Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This new limited is my first car with leather seats. I know absolutely nothing about taking care of them besides "Clean and condition them regularly."

What do you guys use? How often? Any tips?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner. I'm not a messy person in the car so I don't eat and get crumbs or spill stuff all over. I usually only use a cleaner twice a year and apply the conditioner every three to four months.

Also refrain from wearing any articles of clothing like jeans with big metal rivets or flashy decor on the pockets or anything that could scrape up the leather and damage it.

Clean up messes as soon as they happen and it won't create any problems. And vacuum the seats with a soft brush attachment paying close attention to the seams and along the piping, sucking up any chewies and crumblies that can hide. The dirt and grit that accumulates there will act as abrasive if not cleaned out and over time will cut into the surface and eventually ruin the seats.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
According to the Hyundai FAQ website:

How can I keep the interior of my vehicle clean?
1. Start by vacuuming loose dirt and dust from the cloth or leather-trimmed upholstery. Then apply a solution of mild soap and water using a clean cloth or sponge. (Be careful not to soak the upholstery because this can increase the chance of discoloration or mildew.)

2. Wipe the upholstery and repeat as necessary until the surface is clean. Keep in mind that leather upholstery contains sufficient oils. Oils applied to the surface will not enhance the leather and may actually damage the finish. (Note: Never use gasoline, solvents, paint thinner, or other strong cleaners, as they can discolor and damage upholstery.)

So, any treatment that mentions oil (Lexol, Zaino, Meguiars, Mothers and many others) is bad for your leather seats and would possibly damage them and not be covered under any Hyundai warranty. Anything that contains silicone (Vinylex and other vinyl treaments) may be good for vinyl, but should never be used on leather. As far as I know, Hyundai does not make a leathercare product, so anything a dealer is selling is probably whatever they chose to sell, and most likely an oil-based product.

I clean nine with the Leather Masters Soft Cleaner which is a mild water-based cleaner and safe for coated leather. I then protect with Leather Masters Protection Cream which is water-based and will protect the pigmented surface and hydrate the leather. Both are available on Amazon.

Keep in mind that not the entire seat is leather, just the parts that touch your body. To tell what is leather and what is vinyl, press your finger into the fabric. If you see tiny creases going out radially from your finger, it is leather. If no wrinkles, it is vinyl and should be cleaned and conditioned with Vinylex. Practice the finger test on the top of the seat bottom and the side of the seat to see the difference in wrinkles with leather. It is very subtle, but you can see a difference. Test each surface to be sure. For example, on my Azera, the front headrests are leather, but the rear headrests are vinyl.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The question is - where and how much real leather is used on the seats - the seating surfaces may be real leather but the rest is usually man made material.........anyone? I agree that water based may be the answer...

·
Registered
144 Posts
A disclaimer for interior trim described by Hyundai as “leather seating with heated front seats” goes on to say “finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof”.

just fyi......p

·
Registered
200 Posts
There’s a great product called “Leather Only”. I’ve been using it for several years and have been very happy with it. Between applications, I use a cloth with lukewarm water to wipe off the seats.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone has suggested using 303 leather conditioner and cleaner as well as Lexol. Trying to figure out where what all I need to get since I'm putting together an amazon order

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the leather to and if its like the leather in my fully loaded 09 edge you don't need to condition the leather. Just use any leather safe cleaning product but gently vacuum and brush before hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts