Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had to happen. Alas, it happened far sooner than I had. Less than 2 months after I brought our brand new Indigo Night Elantra home, my wife had a misunderstanding with a parking garage pillar. We now have some very big, conspicuous, white scratches above a rear wheel well. On a car with this color, it really stands out. Have any of you had any experience with paint scratch repair kits? Any tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Chances are, doing a tango with a parking garage pillar will require a repaint of the area to fix completely. I had an issue where some punk walked up the street I used to live on in PA and keyed all the cars on the block. Luckily he was a lazy SOB and didn't dig too deep and I was able to use Turtle Wax premium rubbing compound, microfiber rags and a lot of elbow grease to get it where there was only a small spot where you could tell the car was scratched (that was my black '06 Sonata). So while a rubbing compound might help some of the areas on your car, I would doubt it would fix the issue.

In this case, pictures are priceless to let people see the extent of the damage to offer insightful advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here's a picture of the damage. On closer inspection, it's possible that the scratches did not go beyond the clear coat. I wonder if a rubbing or polishing compound would do the trick, at least to the point where it's no longer conspicuous.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

Some light polishing compound might reduce the white lines, but the only way to make it look new again is to repaint. Personally, I'd polish it and then consider living with the results until you've got a real reason to visit the body shop.

·
6,836 Posts
Ow! My E was Indigo also, and a light blue Toyota Highlander hit its bumper and left a mark. Although there were a few deeper scratches, it was low enough on the bumper that a professional buffer got most of it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I'd follow up with my paint scratch story. Before going with a polishing compound, I thought I'd try something less drastic. I got some Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor from my hardware store and gave it a try. I followed up with Zymol cleaner wax. The result is as you see in the attached picture. Contrast with the picture I posted earlier.

I think I can call myself lucky in that while the damage looked pretty bad at first glance, most of the scratches seem limited to the clear coat. I don't think anything went beyond the base coat. I realize that the stuff I tried is minimally abrasive and would not be able to remove any significant scratches. What Scratch Doctor could do was smooth over the scuffing on the clear coat, making it clear again. That made a huge difference in my case.

I might try something else some day, but the damage is now much less visible. I can live with this for now.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts