 sonata, the dipstick is the best I've seen - very easy to see the "hot zone".

On my Ford Taurus, the dipstick is a joke - more like a rod than a flat blade.

·
Banned
335 Posts
And of course engage the Emergency brake to prevent your Car from leaving you. I knew we had a better dipstick! :liebe011:
QUOTE (DnB @ Sep 23 2010, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358338
--- but I state again, I seriously doubt I over filled because I put in LESS than what came out!
Perhaps you underfilled and are not seeing anything on the dipstick. I would have replaced the same amount that came out? :innocent:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mamamia, i replaced it with Castrol Import ATF

Ok, so everything you guys said, I already covered in the original post... :S
And one guy was talking about OIL, when this thread is about ATF... wtf guys... w...t...f...

My warming period is about 30 miles, so it should certainly be a warm engine!!!

This is frustrating me, because I'm not sure if my jerkiness is from low fluid, or something acting up in the tranny.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (DnB @ Sep 24 2010, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358457
And one guy was talking about OIL, when this thread is about ATF... wtf guys... w...t...f...
Exactly, a great reason not to start a second thread continuing the same topic? You are the Transmission jerking guy from the

other thread where you mentioned you "might" have a Warranty on the 09 Sonata but don't know how to obtain service, or what it covers?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
DnB I made a mistake in reading my atf level and found out I wasn't wiping the stick off enough. Make sure the stick is completely dry by wiping and then check the level. It's hard for us to go out and snap a pic of ours cause we're all sitting at work slacking off. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (DnB @ Sep 24 2010, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358457
I guess you mean CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE ATF.

I don't know why you'd pour in LESS amount of fluid than what drained out... How many bottles did you use?

If you carefully clean the dipstick before you insert it back in, and then pull it out and LEAVE IT VERTICAL while checking the level of the fluid, it should show you the accurate level.... As mentioned before, this dipstick is not what we have in our older Sonatas, but I'm sure yours has it's own markings to show you the proper level of your ATF.... Unless this stick is not an original Sonata dipstick?......

·
Registered
689 Posts
QUOTE (DnB @ Sep 24 2010, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358457

My warming period is about 30 miles, so it should certainly be a warm engine!!!

This is frustrating me, because I'm not sure if my jerkiness is from low fluid, or something acting up in the tranny.
Why are you saying WTF, all the guy said was that the dipstick looked like the oil dipstick not the tranny dipstick. The tranny dipstick sometime will get tranny fluid in the tube, so you will need to wipe it off a few times. Also, usually one side of the dipstick will have more fluid on it compared to the other side, go with the lowest reading.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (mamamia @ Sep 24 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358571
I guess you mean CASTROL IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE ATF.

I don't know why you'd pour in LESS amount of fluid than what drained out... How many bottles did you use?

If you carefully clean the dipstick before you insert it back in, and then pull it out and LEAVE IT VERTICAL while checking the level of the fluid, it should show you the accurate level.... As mentioned before, this dipstick is not what we have in our older Sonatas, but I'm sure yours has it's own markings to show you the proper level of your ATF.... Unless this stick is not an original Sonata dipstick?......
Yeah I'm doing all that, just doesn't seem to be a clean read...

I put in about 5.5 quarts, and have since put in a tad more to see if I could tell if the level was changing (the answer is no, I can't see any difference).

I think part of the problem is that the dipstick tube is bent, so I'm really not seeing how the **** anyone can get a clean reading since a good portion of the dipstick is going to be rubbing on the inside of the tube :S

I reset the ECU this morning to see if it'd help with the jerking problem to no avail. It did kinda clean up the acceleration response time though. The jerking only happens when accelerating slow or coming to a stop and turning at the same time (such as parking in a shopping center). If I floor it, the gears transition really smooth, almost can't even feel it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts