Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well add my name to the long list of people with waste gate problems. I was driving home from work friday evening, and was going up a hill. A big rig in front of me was going too slow, so I decided to pass him. I stepped on the gas and heard a strange noise, followed by a whining sound coming from what appeared to be the passanger side of the engine compartment. I stepped on the gas again, and heard the same noise. I pulled off the freeway, and put the vehicle in park. I pressed on the gas, and didnt hear the noise again. I tried driving again, but the vehicle seemed like it had very little power. So after doing a little research, I see alot of other people have the same issue, and it all lead to a waste gate problem. So this morning I took it to the dealer, and left it there for diagnostic. They gave me a loaner in the meantime. And after a few hours, I received the call that indeed it is the waste gate. So they ordered a new one for me, and it will be in tomorrow. They said they will also adjust the voltage on the new unit. Is there a specific voltage that people are using that works the best? Also, while it is there, are there any other TSBs I should know about? I know about the one for the steering wheel inserts, which I told them to change.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your post kinda dont make sense.. the waste gate is in integral part of the whole manifold/turbo assembly.. What exactly is the real problem found/reason for replacement of which actual part ?

As to the voltage thing, the waste gate flap just hangs loose, and the is a link on the flap' lever that goes over to what we call a wastegate actuator.. box with motor to drive the flap to control amount of boost, and as part of that motor operation we have a position sensor that uses feedback voltage to PCM as reference.. there is no choice in selecting a voltage, TSB says car come in with this DTC, we is supposed to use GDS and adjust link to show 4.0V I think it is.. That is part of program parameter.. Voltage incorrect, then we will likely have drive/performance issues.. I have seen them come iin with voltage at 4.7 - 4.8V and MIL illuminated, drive pretty crappy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your post kinda dont make sense.. the waste gate is in integral part of the whole manifold/turbo assembly.. What exactly is the real problem found/reason for replacement of which actual part ?

As to the voltage thing, the waste gate flap just hangs loose, and the is a link on the flap' lever that goes over to what we call a wastegate actuator.. box with motor to drive the flap to control amount of boost, and as part of that motor operation we have a position sensor that uses feedback voltage to PCM as reference.. there is no choice in selecting a voltage, TSB says car come in with this DTC, we is supposed to use GDS and adjust link to show 4.0V I think it is.. That is part of program parameter.. Voltage incorrect, then we will likely have drive/performance issues.. I have seen them come iin with voltage at 4.7 - 4.8V and MIL illuminated, drive pretty crappy
Sorry, but I dont know what in my statement doesnt make sense. The wastegate is stuck open, and the dealer is replacing it, instead of just adjusting the voltage first. Then they will adjust the voltage with the new wastegate in, due to the fact that there are obvious issues with the wastegates installed now and the voltage. Why it is stuck open? I have no idea, and at this point it really doesnt matter. They obviously have issues with the wastegates and I would assume that rather than have customers come back several times to adjust the voltage first, and see if that works, they would rather provide some decent customer service, and just replace the used part with a new one, and adjust the voltage then. I am no wastegate expert, or a mechanic, so that would just be my assumption.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and here we go. Now the claim is a seized turbo. Thats right, seized. And they claim it is due to low lubrication. Well, since they claim the lubrication is oil, and there was never a low oil pressure or low oil level indicator on the dash, how is it even a question on the warranty of this issue? They are waiting to hear back from Hyundai to see if they will cover this. IF???? I am giving them untill tomorrow to get back to me with their answer, because I am seriously about to lose my cool.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I work in the industry, so I get the oil changes done. I dont keep receipts, but thats not a problem to get. vehicle has 34k on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with or without oil change records, that really shouldnt matter. If their claim is turbo seized due to low lubricant, then they have to show the vehicle was indeed low on whatever lubricant they are claiming. If it is oil, then there would be a CEL stating the indicator came on at any point, which it did not. So if that is their claim, then they can easily scan the codes and see if it is stored at any time. If not, then either their claim is invalid, or the oil pressure or low oil indicator is faulty, which again would be covered under warranty, and would also be the cause of the low lubricant claim for the turbo seize. Which is exactly what I told them. In the nicest way possible, but firm.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
This is why, for $30.00, I let the dealer do the oil changes. It is all in their computer system!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Mechanical end of boost control not been of concern.. it is the actuator that is commanded by PCM and it adjustment (feed back voltage from actuator position) value that been issue, that why I ask what the actual problem part is..

Had a small run of link adjustment, then it has pretty well done and over with, had 1 myself here a few month ago, but that 1st in a long time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is why, for $30.00, I let the dealer do the oil changes. It is all in their computer system!
I have owned many different vehicles (Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Mercedes, etc) and I have never had my oil changed at the dealer. The oil was changed fairly regular though. This really is the first vehicle I have had a major engine failure. Explorer had tranny issues, out of warranty. CL500 had tons of electrical issues, also out of warranty. This vehicle is still under warranty, yet the first thing they tell me is "we are waiting to see if it is covered". They will definately not like my response if they try any ridiculous "not covered by warranty" claims, believe that. Hopefully it doesnt get to that point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what was the end result? Not sure how I feel about these Hyundai dealers. I have very little faith in them that they're doing the right thing. I had an issue with the dealer I bought my car from (used) when my high pressure fuel pump went bad and they tried to upsell me a fuel injection service, new plugs and an oil flush to the tune of $900+. Fought with the retard service advisor to not do any of the fluff work and just fix the car. Then threatened me that the pump wouldn't be covered if it failed in the future due to lack of proper maintenance. Ended up just having the pump replaced under warranty, reported the dealership to Hyundai corporate and ran as fast as **** away from them!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what was the end result? Not sure how I feel about these Hyundai dealers. I have very little faith in them that they're doing the right thing. I had an issue with the dealer I bought my car from (used) when my high pressure fuel pump went bad and they tried to upsell me a fuel injection service, new plugs and an oil flush to the tune of $900+. Fought with the retard service advisor to not do any of the fluff work and just fix the car. Then threatened me that the pump wouldn't be covered if it failed in the future due to lack of proper maintenance. Ended up just having the pump replaced under warranty, reported the dealership to Hyundai corporate and ran as fast as **** away from them!!!
Well long story long, because it gets worse, trust me. They first claimed the turbo blew due to low lubrication. I stated there was never low lubrication (oil) in the vehicle. Then they said it was due to the oil inlet to the turbo was clogged. They took pictures and sure enough, it was dirty. But not clogged, as they claimed. So I argued that the oil changes were done, so how could it be the turbo was starved for lubrication? No solid answers. So they said I can just drive the vehicle with no working turbo, while I deal with hyundai to get it covered. So I did. And 2 days later, a bearing blew in the motor, a valve gasket blew on the turbo, smoke everywhere, all at the same time. Towed back, again, this is 2 days after they said it was "ok" to drive as is. I explained what happened, and they said they wanted me to fix the turbo FIRST, then they will see whats wrong with the motor. I INSISTED otherwise, and I said ok, fine. If you want me to pay for the turbo first, then I want you to drop the oil pan to see whats in the oil. At first they declined, and I said I will pay for it myself. Then ofcourse they said ok. Oil pan dropped, and gold color and metal in the pan. Just as I expected. Funny how they didnt want to check that first, and wanted me to fix the turbo right away. Now, Hyundai has given authorization to replace the short block, but still doesnt want to warranty the turbo. Funny how the turbo oil inlet has a dirty screen, with the same material that was in the oil pan, which would be the cause of the low lubrication, or starvation, of the turbo. But yet, still not covering it under warranty. At this point, both the turbo and short block has been ordered as of today. I will come out of pocket for the turbo, and then take them to court to recover the costs. Let the attorneys hash it out, while Puente Hills Hyundai gets the black mark for providing a horrible customer experience. Not to mention the publics view of how this dealership and Hyundai has handled this. They seem to forget that the company I work for has bought 4 vehicles from this dealership last year. How many do you think we will buy again?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow, what an awful story. I hope you get every penny that Hyundai owes you for the turbo. If they cover the motor they should cover the turbo. I would file a claim with the Better Business Bureau as well.

I think we handle these matters very similarly. I am just like you, up front, to the point, this is what needs to be done and you're going to fix it. People like to say I'm too harsh when it comes to dealerships but I've learned if you aren't they will walk all over you. I hope I never have to deal with any of these issues but if I do it sounds like a fight. Wish I did my research about these warranty issues before I bought my Sonata.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, what an awful story. I hope you get every penny that Hyundai owes you for the turbo. If they cover the motor they should cover the turbo. I would file a claim with the Better Business Bureau as well.

I think we handle these matters very similarly. I am just like you, up front, to the point, this is what needs to be done and you're going to fix it. People like to say I'm too harsh when it comes to dealerships but I've learned if you aren't they will walk all over you. I hope I never have to deal with any of these issues but if I do it sounds like a fight. Wish I did my research about these warranty issues before I bought my Sonata.
BBB is a joke. They really dont do anything. But it does give the public some information about a particular business. Consumer Affairs, the Attorney General, ACP, those are the places i will be giving all the information to. Along with massive twitter and Facebook blasts. As I said, public perception is going to be their downfall. The dealer should have just accepted the Turbo claim themselves, and dealt with Hyundai to get reimbursed. Even if they didnt get reimbursed, a $800 or so cost for them to replace the turbo, is a really small amount compared to what they will lose when I am done. I warned them what was coming, but they wouldnt listen. Im sure the GM is not going to be happy once she finds out how everything transpired, and the fact that they could have made a customer happy, and received return and referal business. Which at this point, if they dont cover it, they will not. I can be their best advocate, or their worst detractor. The ball is in their court now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you have a chance to speak with the General Manager or president of the the dealership?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trust me...that turbo issue he is experiencing is a particular dealer exclusive jacking.
do you have experience dealing with this "particular" dealership? Keep in mind, the dealer just wants to get paid, so it is in their best interest to get Hyundai to warranty the part. They wont get paid as much, but they still get paid. The "decision" was up to the DM, who is the Hyundai rep. My issue isnt just with the dealer, its the way they handled this whole situation. Again, I have a feeling the GM of the dealership has no idea what is going on yet, but she will soon enough. The warranty issue is solely on Hyundai. The dealer could, and should, have just handled the situation, and dealt with Hyundai corp seperate. I worked for a dealership in the parts department, and I have seen situations like this before. Bottom line, never make the consumer the one that needs to fight with the manufacturer. Take the initial loss (which you will claim as a loss during tax time, and it will be a deductible anyways, so they wouldnt lose a dime) and keep the customer coming back for more sellable services. Business 101. Dealerships seem to have forgetten that customer satisfaction leads to customer loyalty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you have a chance to speak with the General Manager or president of the the dealership?
Waiting for a meeting with GM. The owner of my company knows the owner of that dealership too. Dont want to get my owner involved, because it has nothing to do with them. Even though they know exactly whats going on, and they purchased 4 vehicles from this dealership last year. They do want to see how it is handled, because they dont want to have to deal with them for any issues also. So this dealership could lose not just me as a customer, but others as well. And thats before I start going public with this whole situation. They called me "picky" lol. They have no idea how picky and tenacious I can be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
More power to you jayosee! While most people would have thrown in the towel, you keep on fighting. Love to see that. Hopefully the GM will correct the mistakes of the dealership and have them make it right. An apology from the GM, service adviser and any other people you were involved with is in order plus a free loaner car for however long it takes to fix the turbo. On top of that they should give you something for your trouble but good luck with that.

I still can't believe they said it was okay to drive the car without the turbo working. Everyone should know that when a turbo breaks/malfunctions it effects the engine as well. A lot of those grease monkeys are idiots and service advisers seem to hop from dealership to dealership. Completely unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts