Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen a bit about this on here, but a quick search on the word "trunk" had no significant info, so I made this thread.

After driving my 2012 Elantra for about two years, I have many times had the trunk just open, seemingly on its own. I always figured that it was simply my fault: you know, I bent the wrong way and the fob in my pocket got the trunk button pushed, etc...

But I always felt that there was more to it than that, as I doubt my pants push the button that much. Now a friend that I work with expressed the same trunk doubts to me about his one year old 2013 Elantra. He said that yesterday his trunk was open and he had not even touched his keys. Incidentally, I had a trunk opening experience yesterday too!

So what gives with the spontaneous trunk opening? Is there an identifiable cause? A known software defect? Something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This has been discussed numerous times.

Get a rubber jacket for the fob.

Our E did this three times in one week when we bought it before we got the fob covers, and never since. The fob buttons are flat with the surface and the fob jacket makes them recessed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have to agree with getting a key fob jacket. I have had he trunk open a few times as well and even the alarm going of one time because somehow one of the buttons were pressed. One time the wife was at the gym and said the parking lights werent flashing when she locked the car, I drove by and saw the trunk open indicator on the dash lol.

·
22,788 Posts
+1 to all of the above. Had my neighbor ring our door bell, e different occasions, to alert me that my trunk was wide open. I had this old habit of putting my keys in my back pocket whenever I got out of the car. Never had a fob before. Well, new lesson learned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the two months I've had my elantra, I think I've gone out to my garage three or four times and the trunk was open. I may have to look into these fob jackets.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got another suggestion, ask the dealer to change the way you unlock your doors , as I did ,currently In order to unlock and open the trunk I need first to unlock the doors ,so problem solved ,even if by accident I hit the trunk button it won't open unless I unlock first either the drivers side door or the other doors.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But my friend is rather insistent that the button was NOT pressed! That the trunk must have spontaneously opened.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
you would think that the manufacturer would address this somehow. Not a huge disappointment, but a disappointment non the less.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
But my friend is rather insistent that the button was NOT pressed! That the trunk must have spontaneously opened.
There's a way to prove that: Put the remote away on a high shelf, and wait for the trunk to open. Until it does, your friend shall be presumed guilty by the internet community of playing around in his pockets more than he admits. :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I believe it's because the Feds now have access to all our remote transmitter codes and can generate them anytime they feel it might be a national security issue.

I hate it when they pop my trunk when I'm running a trunkload of guns or drugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts