Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my SE, but my wife objects to the harsh ride on rough roads, which we have a lot of in PA, and I tend to agree with her. Are there modifications that can be made to the suspension, i.e., increase suspension travel and soften damping to make a more comfortable ride without significantly sacrificing the fine handling attributes? I fully understand that the SE is sport tuned for superior handling. And I know that the integral suspension components are designed to work together, and changing one component can have unintended consequences.
I plan to order 17 inch wheels with winter tires for the winter season, and that will give me a sense of how much of the harsh ride is attributable to the 18 inch wheels, although winter tires are not a very good substitute.
Any insight will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (DMLexpert @ Jul 29 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345938
One thought I had regarding the SE in question:
- If relatively new to the owner in the OP, it could have the famous "tire pressure at 60psi so they don't flat-spot" factory tweak that will make the 18 inch wheel/tire combo even stiffer. Check the pressure and set it to the recommended placard pressure if it's not already there.
I had checked the pressure and reduced it to 33 lbs. The suspension appears to be the primary factor. I am wondering what modifications can be made which will improve "ride" without dramatically compromising handling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (itsjusme51 @ Aug 2 2010, 04:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346721
i live in western pa....and the ride is harsh. but as stated above i think its just our stiff suspension, which i knew to expect when i got the SE. the strut bar DOES help a good deal in my opinion.
With the exception of ssmuff, I appreciate your serious and helpful responses. I may install the strut bar and see what impact that makes. It appears that there are very few after-market suspension parts available at this time, and I am sure that will change in the near future. For instance, upgrades to the basic suspension may provide an alternative. I guess I want it all; good handling and a more compliant ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.