Hyundai Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard great things about using Seafoam to clean out & wake up old engines. Been thinking it might be a good thing to do to the car. Obviously I know where to put it if I want to add it to my gas or oil, but which hose/vacuum line or whatever do I disconnect & spray it into to get it to suck in & burn in all cylinders as the directions say to do? Here's a pic of the engine bay.. would be great if someone could circle the best spot(s) to spray Seafoam into that's be grrrreat. 8)

And of course any input/advice/warnings etc are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The vacuum hose from the brake booster. You don't spray there, it just gets drawn in by vacuum. Do a Google, Seafoam, or You Tube search - about a million videos on this.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vacuum hose from the brake booster. You don't spray there, it just gets drawn in by vacuum. Do a Google, Seafoam, or You Tube search - about a million videos on this.
And which hose is that in the pic I posted?

I did google/checked youtube. Obviously each engine is different and parts are in different positions. I'm no mechanic, clearly, as I only know some basics. Anyways, I didn't find any pics/vids of 1987 2.0L hyundais getting Seafoamed, soooo on this particular car - which hose?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
hopping around your car and mumbling some words of prayer will have a comparable effect on your car's engine. Nothing.
With this 'procedure' you'll just burn some extra carbohydrates resulting in some smoke.
What do you expect more from that ? Wash off diamond hard deposits on your valves built up over (23 in your case) years in a minute ?
Save your money. Better invested in high quality motor oil and regular changing.

Anyway if you're not capable of locating the brake booster and its related vacuum hose in a quite unpopulated engine bay of a 4+ generations old model you'd better leave it alone anyway.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, jackass.

1) I noticed an instant improvement when I added a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil & gas. Sooo, obviously these cleaning solvents actually DO do something and things ARE dirty and gummed up.

2) Like I said, I'm not a mechanic. Automotive mechanics is not my area of expertise. I'm not stupid. I simply need to know which hose to disconnect and spray the stuff in. It's not rocket surgery. I'm sure I could find a diagram in the user manual, but I figured I'd just ask considering it should be a relatively simple question for anyone who does know to answer. Clearly it can't be that simple or someone like yourself would have been able to answer respectfully vs. opt to insult my intelligence.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is a Stellar 2.0.

I thought about spraying it in through the air cleaner & removed the cover to have a look, just didn't want to go ahead and do that if there's a better option.. but if it's all the same either way, then I suppose I could just go ahead and Seafoam it through there.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thank you very much.

1) instant improvement ... these cleaning solvents actually DO do something
That's what the makers of these products make you (the customer in general) believe by fairly simple physics tricks (which is basically adding other fractions of mineral oil that usually do not go to the gas sold at the pump - for good reasons).

Apparently it works well.

2) I'm not stupid
... I'm sure I could find a diagram ...
... simple question ...
... insult my intelligence
ok ...

Basic systematic knowledge and capability of generalization in technical things have nothing to do with (other area) intelligence at all. I know very intelligent people that do not get it right to grab a screwdriver at the correct end.

I'm looking at these 'magic' products from an engineer's standpoint and from there things look different.

I gave you advice (output) based on your statements (input).
Apparently you did not like the output. That again is no reason to call me whatever bad name comes to your mind in that very moment.

I decided not to tell you right away that the hose you were looking for is the black one going from the big black can (bolted to the firewall) to the intake manifold (could you identify that one ?) because I believed to give you better service by advising you not to mess with it.

Why do you go to a forum if you can't stand that you'll not always get the advice you would like to see ? That is an inherent risk when doing so.

You may wanna read a little e.g. here to nourish your intelligence.

I'm out of this discussion since it contains a lot of belief and arguing is a waste of time.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dad had a 87 Stellar 5 spd CX back in the day , I loved driving it...
Miss my Pony's too..
Being such a old engine the last thing I'd do is add any sort of cleaner to the 'oil'.
Learned that lesson with our 86 Micra, smoked after I ran a engine cleaner though it b4 draining the old oil.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I came to this forum to ask questions and get answers. If you're not interested in answering my question, why bother posting in my thread?

Engines are supposed to smoke when using a solvent based cleaner to clean 'em out... I'm expecting the Seafoam to create a massive smoke screen as it burns out carbon deposits. That's what it's supposed to do. Then it should stop smoking and run smoother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.