Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking under the hood of an Sonata SE at the dealership and the salesman made a comment about the transmission was a sealed unit? So,do you still service the trans at certain intervals? I am assuming it is not completely maintenance free,right? There is no dipstick that I could find....

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is no required maintenance for the transmission. You can change the fluid out but it's a major pain is not required for normal driving (it's in the tech manual online).

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 6 2010, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320422
Why is it a major pain? Is there a drain plug? Do you have to drop the pan?
there's a drain plug but how do you put transmission oil back in? Usually through the dip stick port, but the 2011 sonata is sans transmission dipstick. The tech manual doesn't tell you how, it just mentions after draining refill.

Edit maybe on the return line from the transmission oil cooler? sketchy though...

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (osrk @ May 6 2010, 09:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320425
there's a drain plug but how do you put transmission oil back in? Usually through the dip stick port, but the 2011 sonata is sans transmission dipstick. The tech manual doesn't tell you how, it just mentions after draining refill.

Edit maybe on the return line from the transmission oil cooler? sketchy though...
No transmission can go unlimited miles without servicing the fluid. I am sure that its ok til 100K but then its on you to replace fluid. Transmissions need to be designed so they can be serviced period. I have never burnt up a tranny from servicing the tranny to often.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When I got my oil changed at the dealer with only 1200 miles on it the service manager tried to talk me out of it. I explained that I was old school and believed in doing the first change early. He basically said to not bother going old school on the trans because they don't do fluid changes on them. He wasn't too happy either, but that was because it's one less thing they can try to sell.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ May 7 2010, 08:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320534
He wasn't too happy either, but that was because it's one less thing they can try to sell.
Thats something I was thinking about too. Even if Hyundai had built these Transmissions to not need a fluid change, you would still think they would want people to do it anyways, so their dealers have one more service they can make money off. Hmm, oh well. Good for us, bad for service departments! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
i would imagine the fill port is much like the fill port in a manual transmission. On the transmission itself towards the top.

What about the filter?

I'm sorry there is no way i'm waiting 100k to change my trans fluid. If you wait that long you may as well never change it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think people are having a hard time adjusting to this decade. They still live in the past when the auto industry was at the begining. Why is it so difficult to believe the manufacturer when he says the transmission fluid needs no replacement for the life of the car? Do you think they designed the transmission so well and have no idea when to change the fluid? They did millions of testing miles with it and they are the only ones who know exactly what it needs. As far as I am concerned this is an excellent job and one less maintenance issue. Do not listen to the dealers because they have no clue on this issues. I worked at a car dealership where it was advertised that we are "factory trained" but believe me that is not the case. A lot of old school guys are out there and they will keep their old ways. Technology and materials have evolved tremendously and one of the best example is this magnificent Sonata. The dealer who sold the Sonata to me doubled the warranty for engine and transmission to 20 years and 200.000 miles for free. I guess that is a long time to go so no worries here.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 8 2010, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320869
I think people are having a hard time adjusting to this decade. They still live in the past when the auto industry was at the begining. Why is it so difficult to believe the manufacturer when he says the transmission fluid needs no replacement for the life of the car? Do you think they designed the transmission so well and have no idea when to change the fluid? They did millions of testing miles with it and they are the only ones who know exactly what it needs. As far as I am concerned this is an excellent job and one less maintenance issue. Do not listen to the dealers because they have no clue on this issues. I worked at a car dealership where it was advertised that we are "factory trained" but believe me that is not the case. A lot of old school guys are out there and they will keep their old ways. Technology and materials have evolved tremendously and one of the best example is this magnificent Sonata.

100% We like in an age where I can get ANY information I want, and control practically anything, from a 2"x4" device, wirelessly. Technology has come so far, most people don't even realize it, just because they don't know what kind of power is literally at their fingertips if they choose to use it. Of course manufacturers have applied it to their materials and design.

QUOTE (tibike @ May 8 2010, 09:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320869
The dealer who sold the Sonata to me doubled the warranty for engine and transmission to 20 years and 200.000 miles for free. I guess that is a long time to go so no worries here.
Alot of dealers are doing this, or even offering Lifetime drivetrain. Its not much of a risk. The warranty is not transferable. How many new-car buyers in this category keep their cars more than 10 years? The car will fall apart before the 20 year warranty is up, if the dealer is still open. Though I am tempted to buy at one of the Lifetime places and keep the car until its a classic. :bwekk:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can someone explain the schematics of this 6 speed automatic? Specifically, is there a drain plug? Is it on the side or the bottom of the transmission? Good point someone made with putting fluid through the trans-cooler lines. If the drain plug was mounted on the side, you could put a Fumoto valve and drain then pump fluid in and close the valve.

·
Registered
111 Posts
From what I understand, even on an older car, if you haven't been changing transmission fluid regularly, its even worse to change it out once your mileage is high.

The fluid on this car should last you long after you've already decided to switch out to car for a 2025 electric/hydro/magic whatever engine will be popular in the future.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 8 2010, 07:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320869
I think people are having a hard time adjusting to this decade. They still live in the past when the auto industry was at the begining. Why is it so difficult to believe the manufacturer when he says the transmission fluid needs no replacement for the life of the car? Do you think they designed the transmission so well and have no idea when to change the fluid? They did millions of testing miles with it and they are the only ones who know exactly what it needs. As far as I am concerned this is an excellent job and one less maintenance issue. Do not listen to the dealers because they have no clue on this issues. I worked at a car dealership where it was advertised that we are "factory trained" but believe me that is not the case. A lot of old school guys are out there and they will keep their old ways. Technology and materials have evolved tremendously and one of the best example is this magnificent Sonata. The dealer who sold the Sonata to me doubled the warranty for engine and transmission to 20 years and 200.000 miles for free. I guess that is a long time to go so no worries here.
Here's a picture of the "Lifetime" fluid that was pulled from a BMW 760Li owned by a member of another forum that I'm on. This fluid had 70,000 miles on it and was originally gold-colored. I don't care how advanced it is, when a lubricant looks like that, it isn't doing its job the way it should. After having the fluid changed, he said it shifts smoother and no longer gets a 'bump' in first gear. The way I see it, 'lifetime' fluids are only 'lifetime' for the length of the warranty. If the manufacturers can get through the warranty without a transmission claim, they won't care what happens to it after it expires.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Mar 17 2011, 02:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=416515
Here's a picture of the "Lifetime" fluid that was pulled from a BMW 760Li owned by a member of another forum that I'm on. This fluid had 70,000 miles on it and was originally gold-colored. I don't care how advanced it is, when a lubricant looks like that, it isn't doing its job the way it should. After having the fluid changed, he said it shifts smoother and no longer gets a 'bump' in first gear. The way I see it, 'lifetime' fluids are only 'lifetime' for the length of the warranty. If the manufacturers can get through the warranty without a transmission claim, they won't care what happens to it after it expires.

So very true. End thread/

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Mar 17 2011, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=416515

Good write up! The picture is very helpful too and I agree with you about no fluid could really work effectively forever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As per page 7-17 of the owner's manual the auto trans fluid gets changed at 60,000 under the "severe usage conditions" schedule. Like most manufacturers, Hyundai's definition of "severe usage" probably covers more people than the "normal" schedule.

Attached are the procedures for checking the level and for replacing the fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Mar 17 2011, 02:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=416515

Thanks for that photo. Lubricants are lubricants, none are good forever and IMO 50,000 is plenty far for any ATF, no matter how magical it may be. The laws of glop still apply.

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (2011IBGLS @ Mar 17 2011, 06:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=416839
As per page 7-17 of the owner's manual the auto trans fluid gets changed at 60,000 under the "severe usage conditions" schedule. Like most manufacturers, Hyundai's definition of "severe usage" probably covers more people than the "normal" schedule.

Attached are the procedures for checking the level and for replacing the fluid.
Interesting. Where did all this talk come from about the fluid never needing to be changed?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Lifetime fluid is a scam. It's just like long life coolant in cars, you change the coolant regularly. Look at GM DexCool. Fluid's get worn out and dirty, I don't care what anyone says.

All fluids, brake, power steering, coolant, transmission and engine oil need servicing. I just flushed out some brake fluid from my 06 Sonata, it came out brown and murky. Fresh fluid is clear like water.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts