Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the SE perform going uphill? I test drove the SE but wasn't able to drive it up a hill. Anyone with the SE care to answer? Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (oOkateOo @ Jun 13 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332616
How does the SE perform going uphill? I test drove the SE but wasn't able to drive it up a hill. Anyone with the SE care to answer? Thanks!
There is a gas pedal, you have to press it down to give the engine enough fuel to go up a hill.

It would stop moving forward, not sure if it would actually rolls backwards, depending on the incline if no extra gas is fed to the engine. A bicycle would go uphill if your pedal power overcomes gravity. 200 HP cannot move up a hill? LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (hancydan @ Jun 13 2010, 01:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332654
There is a gas pedal, you have to press it down to give the engine enough fuel to go up a hill.

It would stop moving forward, not sure if it would actually rolls backwards, depending on the incline if no extra gas is fed to the engine. A bicycle would go uphill if your pedal power overcomes gravity. 200 HP cannot move up a hill? LOL.

I didn't have the OPPORTUNITY to drive it up a hill. Why would I ask about the ability of the SE to power up a hill if I had already driven it up a hill?

I'm here in the forum to obtain answers to questions that I have about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, not to receive sarcastic comments. I bet you think you're funny but I surely do not.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (hancydan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332654

Hahahaha!! Good one. But seriously, if you really want to know just GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND TEST DRIVE IT UPHILL. This will satisfy your curiosity and avoid the completely subjective opinions you're going to get here. Any dealership worth anything will have no problem with this. Always test drive the car the way you normally drive it... and in the instances you want to recreate.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 13 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332662
Hahahaha!! Good one. But seriously, if you really want to know just GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND TEST DRIVE IT UPHILL. This will satisfy your curiosity and avoid the completely subjective opinions you're going to get here. Any dealership worth anything will have no problem with this. Always test drive the car the way you normally drive it... and in the instances you want to recreate.
When I arrived in South Florida I noticed there were no hills and no mountains, yet Cuba, part of Miami has 8.000 ft Mountains.

You guys have been very hard on this poor chap. :innocent:

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (oOkateOo @ Jun 13 2010, 03:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332616
Ahhhh Ok, har, I thought the same thing I think others did. He drove it up hill and it would not make it!!! Gotcha now Oka, if you had said:
"No hills around here how does it perform in hilly terrain?" Anyway, no harm, no foul.

Rolling hills of Wisconsin does just fine (My Limited with 198 HP) and the few steep ones that I have run into (northern WI) gave me no trouble at all.
Somewhere buried deep within the internet there is a review of the Sonata in "Frisco", if I remember correctly and there is a post somewhere here
where folks did some travels in the great West. Hopefully they will chime in.

Anyway :00000732:

Chuck

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK, now you did say, "hill" in which case I can personally attest it does just fine. I live in northern California and we have quite a varied terrain around here. ["Makes for great driving!"] :3gears: Anywho... I like to drive pretty, "spirited" and have passed cars going up hill on some of the rolling hills around here. [Hwy 1 to be more specific.] As for the hills of San Francisco, again, no problems. I can get out of my own way whenever necessary. Now if you want to know how it does in the mountains at high altitude, [that's what first came to my mind] I haven't driven up to Tahoe yet, so I can't say for certain, however my little 2003 Elantra made it up the hills no problem, so I'd suspect the Sonata with 200 hp will do just fine. Obviously you may have to downshift but I don't think it will be like driving a 67 VW bus over the Rockies if that's what you're worried about.

For the record, 200 hp is not shabby. To put it into perspective, an early 80's Porsche 911 SC produced just 207 HP. An early 70's Corvette came standard with 200 hp from a 5.7 liter V8. [the Sonata produces the same on half that using a 2.4 liter I4] The original BMW M3 only had 195 hp from a similar I4 which was considered to be, "one of the best 4 cylinder motors of it's time". And yes, weight is an issue, so to put that into perspective, the Sonata's curb weight is 3,316 lbs. The second generation M3 weighed about the same at 3,219 lbs. The 1970 Corvette weighed *more* than the sonata at 3,425 lbs. Or how about a 2007 Porsche 911 GT2 [which is considered a "light-weight" model] weighs in at 3175 lbs. or only 141 lbs. less than the Sonata.

OH.. and NONE of those cars other than the Sonata was capable of 35 mpg Hwy and 25 mpg City on *REGULAR* gas!

So is the SE at 200 hp and 3,316 lbs. a competent car on the hills? I'd say so.

·
Registered
650 Posts
How do Honda civics, Prius make it up hill?

A car with 200hp is plenty. With others with less like mentioned would have a bit of a problem of some type. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Guys it ain't the horsepower that makes it up the hill, it's the torque! The Sonata only gets 200 hp at 6,300 rpm and nobody drives at redline for more than a second or two. Just for the record, a late 70's Corvette might have had only 180 hp, but they had 270 ft-lbs of torque at only 2,400 rpm. That much low end torque gave the cars a lot of usable power. In comparison, the Sonata has 186 ft-lbs of torque at 4,750 rpm. At 2,400 rpm, the Sonata probably produces about half the torque of those old Vettes.

With that said, the Sonata has MORE torque than any four cylinder Camry, Accord, Fusion, Altima, or Mazda 6. That is a big deal. It also has a 6-speed transmission which can use that torque more effectively in the "comfortable" 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm range. Compared to those other cars, the Sonata will be BETTER going up hills. But common sense tells us the Sonata will not go up hills as well as those other cars if they come with their V6 option or not as well as a turbocharged car like a Subaru Legacy or a VW Passat.

oOkateOo, what are you used to driving? Please don't tell me a turbo diesel pickup truck. If you intend to tow a small boat up steep hills while carrying 5 people in the car, a full trunk and the A/C blowing hard, you may be better off with a car that offers a larger engine. But otherwise, I'm sure the Sonata will be more than fine. Like I said, it will be better than any other naturally aspirated 4-cylinder mainstream sedan. So if you happen to think the Sonata has a power problem, all those other I4 cars will be worse. The Sonata is better than all of them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lol... yeah, the car will go uphill if it has enough force to overcome gravity.

there was a post on these forms a while back about a guy saying he had some problems going uphill, but he also said that he had loaded the trunk with luggage and the car had 4 passengers.

i travel between SC and Pittsburgh, PA. that drive contains a bit of uphill/downhill driving, and i don't have any problems. I wouldn't expect to peg the speedometer going uphill, but i can still pass other cars/trucks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Jun 14 2010, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332891
Guys it ain't the horsepower that makes it up the hill, it's the torque! The Sonata only gets 200 hp at 6,300 rpm and nobody drives at redline for more than a second or two. Just for the record, a late 70's Corvette might have had only 180 hp, but they had 270 ft-lbs of torque at only 2,400 rpm. That much low end torque gave the cars a lot of usable power. In comparison, the Sonata has 186 ft-lbs of torque at 4,750 rpm. At 2,400 rpm, the Sonata probably produces about half the torque of those old Vettes.

With that said, the Sonata has MORE torque than any four cylinder Camry, Accord, Fusion, Altima, or Mazda 6. That is a big deal. It also has a 6-speed transmission which can use that torque more effectively in the "comfortable" 2,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm range. Compared to those other cars, the Sonata will be BETTER going up hills. But common sense tells us the Sonata will not go up hills as well as those other cars if they come with their V6 option or not as well as a turbocharged car like a Subaru Legacy or a VW Passat.

oOkateOo, what are you used to driving? Please don't tell me a turbo diesel pickup truck. If you intend to tow a small boat up steep hills while carrying 5 people in the car, a full trunk and the A/C blowing hard, you may be better off with a car that offers a larger engine. But otherwise, I'm sure the Sonata will be more than fine. Like I said, it will be better than any other naturally aspirated 4-cylinder mainstream sedan. So if you happen to think the Sonata has a power problem, all those other I4 cars will be worse. The Sonata is better than all of them.
Great perspective. Thanks. I'm sure that's what the OP (and myself) were most interested in learning. I did enjoy some of the wisecracks, however. All in good fun, I'm sure :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts