Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i get in my car today, the TPS system light comes on..i had an appt close by so i quickly walked around looked at each tire...all seemed fine...went and came back from appt...light still on..so manually checked with a gauge...

Front Driver - 30 PSI
Front Passenger - 34 PSI
Rear Driver - 35 PSI
Rear Passenger - 33 PSI

is it the front driver one setting it off? or all of them?
whats recommended for the SE tires?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I can't speak to the SE as I have the Limited but one of my TPMS went off twice already since the colder weather has started. Once I filled one tire. Once I had to top off all four. They seem to set it off around 30. Very sensitive but better to be on the safe side. On the other hand I wish the display could simply let you know and then go back to the normal display instead of being stuck on Low Tire Pressure or whatever it says.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and the tire pressure is supposed to be 33psi, but I keep them at 33.5 al l the way around.
When I had my 2008 Tiburon my light wnet off and that was becasue there was a few lbs difference from one tire to the other. I bet if you bring your front driver tire from 30lbs to 34lbs to match your front passagener one your problem should go away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (XxSuperGmaN25xX @ Dec 7 2010, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377682
so i get in my car today, the TPS system light comes on..i had an appt close by so i quickly walked around looked at each tire...all seemed fine...went and came back from appt...light still on..so manually checked with a gauge...

Front Driver - 30 PSI
Front Passenger - 34 PSI
Rear Driver - 35 PSI
Rear Passenger - 33 PSI

is it the front driver one setting it off? or all of them?
whats recommended for the SE tires?

Thanks in advance.

You need to set it to 35 PSI all around (this info is also shown on the center pillar when you open the driver door). Due to weather change, tires are known to deflate few psi's. Its a good idea to check your tire pressure every month just so that the mileage is consistent.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Another tidbit...when checking your tires....your tires should be checked when the tires are cold and in ambient temperatures, meaning, if it's consistently around 25-30 degrees outside....make sure your tires are checked when they have been outside for some time, not in the mornings in a warmer garage (this will also affect your readings).

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Dec 7 2010, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377705
my dealer filled mines with nitrogen and will refill for free when needed. Im glad they did, look at the benefits http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php. food for thought you may want to switch
There is a whole thread around here debating the actual benefits. Might want to look into that, i've seen no difference at all, I've had nitrogen and I constantly had to refill my tires. Using regular air now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Dec 7 2010, 05:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377700
You need to set it to 35 PSI all around (this info is also shown on the center pillar when you open the driver door). Due to weather change, tires are known to deflate few psi's. Its a good idea to check your tire pressure every month just so that the mileage is consistent.

yepp..i found that. im 99% sure this is the correct info i was lookin for..going to fill up later. my car unforutnately sits outsside allll day/night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stupid question...if I have nitrogen can I topp it off with normal air or do I need to completely deflate it before filling with air?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (crh46 @ Dec 7 2010, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377717
stupid question...if I have nitrogen can I topp it off with normal air or do I need to completely deflate it before filling with air?

my dealer said that I could top off with reg air if I am not in the area of the dealer but as soon as i got a chance to return to the dealer so they can get it back to the right mixture. so i guess its ok

·
Registered
717 Posts
I run my SE at 40-45 PSI. Door says 35 psi the tire shows a max of 50. I see no downside of running them at 40-45 psi.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Dec 8 2010, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377856
I run my SE at 40-45 PSI. Door says 35 psi the tire shows a max of 50. I see no downside of running them at 40-45 psi.
40-45 PSI may be too high. As bearcats mentioned, the center tread might suffer. Also, your ride will be much stiffer which means more chance for things to become loose (considering that Sonata already has so many complaints about rattles, I would not set my TP so high :) )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Monday was the first really cold (relatively speaking) here in central Florida. The TP indicator came on and I checked all four with my 99¢ tire guage and the all read a tick over 27 psi.

After golf today (no fun in this weather) I stopped by the dealership. Sonatas lined up 10 deep at the service bay entrance and a kid witha 150' hose scambling to do one car after the other.

All ok now as they all read 35 psi on the same guage. Nice to know they work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Dec 7 2010, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377700
Due to weather change, tires are known to deflate few psi's.

Cold air temps don't cause your tires to "deflate" the reason the pressure is lower with low air temps is the air molecules contract i.e. are closer together so the pressure goes down. The opposite is true when your tires heat up then the air molecules expand and the pressure rises.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Dec 8 2010, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377856
+1

was showing low tire pressure last week when it was in the upper 40's. temps dipped to low 30's last night and pressure was around 25psi for all 4's. set pressure to 40. no more warning light.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks, and how can you prove the center tread is going to wear faster? This is not a 15" tire that balloons in the center as the pressure goes up. So I leave it as it is and will adjust if wear problems show. Also my ride is just fine at 30 psi and 45 psi. I have 0 rattles so I guess I got a lucky car.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (osrk @ Dec 14 2010, 06:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379846
The spare tire in the back also has a sensor. It's pressure is about 65 psi. Check it too
Better look again.... Registering sensor ID's only calls for the 4 full size at each corner... not called out in GDS to register spare... why a sensor in a doughnut ?? TPMS only has 4 ID slots, not 5..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts