Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but I searched and couldn’t find it anywhere. I had a 2011 Sonata SE then a 14 Limited before switching to Audi after failed attempts to secure a good deal on a 2017. Now I’m wanting to go back to Hyundai and of course I’m interested in the sonata. Back when I got my 2011 and 2014 there were lots of helpful threads where people posted how much they saved off sticker or what type of deal they got. This was extremely helpful. It even helped when I bought my Ram 1500 limited for 16k off sticker. I’m trying to find a current thread that discusses deals that people got. anyone know where I need to look? Or maybe this can be the start of one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if that sort of thread exists yet, but I like the idea! I bought my 2020 SEL with Convenience + Premium packages for 27K OTD in Jan 2020 (Northern Virginia). I did a lot of my negotiations through emails and didn't step foot in a dealership until I was ready to buy. I "settled" for this Sonata because they gave me a deal on it (had a different color interior than what I was wanting, and when I was trying to hang up, the dealer gave me that price.)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
2020 limited, 21878 otd, but that included trade in, rebates, and cash. 0%, no payments 90 days. trade in was 2016 elantra with hail damage. i thought i got a great deal. the more i drive the car, the better the deal gets

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much before your trade? Trying to get an idea of what I should be able to get off sticker.

·
Registered
193 Posts
how much before your trade? Trying to get an idea of what I should be able to get off sticker.
This kind of thing is pretty region specific, timing throughout the year matters and availability of a particular trim might influence the deal as well. My deal a few months ago wouldn't be a good data point. New car inventory is impacted pretty heavily due to the ship shortage, some lots are pretty bare at some dealers. I believe Hyundai was on top of the supply chain and hasn't had as big of an issue but worth keeping in mind. If you are trading in, you should be trying to aim on the high end or higher than book value, used car prices are still pretty high. In the Boston area, I think I have 8 dealers within 50 miles of my house and some of them post some pretty great deals, others leave it online as MSRP. Might be worth finding a good dealer discount within some radius of your house and then use that to negotiate at a more convenient dealer, or just buy where ever and service closer to home if that works better for you.

For instance, if I travel to one dealer in Rhode Island, within 50 miles of my house, here are the current approximate deals. I used the numbers from this dealer to buy from one in NH when I purchased. At the time, they had less money off on the N Line, dealers wouldn't let me go for $3k off but I still ended up with a better discount at the other dealer with little negotiation needed by quoting the other dealer number.
For 2021 models:
SEL Plus - $2,700 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate
N Line - $2,800 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate
Limited - $ 2,900 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate

Always look for fine print that might say the money off includes some portion of money from your trade or some other BS, some states have laws against this, others don't, it should be disclosed though. I saw some advertised prices from Maryland or some other mid-Atlantic states that were very aggressive but the fine print allowed them to include some crazy assumptions. Those deals wouldn't have been usable for me to negotiate, being in another region, but the info is free and easy to find online. Just read carefully.

I am guessing there might be more off, Hyundai usually has multiple rebates available. Even if they don't allow the better financing (assuming you might be financing), go with the higher standard rate then refinance once you get your account info. I was given a lousy upper 3% rate and refi'd for half the rate before the first payment, no penalties if they are going through Hyundai Motor Finance. Allowed me to qualify for more money off, then lower my rate right after and an easy transaction since I was dealing with the dealer in house finance folks without dealing with another bank, making things go quickly. Re-fi'd in only a few emails and one or two quick phone calls with AAA to work with a local credit union, painless except the small fee to join AAA to take advantage of the offer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This kind of thing is pretty region specific, timing throughout the year matters and availability of a particular trim might influence the deal as well. My deal a few months ago wouldn't be a good data point. New car inventory is impacted pretty heavily due to the ship shortage, some lots are pretty bare at some dealers. I believe Hyundai was on top of the supply chain and hasn't had as big of an issue but worth keeping in mind. If you are trading in, you should be trying to aim on the high end or higher than book value, used car prices are still pretty high. In the Boston area, I think I have 8 dealers within 50 miles of my house and some of them post some pretty great deals, others leave it online as MSRP. Might be worth finding a good dealer discount within some radius of your house and then use that to negotiate at a more convenient dealer, or just buy where ever and service closer to home if that works better for you.

For instance, if I travel to one dealer in Rhode Island, within 50 miles of my house, here are the current approximate deals. I used the numbers from this dealer to buy from one in NH when I purchased. At the time, they had less money off on the N Line, dealers wouldn't let me go for $3k off but I still ended up with a better discount at the other dealer with little negotiation needed by quoting the other dealer number.
For 2021 models:
SEL Plus - $2,700 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate
N Line - $2,800 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate
Limited - $ 2,900 off, plus $2k Hyundai rebate

Always look for fine print that might say the money off includes some portion of money from your trade or some other BS, some states have laws against this, others don't, it should be disclosed though. I saw some advertised prices from Maryland or some other mid-Atlantic states that were very aggressive but the fine print allowed them to include some crazy assumptions. Those deals wouldn't have been usable for me to negotiate, being in another region, but the info is free and easy to find online. Just read carefully.

I am guessing there might be more off, Hyundai usually has multiple rebates available. Even if they don't allow the better financing (assuming you might be financing), go with the higher standard rate then refinance once you get your account info. I was given a lousy upper 3% rate and refi'd for half the rate before the first payment, no penalties if they are going through Hyundai Motor Finance. Allowed me to qualify for more money off, then lower my rate right after and an easy transaction since I was dealing with the dealer in house finance folks without dealing with another bank, making things go quickly. Re-fi'd in only a few emails and one or two quick phone calls with AAA to work with a local credit union, painless except the small fee to join AAA to take advantage of the offer.
Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have an idea what I should aim for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got a new N Line in south fla. Our credit union uses autoadvisors to take the hassle out of dealing with the dealer and he shopped my trade in around to different dealers and wholesalers. My price before the $2,000 rebate and tax tag and title was $32,960. It was an easy process, I called him Friday afternoon after the loan was approved, he found the car and a buyer for my trade in, we electronically signed the loan so they would ship the car, and on Saturday they shipped the car to the credit union where we signed the car paperwork and swapped cars. Other than taking the test drive the week before I did not have to step into a car lot. The test drive was bad enough. I made an appt and someone else was driving the car and thinking of buying it so I had to come back the next day, and then I had a week of calls and texts until I told them I bought a car somewhere else, I wanted to keep my options open since I had never used the autoadvisors before. I might have been able to get a deal close to what he did if I contacted all 6 or 7 dealers within 100 miles, the one he got the best deal was the one 100 miles away. Given my old sonata was 11 years old with about 155k on it it would have taken a lot of effort on my part to get the price he did for it.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
30 Posts
New 2021 Sonata limited with 20 miles on it (0 owners of course). Got 9K off sticker price with a finance promo.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata; 2009 Audi A6 Condor Grey
101 Posts
New 2021 Sonata limited with 20 miles on it (0 owners of course). Got 9K off sticker price with a finance promo.
That's an insane deal...what area of the country did you get such a deal??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2020 SEL with convenience with 5k miles (was a dealer loaner but sold to me as new). Got it for $22,290 before TTL with $1000 rebate and 0% APR. MSRP was $27,835

1 - 13 of 13 Posts