Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting cold now I've noticed the seat warmers seem to be pretty awful..... Low seems to do practically nothing, and high seems pretty low.

Is this the same around the board or is mine abnormally bad?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The seat heaters on my Santa Fe are nuclear and I love them for it. I went to a movie a few weeks ago and it was after midnight when I got back to the car so the temperature had already dropped to around 40º. I had to turn them off within in 3 minutes because they had gotten uncomfortably hot.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am okay with mine, I believe the design is a good balance between heating and not risking damaging the seats. I have heard about car leather seats that have discolored because of the heaters that were to hot. When I put them on high I have to switch it to low withing a few minutes. My wife, who is normally more sensitive to cold also switches her side back to low after a few minutes. Will report again when we had a really cold day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heated seats are actually a concern for me (thinking about adding a second '11 Sonata to the stable; 2.0T Limited). My ownership experiences with heated seats thus far are with European cars, which typically have at least three heat settings, if not more (I've had cars with up to six). And, they don't cycle on and off, but rather they are thermostat-controlled and will reach and then maintain the selected temperature. My brother had a Nissan 350Z and the heated seats in that car (High and Low) were strange in that the heat cycled on and off, it just stayed on longer on the high setting. My stepdad's 350Z, of newer vintage than my brother's was, behaves the same way. My experience has been similar with other Japanese cars, and American cars. Do the Sonata heated seats behave the same way; i.e., they cycle on and off rather than reach and maintain the selected temperature?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For mine high is too hot after it gets going. I usually start on high and after about 10 minutes have to go to low or shut them off as they get pretty toasty. Wearing khaki pants though, I'm sure with jeans you might not feel it as much. First time in a car with heated seats so can't comment on how they are compared to others. But for me if you leave it on high for more than 10 minutes it gets too hot to be comfortable.

·
Registered
505 Posts
QUOTE (NBCGLX @ Oct 23 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365721
Heated seats are actually a concern for me (thinking about adding a second '11 Sonata to the stable; 2.0T Limited). My ownership experiences with heated seats thus far are with European cars, which typically have at least three heat settings, if not more (I've had cars with up to six). And, they don't cycle on and off, but rather they are thermostat-controlled and will reach and then maintain the selected temperature. My brother had a Nissan 350Z and the heated seats in that car (High and Low) were strange in that the heat cycled on and off, it just stayed on longer on the high setting. My stepdad's 350Z, of newer vintage than my brother's was, behaves the same way. My experience has been similar with other Japanese cars, and American cars. Do the Sonata heated seats behave the same way; i.e., they cycle on and off rather than reach and maintain the selected temperature?
I don't know for sure, but I would assume they work off a split voltage.

Low = 6 volts
High = 12 volts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I traded an 09 Accord for the Sonata. The Accord had heated seats. The Sonata's seats heat up quicker than the Accord's and get a tad warmer. By the time the Accord's seats heated up to the point where they were actually doing any good, the heater was blowing out hot air and the cabin temperature was getting comfortable.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bought mine last February and the warmers worked just right for me.......

My last car (XG 300) didn't have the lower setting just on or off so I like these a bit better.

·
Registered
589 Posts
On a related topic, does anybody know if the passenger seat (I'm sure rear is only bottom cushions due to no wires on the reclining backrests) has warmers on the backrest or just the bottom cushion? Never had a car with heated rear seats, but all other cars I've had only heated the cushion on the passenger seat due to airbag sensor being on the backrest. Haven't found out on my newest 2 cars yet, but curious. Thx.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (steveL332 @ Oct 24 2010, 03:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365847
I traded an 09 Accord for the Sonata. The Accord had heated seats. The Sonata's seats heat up quicker than the Accord's and get a tad warmer. By the time the Accord's seats heated up to the point where they were actually doing any good, the heater was blowing out hot air and the cabin temperature was getting comfortable.
My dad's got an '07 Acura RL and it seems heated seats are something of a weakness for Honda/Acura because I've noticed the same thing. They are VERY slow to warm up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 24 2010, 02:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365933
On a related topic, does anybody know if the passenger seat (I'm sure rear is only bottom cushions due to no wires on the reclining backrests) has warmers on the backrest or just the bottom cushion? Never had a car with heated rear seats, but all other cars I've had only heated the cushion on the passenger seat due to airbag sensor being on the backrest. Haven't found out on my newest 2 cars yet, but curious. Thx.
My '09 VW Jetta heats the cushion and backrest on the passenger's seat. By the way, the occupant sensors for the passenger airbag is typically located in the bottom cushion, not the backrest. It needs to detect the weight of the occupant in order to know if the airbag should deploy or not; i.e., under a certain weight (child) the airbag will not deploy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (NBCGLX @ Oct 24 2010, 07:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365990
By the way, the occupant sensors for the passenger airbag is typically located in the bottom cushion, not the backrest.
Correct. Guess should have been more specific. The electronics are on the backrest. At least that's what Acura and Lexus claimed as recently as 2004. Or could have been just an excuse not to put warmers there :grin:. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks/months what is it with Hyundai. Take care.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking my seats are exceptionally weak... I definitely haven't experienced the heat I seam to be hearing from most of you. For me the high setting just becomes barely suitable after 5+ minutes and doesn't really heat up any more.... and I have turned on the passenger seat to low and waited about 5 minutes to feel it with my hand and it doesn't even feel warm.

I guess the only question is if it's poor enough to actually complain about it, or if that wouldn't even do any good/not worth it. I'll be doing some more testing as it continues to get colder...

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 24 2010, 02:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365916

Both driver and passenger are heated seat and lower back; both rear seats are heated seats only.

QUOTE (tom53086 @ Oct 26 2010, 09:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366583
I'm thinking my seats are exceptionally weak... I definitely haven't experienced the heat I seam to be hearing from most of you. For me the high setting just becomes barely suitable after 5+ minutes and doesn't really heat up any more.... and I have turned on the passenger seat to low and waited about 5 minutes to feel it with my hand and it doesn't even feel warm.

I guess the only question is if it's poor enough to actually complain about it, or if that wouldn't even do any good/not worth it. I'll be doing some more testing as it continues to get colder...
As for the heat produced - they seem plenty sufficient. The seats in my wife's Sonata seem to heat up just as quickly as my G37 and get about as warm as my G on 'level 5' (of 6); I usually find myself changing to low setting after 5-10 minutes.

Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket? If so, that's a nice thick piece of insulation that many people don't think about (may be preventing you from feeling the heat as much, or causing uneven heating).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rather then raise a new topic, bought this one up from the past.

My 2013 Limited seems to have the lamest heater I have ever felt (or not felt in this case). Low is not even noticeable, High is noticeable and it becomes somewhat warm. Is this good as it gets? them seem barely useful. My old Subarus would get warm on low, and HOT on high.
I took it in to the dealer to complain, they measured it and said both seats heat up to 78F. Is that typical?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Rather then raise a new topic, bought this one up from the past.

My 2013 Limited seems to have the lamest heater I have ever felt (or not felt in this case). Low is not even noticeable, High is noticeable and it becomes somewhat warm. Is this good as it gets? them seem barely useful. My old Subarus would get warm on low, and HOT on high.
I took it in to the dealer to complain, they measured it and said both seats heat up to 78F. Is that typical?
Mine is the same; I never use the Low setting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Same here, high just feels warm after 5 minutes or so.

Not like my previous cars. My wife's 2007 Durango will burn your a$$ off on high for more than 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts