Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the seatbelt on my 03 Elantra was fraying badly enough to interfere with the seatbelt functionality, so I had to replace it. I just bought and installed an aftermarket replacement assembly, which replaced everything: the buckle, belt, retractor, etc.

I was able to figure out how to short the seatbelt warning light on the buckle(female), but my airbag light is on and I think it’s because I detached the wires leading to the pretensioner on the original retractor. (Didn’t know what a pretensioner was until afterwards, if I had known this would be an issue I would have just left it wired up.) The replacement retractor doesn’t have a pretensioner either. Does anyone know what resistor value I would need to use to close the circuit properly? I could test the pretensioner with a multimeter, but some posts I’ve read said it might go off then.

Also, I guess there’s another SRS circuit in the belt buckle assembly that I shorted, but I’m not sure if that’s an issue at the moment. Unfortunately, I don’t have an OBD2 reader that does SRS codes. Is it worth to drop $120 on an Autel 619, or is there a cheaper way to read/erase those codes?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Why not buy an OE belt-retractor assembly from Hyundai and do it right ? That just not something you skimp on.

Aftermarket belt ?? I be concerned in the safety stds qualifications on that,, could amount to standard of piece of rope Eliie Mae used to hold her pants up.. or was it Jethro who used rope for belt ?

Pre-tension squib is 2 or 2.2 ohm I think..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had to smile when I saw your question. My Hyundai dealership says they have a seatbelt for a 2002 Elantra GT in stock — and the part is only $550.

No mystery why people look elsewhere for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,651 Posts
I'd rather buy a used OEM belt from a breakers yard (ebay) than buy an aftermarket one of questionable quality. I'm sure there are plenty of Elantra that have been scrapped for reasons other than accident damage. Many in the UK have died due to body corrosion issues that don't effect the seatbelts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts