Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately almost every morning my brakes have been seized. After releasing the parking brake the car won't budge without a bit of gas and a loud BANG from all four wheels as they become unstuck. And I don't mean a small bang, it sounds like someone whacked the wheel with a sledgehammer. It has been cold, snowy, icy, wet, and very salty here lately, but the car is parked in an underground garage overnight where the temperature is above freezing.

After becoming unstuck the brakes are noisy and very rough. They'll also re-seize at each stoplight, but with just a small bang. This slowly gets better as I use them, until the next time.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this normal?

I can't imagine it's good for the health of the brakes for this to be happening. I've heard of this happening if a car is left sitting in wet conditions for a couple weeks, but only after 12 hours, and again at each light? I also had the dealer take apart and clean the brakes about 4 months ago.

Also, are there any better aftermarket brakes I could get?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you paid recently to have them cleaned this should not be happening.

Head back to dealer with the receit; ask them what did or didn't lubricate.

New pads not the answer; properly lubricating caliper sliders etc yearly is suppose to prevent what is happening. Easily fixable problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Make sure that they lub the brake pads also. I had the same problem as you and the dealer lubricated the brake slide pins and the brake pads, this was done under warranty since my car is only 7 months old!

It's just a bad brake design, same problem on my Toyota. Brakes are just too exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I guess I'll be bringing this up when I go in for service next month. I looked at my last service invoice, and I paid $150 for "SERVICE FRONT AND REAR BRAKES, Clean and lubricate caliper sliders, pins & adjusters, apply brake stop squeal to friction material, improves braking performance".

They were overloaded when I was in for service near the end of the day and ended up staying a bit after closing, so I'm wondering if it was done properly or even at all. There was some light pink grease visible on the outside of the calipers after the service... but who knows if they actually took apart the brakes and cleaned them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have this happen on the rears after I wash the car, but all four is not normal! Once you turn the car off and release the brake pedal the calipers should let go. "E-Brake" is only connected to the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts