Hyundai Forums banner

Seized engine - recall

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  charlieprince 
#1 ·
My Tucson's motor seized in September of 2021. It has 62000 miles and qualifies for the engine recall. My question is, what had been everyone's experience with getting their repairs made? My car has been sitting at the dealer since September and no one at the dealer can give me any idea when the parts will arrive or the repairs completed. I have a claim number through Hyundai but they are unresponsive (no one ever calls back). I have made complaints with the NHTSA and the Montana DOJ. I asked the dealer for a loaner vehicle but they refused. I was told by the dealer they no longer provide loaner vehicle because it's to difficult to get reimbursed by Hyundai. The dealer suggested I rent a vehicle and make the claim though Hyundai.

Thoughts/suggestions?

#8 ·
Yikes. I have the same 2.0 Nu as well but a 2019 SE. I have 23K miles so far. That's very disappointing to hear that yours failed at only 62K miles, as I've heard stories of other Tucson owners with this engine experiencing failure at a similar mileage. I experience some fuel dilution. It makes me wonder if I should sell mine when it hits 30K to be safe . . .

#6 ·
dropped car off

picked up 3 weeks later with new engine

#11 ·
August '21 at a dealer in Florida.. couple days for tech to troubleshoot and get PA from Hyundai.... engine ordered and arrived in 10 days, only one tech capable of doing the R&R so waited a couple days until he finished all the other engine replacements before mine... Tech stated that he replaces 15-20 a month. Enjoy your Hyundai.

What dealer are you using that hasn't replaced the engine? It would be approved or not approved. When approved, the order is placed and an ETA is provided. You should've gotten a written approval. Post copies of your receipts from the dealership. Visit dealer and get copies of all 'orders', receipts, written notes.... Nothing gets done with a phone call, email, or text.

#12 ·
My 2016 Tucson Limited (1.6L Turbo) had a complete engine failure at 62,360 miles. When I contacted Hyundai USA I immediately got a case number, but after two weeks I had never received a response back from them. I took the vehicle to my local Hyundai dealer, and they were extremely responsive. After verifying that I was the original owner (for warranty purposes) the new engine was ordered. It arrived twelve days later, and installation took another three days. There have been no issues with the vehicle since that time.

For anyone who has this engine, I would strongly advise using only full synthetic motor oil.

#13 ·
My Tucson's motor seized in September of 2021. It has 62000 miles and qualifies for the engine recall. My question is, what had been everyone's experience with getting their repairs made? My car has been sitting at the dealer since September and no one at the dealer can give me any idea when the parts will arrive or the repairs completed. I have a claim number through Hyundai but they are unresponsive (no one ever calls back). I have made complaints with the NHTSA and the Montana DOJ. I asked the dealer for a loaner vehicle but they refused. I was told by the dealer they no longer provide loaner vehicle because it's to difficult to get reimbursed by Hyundai. The dealer suggested I rent a vehicle and make the claim though Hyundai.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Im having a similar issue have a 2011 hyundai sonata limited engine seized with 70k miles called a few dealerships before finding one that told me to get it towed in it has been there since January almost 6 months at first it just sat there untouched for about 4 months they weren’t responding to my calls or giving me any updates then i contacted hyundaiUSA and they started reaching out to me but with no news i have a claim number they are now saying they are escalating the claim to see if they can get it approved for repair this is ridiculous luckily this isnt my only car

#15 ·

Thoughts/suggestions?
Recently (December 2022) (Hyundai Motors began to send notifications saying that they have extended the engine warranty for 5 more years or 150 thousand miles, whichever comes first.

#16 ·
that's interesting.. so it's to 15 year warranty now?

question: if I'm original owner (lease -> buyout) of a 2016 tucson.. leased in 2106 and lease-buyout in 2018.. anyone know up to what year I'm covered? is it 15 years from my lease (2106) or from when i bought it on lease end (2018)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.