Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachmentid=188][attachmentid=187]Just picked up myself a little 93' Scoupe turbo and it seems to be a pretty cool little car! Running great but I do have a few questions. Very hard to find information on tuning this car. Any suggestions as to where I can find info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello there there is not a lot out there for the s coupe in the way of tuning parts
as i am in the proses of puting a two ltr 16 vale engine in myown car with turbo
and nitrous as turbo like nos as i am putting 50 bhp throw my own 15 coupe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd also like to know where to get some info..

Aswell, what type and size turbo she has on... Im looking into buying a bigger turbo with intercooler and all the goodies - as far as I can see a bigger turbo will be a straight bolt-on - but how much can that engine take??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Scoupe@Sep 9 2004, 04:34 AM
Just picked up myself a little 93' Scoupe turbo and it seems to be a pretty cool little car! Running great but I do have a few questions. Very hard to find information on tuning this car. Any suggestions as to where I can find info would be greatly appreciated.
[snapback]1100[/snapback]​

you can buy a mitsubishi colt or lancer GTI engine
it fits pretty well

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by rob1@Oct 26 2004, 07:57 PM
you can buy a mitsubishi colt or lancer GTI engine
it fits pretty well
[snapback]2039[/snapback]​

Whoa!......There is a lot of mis-information about!!!.

First & formost there are TWO distinct S-Coupe`s......The Mk.I car (up to & including `92) & the Mk.II (`93 to `95).
Only the Mk.II was available turbocharged.....with the Garrett T15.

The Mk.I car has a Mitsubishi engine (tranny on left as you face it) & ONLY this car can take other Mitsu. engines!.

The Mk. II car has Hyundai`s own in-house designed Alpha I engine....tranny on right.
The later `95 models featured modern distributor-less ignition with twin wasted-spark coil packs.

Any T2 Series Garrett turbocharger (T20/T25/T28) will bolt up & replace the turbo on the S-Coupe Turbo model, BUT, because of the flange & internal porting, it MUST have a stock Garrett flange OR be ex-Nissan............Mitsu/DSM flanges are NOT suitable & WON`T fit!.

Cheers,
Nick.

(Mods. please feel free to pin this post, as I know from experience the above will answer questions which are asked over & over again!). :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Valkyrie,

Where can I get a Strut tower brace like the one you have on your 1995 scoupe? I own a

My specs are:

1994 Scoupe Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
Atmosphere Blow off valve
Manual boost controller
K&N intake filter
Upgraded Turbo to T3 (.42 Compressor / .48A.R)
Removed Catalytic Converter
Free flow exhaust muffler
Greddy Turbo Timer
Spectrum Air/Fuel meter
Boost/Vacuum Gauge
Turbosmart Fuel cut defender
Spike Positive Ground Voltage Stabilizer
Upgraded Fuel Pump (Walbro 255lph)
MSD 6A Ignition with Tach/Fuel adapter #8910EIS
8mm BLUE Magnecore plug wires
MSD Blaster 2 Coil #8202

Future Mods are:
NOS
MSD Boost retard unit
MSD Launch/Rev control
STRUT TOWER BRACE

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hey Collis!..........I sent you a personal message about this.

By the way, how have you managed to increase your fuelling to cope with the bigger turbo & increased boost?........I see no mention of larger injectors, SAFC or even a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator, all of which I would have expected to see in a set-up such as you describe.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Nick,

Yes I have an adjustable fuel regulator with guage (Forgot to mention in list) and four(4) Ford Mustang 24lb injectors (High Impedence)

Any ideas where I can get a chip(eprom) to manage my air/fuel/boost cut at a very reasonable price?

Collis

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi again Collis!.

The only chips for our car which are commercially available are those by Superchips & the Australian Powerchips company.
Unfortunately both these are pre-mapped with data to produce a power gain on a standard car with the stock turbo.......so would be disastrous on your setup.

The only equipment which can meet your requirements are piggy-back & stand-alone computers, which are expensive & require expert tuning on a rolling road.

Cheers,
Nick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Valrykie,

Are you using any chip modification in your Scoupe ECU or standalone unit? Are you able to raise your boost limit without fuel cutting?.

I recently purchased a manual Turbosmart Fuel cut defender. I installed it inline to the vacuum line going into the ECU. It doesn't seem to work on that line. It still fuel cuts once boost go above 10psi. Do you suppose that it will work on the map sensor on the firewall that controlls the lights? Have you tried anything to increase your boost and succeeded?

Let me know I'm pretty eager to run 14psi or more.

Collis

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I`m running 12 p.s.i. exactly, using a manual boost controller (bleed valve) in the line from the turbo`s nozzle to the Amal valve under the battery & NO ELECTRONICS!.

To go to 14 p.s.i.+ you will need to insert a second bleed valve into the line to the ECU, opened to stop that device seeing more than the 12 p.s.i. spike which drops it into limp mode.

I`ve not been over the 12 p.s.i. due to the fact that with 94K miles & still the original internals & clutch, I feel I`ve pushed my luck far enough!.

Cheers,
Nick. :57:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I`m running 12 p.s.i. exactly, using a manual boost controller (bleed valve) in the line from the turbo`s nozzle to the Amal valve under the battery & NO ELECTRONICS!.

Nick,

Can you please post some pics of the connections for the bleedvalve? And what kind of bleedvalve did you use for it? I suppose you know a lot about this, please share your knowledge with us... It's easier to demolish things than to fix it... :blush:

Thanx! :grin:

Grtz,

Nick

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi!.......here is a link to a large pic. of my engine bay :-
My Webpage
I think that image is too big!.......try this one :-

You can clearly see my Forge manual boost controller strapped to the main cold air feed to the air filter.
It is inserted into the pressure-line which leads from the nipple on the output nozzle of the turbo to the wastegate control solenoid under the battery.
The 3rd. line you see disappearing under the brake fluid reservoir just carries away the bled-off boost.......I fitted a one way valve from a fish-tank system to it`s end.

When you increase the boost, you also need to increase the fuelling.......I use an FSE Boost Valve (Malpassi adjustable fuel pressure regulator) to achieve this; upping the boost a little at a time, adding a little fuel pressure & then test-driving hard, before removing the spark plugs to check the mixture is O.K. (no lighter or darker than a medium tan colour)......this is quite a long process!.

I would limit boost increase to 12 p.s.i. as the ECU is programmed to go into `limp mode` if it sees more than this.
I suppose you COULD put a second bleed valve into the line to the ECU & go higher than the limit, but then you would need bigger injectors & maybe even a SAFC II piggy-back computer (or similar) to control the fuelling.......our cars are getting old, so I wouldn`t do this!.

I hope this helped!
Nick. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nick,

Thanks! A great help! Yesterday I tried to find it in the Shop Manual taken from WebTech and found out where the solenoid valve is located and what it looks like. I allready use the nozzle on the turbo for a boost gauge, but I will install that one on a different location later, probably on the intake manifold, so I can also measure the vacuum pressure as well.

I've allready installed an AFR-meter to check if the Air-fuel-ratio is doing ok. I only have to connect it to the ecu, but haven't found the time for it to do it... Maybe later. A friend of mine told me that it's quite dangerous to tune a turbocharged car without an AFR-meter, because when the mixture is wrong, you can damage something before you know it... And that's what we really don't want to happen :crying:

Maybe in a month of 2 I will get the right equipment for all this and will see what can be done, first thing to be done is 4 new tires, fix an intercooler and the piping for it (stainless steel) and get an closed-looped BOV installed. After all this I will be thinking about raising the boost... Perhaps I'll leave it running 0.5 bar (around 7.25 PSI) and keep it all within safe values... Afterall, it's still my car for daily drive, not just for local sprint-competitions...

Thanks foor the info and I'll let you know when some mods have been done!

Grtz,

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts