Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
109 Posts
The review is so biased and so far off the mark that it is a joke. It didn't matter how good the car was or wasn't... Jack was going to give it that shitty review either way. It's not just two guys on the internet either.. they have almost half a million subscribers. When you not only own one, but read (and agree with) almost every publication saying things like this about it; it's pretty hard to not think "wtf"..

"On the whole, the Sonata N Line is truly excellent. In fact, the result of all the work Hyundai and its N Line team did is so impressive that anything less than a BMW M3 or Audi RS5 would have the devil's own job of shaking you loose on a twisty bit of back road. You can't say that about a Camry TRD." - Motor Trend

"The Sonata N Line technically competes with cars like the Toyota Camry TRD and turbocharged Honda Accord and Mazda6, but it's way better to drive. You're getting a car that's closer to Acura TLX and BMW 3 Series levels of enjoyment, and those cars cost a whole lot more. No, the N Line isn't perfect, but it punches way above its weight and has all of the standard Sonata's great infotainment and safety tech, to boot. This Hyundai might not immediately come to mind as a solid sport sedan, but trust me, you should drive one. It might surprise you." - CNET

"In terms of the suspension's behavior, it's easier to talk about what it doesn't do than what it does. Run it hard through the curves and there's no wallow, no float, no skipping around on mid-corner bumps. The steering is lovely, well-weighted, and precise. The 2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line turns-in smoothly and stays planted when put to the test, exhibiting excellent stability, and that's all the more remarkable when you consider how comfortable and unflappable the ride is.... Now that I've driven a Hyundai sedan that can legitimately run with BMWs, I think I really have seen everything." - Automobile Mag
It is subjective. I cannot personally speak on the N Line, I do not doubt that it is well tuned and fun to drive speed, but during a launch it seems to kinda fall on its face. Those are reasonable grounds to dislike a car.
I understand being upset by it, they were not friendly to the N Line whatsoever. I can't agree with how they were ragging on it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The review is so biased and so far off the mark that it is a joke. It didn't matter how good the car was or wasn't... Jack was going to give it that shitty review either way. It's not just two guys on the internet either.. they have almost half a million subscribers. When you not only own one, but read (and agree with) almost every publication saying things like this about it; it's pretty hard to not think "wtf"..

"On the whole, the Sonata N Line is truly excellent. In fact, the result of all the work Hyundai and its N Line team did is so impressive that anything less than a BMW M3 or Audi RS5 would have the devil's own job of shaking you loose on a twisty bit of back road. You can't say that about a Camry TRD." - Motor Trend

"The Sonata N Line technically competes with cars like the Toyota Camry TRD and turbocharged Honda Accord and Mazda6, but it's way better to drive. You're getting a car that's closer to Acura TLX and BMW 3 Series levels of enjoyment, and those cars cost a whole lot more. No, the N Line isn't perfect, but it punches way above its weight and has all of the standard Sonata's great infotainment and safety tech, to boot. This Hyundai might not immediately come to mind as a solid sport sedan, but trust me, you should drive one. It might surprise you." - CNET

"In terms of the suspension's behavior, it's easier to talk about what it doesn't do than what it does. Run it hard through the curves and there's no wallow, no float, no skipping around on mid-corner bumps. The steering is lovely, well-weighted, and precise. The 2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line turns-in smoothly and stays planted when put to the test, exhibiting excellent stability, and that's all the more remarkable when you consider how comfortable and unflappable the ride is.... Now that I've driven a Hyundai sedan that can legitimately run with BMWs, I think I really have seen everything." - Automobile Mag
I like the European tests. They take the N and N-line to Nurburgring, Autobahn and track. I still cannot find the Sonata N doing 270 km/h (168 mph) on Autobahn, that YouTube video was removed. The i30 N (US Elantra N) did go 270 km/h (168 mph) topping out it’s ZR tire rating, Britsh reviewer took it from London to Nurburgring Germany.

·
Registered
713 Posts

We need to thank Albert Biermann, Former Director of BMW M, and Lotus of UK for tuning the suspension and engine on the new Hyundai N and N-lines. Also all the hard working Korean Engineers and USA Engineers for making strong cars. Winning 20+ “Top Safety Picks” and 4 “Top Safety Pick +” awards from IIHS and Winning so many JD Powers Awords for initial 3 year quality/reliabilty survey with so many models.

Safe, reliable and fast. Comfortable, High Gas Mileage, great electronics, etc...

Watch YouTube Supercar Blondie review a Hyundia Azera, 1.3 million views. She reviews exotics and ultra-luxury cars, and found the Azera amazing value with huge amount of tech she liked. Watch Sarah in Tune test the Veloster N and Sonata N-Line.

Hyundai should let Supercar Blondie review the Gv90 and G90!

·
Registered
366 Posts
It is subjective. I cannot personally speak on the N Line, I do not doubt that it is well tuned and fun to drive speed, but during a launch it seems to kinda fall on its face. Those are reasonable grounds to dislike a car.
I understand being upset by it, they were not friendly to the N Line whatsoever. I can't agree with how they were ragging on it.
Unless you’re a regular at the track on the weekends, how important is launching the car? For me it’s more about available power when I need it.

That being said, the car can be launched correctly, it just takes a skilled driver. As has been stated several times in various threads, the driver for Car and Driver was able to clock a 0-60 time of 5 seconds flat.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
84 Posts
FYI, that is a very uncharacteristic review for SavageGeese. IMO, they’re the best car review YouTube channel. This is the first one I’ve seen that was really over the top and in need of retraction. I watched their live stream after this review and the main guy (bald guy) was telling his partner he really disagreed with him and is going to have a difficult time justifying the rant to his Hyundai rep. The lack of LSD is a fair criticism. As is the Sonata’s difficulty putting down power in a turn. But it seems like Jack was being very hyperbolic about its suspension changes effects. It was unreasonable to expect sports car performance and handling from a $33k family sedan with boosted power.

Their review of the regular Sonata was excellent and fair:

Skip to 11:05 for driving characteristics.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata; 2009 Audi A6 Condor Grey
91 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
FYI, that is a very uncharacteristic review for SavageGeese. IMO, they’re the best car review YouTube channel. This is the first one I’ve seen that was really over the top and in need of retraction. I watched their live stream after this review and the main guy (bald guy) was telling his partner he really disagreed with him and is going to have a difficult time justifying the rant to his Hyundai rep. The lack of LSD is a fair criticism. As is the Sonata’s difficulty putting down power in a turn. But it seems like Jack was being very hyperbolic about its suspension changes effects. It was unreasonable to expect sports car performance and handling from a $33k family sedan with boosted power
I have to agree...Jack Singapore (the other guy) was a little over the top, and Jack actually is half Asian (Korean to be exact). Maybe everyone should bother Mark S (Mr Goose) to bring back Turbowski

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only thing shitty about the Tuscon N-line is that's it's NOT getting any of the engine or performance enhancements which, to me, totally defeats the entire purpose of the line.

I was so looking forward to the N line coming the US. I was literally going to buy one until I found out all it's getting is the styling enhancements. Very disappointed. I'll be spending my money elsewhere now.

Seriously, this is the United States of America - we invented muscle. Why would you give it to the rest of the world and not us?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only thing shitty about the n-line is that's it's NOT getting any of the engine or performance enhancements which, to me, totally defeats the entire purpose of the line.

I was so looking forward to the N line coming the US. I was literally going to buy one until I found out all it's getting is the styling enhancements. Very disappointed.
What are you talking about only style enhancements? It has a whole new more powerful engine from all the other sonatas in the lineup.......

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only thing shitty about the Tuscon N-line is that's it's NOT getting any of the engine or performance enhancements which, to me, totally defeats the entire purpose of the line.

I was so looking forward to the N line coming the US. I was literally going to buy one until I found out all it's getting is the styling enhancements. Very disappointed. I'll be spending my money elsewhere now.

Seriously, this is the United States of America - we invented muscle. Why would you give it to the rest of the world and not us?
You’re way off. The Sonata N line has the most powerful engine available in any Hyundai model. It is faster than any Hyundai car in the line up including some of the full N cars. It has a better 1/4 time than the 2021 Veloster N. It’s the other N Line cars that only get style changes and minor handling improvements.

Go test drive one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Post in the wrong thread/section? If you meant Tucson, you’re absolutely right, this has been my argument for a while now. The Sonata N Line is in its own class. It’s much different than any other N Line trim since it has performance tuned handling, and power to go along with the exterior enhancements. It fits in between full N Cars and Tucson and Elantra N Lines, which are a big disappointment performance wise. It’s really not far off from a Veloster N and has been clocked faster in the 1/4 like I mentioned.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2011 Sonata GLS
51 Posts
I think the Sonata N-line is an outlier in the 'N' family. N-lines are usually just appearance upgrades, maybe a very mild improvement in performance, while the full on N's are track ready beasts. The Sonata, being a 4-door family sedan, doesn't lend itself to the track ready configuration. Just like we will never see a Palisade N. That being said, the Sonata N-line is much closer to a full on N than an N-line. Further upgraded brakes, cooling and differential would put it squarely in the N camp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You’re way off. The Sonata N line has the most powerful engine available in any Hyundai model. It is faster than any Hyundai car in the line up including some of the full N cars. It has a better 1/4 time than the 2021 Veloster N. It’s the other N Line cars that only get style changes and minor handling improvements.

Go test drive one.
Post in the wrong thread/section? If you meant Tucson, you’re absolutely right, this has been my argument for a while now. The Sonata N Line is in its own class. It’s much different than any other N Line trim since it has performance tuned handling, and power to go along with the exterior enhancements. It fits in between full N Cars and Tucson and Elantra N Lines, which are a big disappointment performance wise. It’s really not far off from a Veloster N and has been clocked faster in the 1/4 like I mentioned.
Yep, I was talking about the Tuscon N, not the Sonata. This topic title just mentions the N-Line, nothing about the Sonata. That's what I was going off of.

So, my bad.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think the Sonata N-line is an outlier in the 'N' family. N-lines are usually just appearance upgrades, maybe a very mild improvement in performance, while the full on N's are track ready beasts. The Sonata, being a 4-door family sedan, doesn't lend itself to the track ready configuration. Just like we will never see a Palisade N. That being said, the Sonata N-line is much closer to a full on N than an N-line. Further upgraded brakes, cooling and differential would put it squarely in the N camp.
Amen! It does have oversized brakes actually. The rotors are pretty big. The full N cars don’t have fancy multi piston brake setups, Hyundai cheaped out on them and went with an inhouse brake design which surprises me.

Hate to repeat myself but it’s an LSD, adjustable/configurable suspension and valved exhaust short of a being a full N, that’s it. The performance/HP is higher in the Sonata N Line compared to any N car. You can’t say that about a BMW M versus a BMW M Sport which are just appearance upgrades. Now that I’ve discovered a way to use the full power and gear shifting in Sport + power with ESC, I’m even more convinced it’s even closer to an N. The Sonata N Line, if you know how to put the power down, is beastly.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts