Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new to the forum and I posted here, closest to my 2017 Tucson Limited.
Please direct to the correct forum if I'm not in the right place.
Anyway, here's my question.
I have what the dealership tells me is self leveling headlights. While driving at night, I have two half circles at the end of the beam that are blacked out and makes it very hard to see what's ahead of you.
Took it to the dealership tonight and heard a bunch garbage fro the service department.
They looked to see if they had any other new 2017's with the same option.
They do not, now the search on their end starts.
They did try another Tucson that did not have this option and it did not show the dark half circles.
Anyone out here have the same problem and could you lead me down the right path.
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I noticed that head lights now seem to be limited in their height. Meaning when going down a hill and looking ahead at the hill's rise it's black. So you cannot see ahead as far as when the older head lights where used. Must be another government stupid idea.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
I think all US OE HIDs headlights DOT legal need a leveling device. It should only be active when driving over a bump though and be a quick one time adjustment, down then up. Stationary they should not be active.

To clarify, my 2010 Gen Coupe came with factory HIDs and there is a level sensor on one of the back control arms to sense the back end dipping or rising. I bought some aftermarket headlights but you will find it hard to get an HID ones as they are not DOT legal because of no leveling motor.

The AM headlights came with HID kits to install, but they had regular Halogen bulbs and were DOT legal in that respect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found out in the drivers manual they called Adaptive headlights.
The dealer took another like vehicle and did a comparison between my Tucson and it. Noticed that my units lights were aimed lower than the other.
SO, they adjusted my light upward to match the test unit. I took my unit out in the dark to see if this made a difference.
YES, I now can see further down the road and the two dark dimples have disappeared. Much better and my hat off to the dealer.

Thanks for all your replies and information.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the headlights are self-leveling wouldn't they wobble up and down when hitting bumps in the road?
If you are going down a hill wouldn't the headlights be pointing sort up upwards off the road and visa-versa going up a hill?

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
If the headlights are self-leveling wouldn't they wobble up and down when hitting bumps in the road?
If you are going down a hill wouldn't the headlights be pointing sort up upwards off the road and visa-versa going up a hill?
They use small motors to level.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I noticed that head lights now seem to be limited in their height. Meaning when going down a hill and looking ahead at the hill's rise it's black. So you cannot see ahead as far as when the older head lights where used. Must be another government stupid idea.
I have the same problem - the cut off on the LEDs is very hard - and I think that's the problem.

I did manage to get Hyundai UK to adjust the lamps up a bit (until it hit the top of the legal MOT test limit) and it helped.

But I still need to use main beam more than I used to. It seems like they need to lens the LEDs to give a softer edge that can extend a bit further...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the 2016 Premium SE here in the UK so it has the LED headlights. I was super disappointed the first time i took mine out in the night, the aim was really low and only illuminated about 10 ft in front or me. I'm not sure how the previous owner managed at night to be honest.

Anyway, I took it upon myself to adjust them myself - instructions in the manual but essentially I found a wall, drove right up to it and measured 10cm down below the center of the aim and stuck some black tape to the wall. Then drove 10m backwards and adjusted the aim so that the top of the beam was against the line on the wall using a Philips screwdriver

That was a massive improvement and nobody seems to have flashed me in anger yet,

I'm not convinced mine are self leveling though.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
To see if you have any kind of leveling mechanism look at the rear cross arm, on the drivers side for me, there will be a small senor that moves up and down with the body

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts