Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have tried to remove your wheels only to find that they've seized onto the hub? Is this common on all Hyundai's? Anyway, not fun! To get them off, I loosened the lug nuts, jacked up the vehicle and removed all lug nuts save one at the top where I backed it out almost to the end of the thread . I placed a 1x6 board on the ground with edge up on the inside wall of the tire and gave the board a couple of good whacks with a sledge hammer. The wheel came loose but the top lug nut prevented the wheel from hitting the ground and damaging the rim.

Owners really should have this problem checked out immediately. You don't want to be trying to change a tire on the highway (after your free roadside assistance has expired) and have this happen. To fix this issue, I wire brushed the hub center flange and wheel center hole and spread on some anti-seize. I used the copper stuff but the silver will work as well. It's an easy permanent fix. Do it!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,396 Posts
I have seen the wheel stuck to the hub.
Not often but enough for me to buy road side assistance.
Paid for it for three years. And used it once.
Worth it!!

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock wheels? Are you using the stock alloys for winter?

I've never heard of seized wheels, only seized nuts.
I just bought a 2017 Santa Fe xl Luxury trim with the 18" alloys. I can only assume that they were used during winter as the tires are all-seasons. They were really stuck on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Santa Fe xl Luxury trim with the 18" alloys. I can only assume that they were used during winter as the tires are all-seasons. They were really stuck on.
That's probably why. Alloys can have all sorts of interesting interactions with steel hubs under the effects of salt and other stuff that we like to spread on our roads.

Seriously, Canadian cuisine should be maple syrup, poutine, and salted asphalt. Unfortunately that last one isn't packageable.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,322 Posts
Is this common on all Hyundai's?
It's common on all cars that have alloy wheels, regardless of what badge is on the front. Greasing the hubs before refitting the wheels will help.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I come across this all the time. Yep a block of wood and a good smack with a big hammer usually gets them off. I then sand the inside area and lubricate it with a little grease and it helps the next time round.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts