Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm officially looking to get out of my hybrid. Just not satisfied with the performance and now that I don't have a long commute, the wife and I talked and we can get a car that's a little more fun to drive.

My car is 12' Sonata hybrid - Hyper Silver - with the gray leather package. 16K miles..

suggestions on what a fair price I can pull on this car is? So far I listed it at 20,900 since its in pristine condition (no ding/dents/damage-- its been waxed and cared for)... But I have a feeling I'm going to take a loss, but unsure whats a fair asking price.. Thoughts gents (ladies)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
So I'm officially looking to get out of my hybrid. Just not satisfied with the performance and now that I don't have a long commute, the wife and I talked and we can get a car that's a little more fun to drive.

My car is 12' Sonata hybrid - Hyper Silver - with the gray leather package. 16K miles..

suggestions on what a fair price I can pull on this car is? So far I listed it at 20,900 since its in pristine condition (no ding/dents/damage-- its been waxed and cared for)... But I have a feeling I'm going to take a loss, but unsure whats a fair asking price.. Thoughts gents (ladies)?

Thanks!
This may not be the advice you hoped for but i would take it to Carmax and let them give you a quote.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

Thanks!
Did you get the update? It cures the sluggish acceleration and puts the fun back into driving it.

ECU Update

Every 2011-2012 should get it but you have to complain about hesitation and jerky behavior when the engine is cold. It is a free update that any Hyundai service can perform but some dealers will balk at giving it unless they can duplicate the problem.. It will give you much better performance and many better mpg.

13-FL-004
HEV MULTI-ECU UPDATE – VERSION 2

Description:
This bulletin provides information related to a software update of the following controllers: ECM/TCM/HCU/MCU/AHB/OPU by GDS Event#302, and BMS by Event#303.
This ECU Update will refine vehicle drivability, HEV transaxle shifts, and cruise control.
Applicable Vehicles: 2011-2012MY SONATA (YF) 2.4L Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
There is no question you will lose money, question is how much. Cars are money pits, lose 50% of value the first 3 years. Private sale by you the best chance of $$ or a consignment lot where they do all the advertising but you name your price. Good nes is, you don't have to sell and can wait for an offer you can tolerate. Trade in at the dealer will be your worst amount and have to be especially careful of how they discount the new car. Prefer to not mention a trade until the numbers are final then go in and ask for trade in value and see how close they can come to what you think it is worth

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
If you are buying another car then why not just negotiate on trade in value. You have the car now and nothing is wrong with it so make your next car salesman earn your business.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did do the ecu update but I'm still not having the smooth acceleration and the spirit is just not there.
I have taken it to a few dealerships and no one will give me more than 15.5k ... Talk about a huge loss. I think my only choice is to privately sell so I don't take that severe of a hit.
Has anyone used eBay motors or know someone who has? Curious to know how that has worked for people. ..

·
Registered
802 Posts
I know folks who have both bought and sold through eBay motors. Mostly happy with the transactions. You will most likely need to hire an escrow company for the payment. The buyer pays the escrow company, the escrow company confirms payment to you, then you deliver the car. Once the clear title is in the buyers hands, the escrow company releases the payment to you. Can take a couple weeks if you have a loan on the car. Not sure how much the escrow company takes, but make sure you go through a reputable company if you want to get bidders interested.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I used a company called CarLotz, cost 199 to list with them they advertise in all the trade magazines, web sites and if it did not sell in a few weeks they also handle an ebay sale, arrange shipping, do all the paperwork etc. Final cost is another 499 if the car is sold. I had a 97 Mitsubishi 3000GTVR4 that CarMax was going to give me 6500 for (wholesale) I knew it was unique, only 50,000 miles and asked for 13,999 and got asking price.

However, your best scenerio, keep the car, keep some money in the bank because trading cars every 3-4 years is money down the drain. Keep the car at least 5 years and learn from the experience

·
Registered
521 Posts
Got my 30k mile service done today. The "Internet Sales Manager" wanted to sell me a 2013 today. He was going to give me 15k for my car. Unless he comes up 3-4k... he won't reach the figure he needs to be at to meet what I want to pay per month (my current payment :) )

I do have a base model with 32,600 miles... so it's a little different than your model though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts