Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from Finland, and IMO the quality of winter tire testing in North American media is poorer than in Scandinavia. In particular Finnish Tekniikan Maailma goes to crazy lengths in testing both studded and studless tires. Unfortunately the results are only available in Finnish as far as I have seen.

Anyways, I found this site that summarizes variety if Scandinavian winter tire test results:
2013 Talvirengastestit (Nastarenkaat ja kitkarenkaat) - Autohullut.fi

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Didn't Hakkapeliitta invent the snow tire?

Extra cost of good tires maybe hard to convince people, crazy amount of salt being dumped up here makes them not quite as necessary; although I always use them.
I wish they would skip the salt which will make cars last longer ; then people can afford snow tires because of the longer car life span.

Studs are banned I believe in all of Canada for quite a few years now ; Quebec is the only province/state with mandatory snow tire use. Some Ontario insurance companies give a 10% discount for snow tire use.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iin Finland winter tires are mandatory for 3-4 months starting late November. We also still allow studded winter tires, since Finns do not like to use road salt pretty much at all (thus protecting ground water). Roughly 70% of drivers use studded tires, and the rest use studless winter tires (called 'friction tires' in Finland). You can survive on unsalted roads w/ studless tires even on very icy conditions thanks to vehicles w/ studded tires grinding the ice and allowing some traction even for plain rubber.

Since everyone has winter tires, the concept of all-seasons is unknown. Everyone has real summer tires for the warmer months. So no compromises winter or summer :)

Studded tires are indeed noisier, and grind the road surface causing grooves and thus increased risk of hydroplaning during the summer time. And increased road maintenance costs. There is also increased fine dust polution in the air. Studded tires do not necessarily work any better at all on snow but do give additional traction on extremely slippery fresh ice (e.g. black ice etc). On the other and they do not do miracles, that is, under the conditions where the studs help, it is very slippery even with studs (since we are not talking about rally style spiked tires which are illegal on public roads everywhere).

My preference is to go w/ studless tires, they are a very good balance of traction, comfort and noise.

Regarding cost, my take is that if one keeps the vehicle for e.g. 80k miles, i.e. for two rounds of tires, the additional cost of getting summer and winter tires vs two rounds of summer tires is pretty marginal and definitely worth the money. We are talking about a few hundred bucks max, over those 80k miles...

·
22,793 Posts
It may be Swedish, but we can recognize those brands in any language. Seeing a lot of Bridgestone Blizzak's at, or near, the top of that last survey. Nice analysis on the tires, effects on roads, etc., Seppo. I had never considered the poor handling properties of studded tires on a wet summer surface. And the two tire set versus the one set analogy will certainly be useful for those trying to decide which path to take. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
It may be Swedish, but we can recognize those brands in any language. Seeing a lot of Bridgestone Blizzak's at, or near, the top of that last survey. Nice analysis on the tires, effects on roads, etc., Seppo. I had never considered the poor handling properties of studded tires on a wet summer surface. And the two tire set versus the one set analogy will certainly be useful for those trying to decide which path to take. :thumbsup:
My bud who lives in Satlila Sweden sent me the link, The Bridgestones are highly rated there.
I had Kumho studed KW 19's on my 11 Accent, I could climb a mountain with that thing.
She was a lil life saver, came across a Dodge Ram upside down in ditch one icy day and kept the family warm till paramedics came.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Didn't Hakkapeliitta invent the snow tire?

Extra cost of good tires maybe hard to convince people, crazy amount of salt being dumped up here makes them not quite as necessary; although I always use them.
I wish they would skip the salt which will make cars last longer ; then people can afford snow tires because of the longer car life span.

Studs are banned I believe in all of Canada for quite a few years now ; Quebec is the only province/state with mandatory snow tire use. Some Ontario insurance companies give a 10% discount for snow tire use.
Yes Nokia (Nokian) did

1 - 9 of 9 Posts