Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the wife has had her SE for what, 6 months now? She has been taking my Toyota Avalon to work on the snowy nights lately and has commented on how much better she likes the ride of the Avalon. With that in mind I drove her car (the Sonata) the other day and it is really firm and even a bit bouncy compared to the Avalon. Is there anything I can do to the SE to soften up the ride? Different struts, smaller wheels with a touring tire maybe?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Dec 20 2010, 10:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381873
Well, the wife has had her SE for what, 6 months now? She has been taking my Toyota Avalon to work on the snowy nights lately and has commented on how much better she likes the ride of the Avalon. With that in mind I drove her car (the Sonata) the other day and it is really firm and even a bit bouncy compared to the Avalon. Is there anything I can do to the SE to soften up the ride? Different struts, smaller wheels with a touring tire maybe?

first thing you want to do is check the tire pressure, make sure its set correctly (refer to the tire pressure sticker in the driver door jam area.

secondly, with the profile tires you have + the firmer suspension on the SE its made to be less forgiving, especially if you compare it to a Toyota Avalon which is made to ride rather smooth.

new wheels and tires could help, but you still have the SE suspension you need to worry about.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by SE suspension are we talking about struts, springs, or what?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so your telling me without spending a BOAT load of money, the ride is what it is? I knew she should have gotten the Limited, but I know nothing!!!!! She was more interested in the looks then the ride until she got it home and started driving it everyday.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Dec 20 2010, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381883
so your telling me without spending a BOAT load of money, the ride is what it is? I knew she should have gotten the Limited, but I know nothing!!!!! She was more interested in the looks then the ride until she got it home and started driving it everyday.

tharts kinda why I went with the limited.

its actually the struts as well, they are different as well compared to the Limited/gls

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
But going from a 18" low profile rim / tire to a 16" rim / tire will make a big difference in the ride. The 16" will be a much softer ride. Yes the suspension is stiffer on a SE, but you might be fine with it as long as you have a nice set of 16" tires.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I was thinking, but nobody else seemed to agree with me

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Dec 21 2010, 07:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381955
Its a combination of all the above. However I believe you "might" be able to get enough of the harshness out by getting out of the 18's. I went from 17 to 18 on my Maxima and the difference was night and day. So much my wife even commented on it. See if you can arrange a temp "swap" with someone before outlaying for a new set of rims.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 21 2010, 09:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381968
Not really sure how it can be considered 'bouncy'? Might need further clarification on that description. Depending on his description moving to 17 or 16 could make that situation worse.

for instance i was driving from orlando to nyc and on certain parts of the highway the ground goes sort of ribbed. in my se i bounce up in down and in my old elantra i didnt. i have taken this trip many times. It reminds me of when i had my civic and had it lowered 2 inches

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
She chose the car? Because of looks? Sounds like no research was done before the vehicle was purchased. Make her suck it up and live with it.

By bouncy, I think he means the ride is more rigid and the occupants get bounced up and down because the suspension isn't soaking up the bumps.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (sngldad @ Dec 21 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382009
She chose the car? Because of looks? Sounds like no research was done before the vehicle was purchased. Make her suck it up and live with it.

By bouncy, I think he means the ride is more rigid and the occupants get bounced up and down because the suspension isn't soaking up the bumps.
That's what I was thinking, then 16" wheels would be the way to go. The more rubber on the side of the tire the softer the bumps will feel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is the stiffer springs causing a more aggressive ride. I test drove the limited turbo and SE turbo back to back. Both have 18's. The Limited ride was much more plush with lighter steering. SE had heaver steering, and ride reminded me my buddies BMW, not rough, just more sporty.

I don't think you can get the Avalon like ride quality in a sonata. You have to take into account, Avalon's are aimed at the retired population. I would recommend to trade up to a limited, instead of dropping all sorts of cash into the suspension, which may affect your warranty and alignment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Dec 21 2010, 07:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381955
Oh, I agree with you.
I bought the GLS with the 16" alloy wheels and normal profile tires, the SE ride was too stiff and bouncy.
Maybe you could find someone with a GLS who will trade wheels with you... :whistling:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (sngldad @ Dec 21 2010, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382009
That is exactly what I am talking about. Are there any SE owners that have changed out to a 16" wheel, and if so were you happy with the results?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ask again:

Are there any SE owners that have changed out to a 16" wheel/tire, and if so were you happy with the results?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts