Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
69 Posts
Watch YouTube Throttle House compare “2021 Acura TLX vs Honda Accord 2.0 T vs Hyundai Sonata N Line”. MM Automotive “Autobahn 270 km/h (170 mph) Hyundai i30 N meets BMW M3”. YUNKI Ride, “2021 Hyundai Sonata N-line Driving on race track”

The Sonata N Line was designed by Germany’s Former Director of BMW M and suspension tuned by Lotus of UK, for neutral high speed handling. It was not designed for drag racing launches. The Sonata N-line is so aerodynamically slippery and balanced, it only require 15 hp to sustain 60 mph (100 km/h). and get over 30 mpg and can take Nurburgring high speed corners at great speeds in confidence.

The Sonata N-line is not quick of the line, but with a rolling start it will run away from Acura, Honda Turbos, BMW’s, etc... The Sonata N-Line was clocked at over 250 km/h (155 mph) on the Autobahn. The i30 N and Sonata N have been clocked at over 270 km/h (168 mph)!
I think there was actually a problem with the preproduction model that they tested against the accord and Acura. This is from car and driver...

“After some investigating by Hyundai, they discovered a software glitch that limits torque if too much brake pressure is applied during launch starts. Our test car was a pre-production unit and Hyundai assures us the programming will be recalibrated for production cars.”

would love to see a rematch

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think there was actually a problem with the preproduction model that they tested against the accord and Acura. This is from car and driver...

“After some investigating by Hyundai, they discovered a software glitch that limits torque if too much brake pressure is applied during launch starts. Our test car was a pre-production unit and Hyundai assures us the programming will be recalibrated for production cars.”

would love to see a rematch
I am now up to just shy of 1,900 miles and have yet to do a launch control run. Might be in my near future.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just watched the YouTube video on DPCcars “Hyundai Tucson N-line” - German translation. It’s the suspension tuning to improve the ride comfort and high speed handling. The interior looks great with no compromise for comfort. Hyundai is going up market instead of over powered tire burners. It’s about time someone addressed the mid-level upscale market for comfort, luxury and performance.

To all those silly reviewers of drag racers, Ford, GM and Chrysler have exited passenger cars!

That enough reason not to listen to these silly and foolish auto reviewers. Don’t let them divert engineering resources. Look at the big three bankruptcy rate and exiting passenger cars. These reviewers don’t know what they are talking about and very few people buy the crap they recommend.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
69 Posts
I am now up to just shy of 1,900 miles and have yet to do a launch control run. Might be in my near future.
I did one right after the break in on a freshly paved road. Definitely put a smile on my face. The tire squeal just gives it character, lol. I’m at 3,600 miles already! I will find literally any excuse to get in it and go for a drive

·
Registered
713 Posts
I did one right after the break in on a freshly paved road. Definitely put a smile on my face. The tire squeal just gives it character, lol. I’m at 3,600 miles already! I will find literally any excuse to get in it and go for a drive
Darn it, I wish my lower back and shoulder were in better condition. I can only read about your adventure. Thank You for sharing the experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m not a fan of their content. I’m more The Straight Pipes and Doug Demuro, TFL on a rainy day because of their sheer content and not the actual hosts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Sonata N line specifically, (none of the other performance lacking N Line trim models i.e Elantra, Tuscon), is an LSD, electronically controlled suspension and louder popping and crackling exhaust away from a full on N (which I’m guessing Jack would loathe). He’s not looking for more hardcore performance when he’s complaining about the ride quality of the Sonata N Lines already more aggressive tuned suspension.
I understand how I worded my statement was confusing. I was mainly referring to what, at least to me, seemed to be his biggest complaint was the lack of an LSD which doesn't enable the N-Line Sonata to better utilize it's power. You typically only get an LSD in more high performance/hard core automobiles (thank you bean counters :rolleyes:). I agree with you and think if the Sonata were a true N version the suspension would be even more stiff/harsh (like the Veloster N) and there just isn't a big enough market of people looking for that. I think Hyundai hit the sweet spot between drivability and performance and once they add the LSD it will be just about a perfect sports sedan.

I got so tired of the guys incessant whining though I couldn't even finish the video. So I'm not sure what all was said in the final summary.

Many years ago I owned an SRT-4 Neon which to this day is still the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. It wasn't sophisticated in any way. No automatic transmission was available, it was no frills on the interior but it packed a terrific 2.4 turbo 4cyl engine that was way underrated from the factory. It put a smile on your face every time you mashed the go pedal. When they first came out in 2003 they didn't have an LSD either and they got a lot of complaints along the same lines the Sonata N-Line is. For 2004 models SRT made an LSD standard but you could still obliterate the tires at will.

I say all of that because I believe Hyundai will address the LSD issue. Even so, with a little bit of practice, and skill, it shouldn't be a huge deal to drive the car aggressively. In fact, I think it gives it character! Add in the fact it has an awesome interior, great looking exterior along with a very reasonable price and they have a terrific car!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Doug Demuro has to be one of the most annoying people on YouTube, but he does get some pretty cool cars on there. Straight Pipes is my favorite
Nothing is as bad as Scotty Kilmer...everything sucks except my 94 Celica and any Toyonda...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’m not a fan of their content. I’m more The Straight Pipes and Doug Demuro, TFL on a rainy day because of their sheer content and not the actual hosts.
Some people obviously get rubbed the wrong way with his sometimes passive aggressive reviews (Always called out Hyundai dealers for being crappy), but SG attracts a different crowd, that's different than Doug and TSP, who are Mark and Jack are tight with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I watched this whole video and am now dumber for allowing Internet Sensations to talk to me about technology they don't understand. No doubt the obese one is a Honda fanboy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata; 2009 Audi A6 Condor Grey
91 Posts
I take most internet "tellers" with a grain of salt. I pay no attention to Scotty!!

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
109 Posts
Funny to see you guys get your panties in a wad over these 2 guys on the internet.
Haven't driven an N-Line, but it seems like a great car that is hampered by being wrong-wheel-drive. I've driven many other high-power FWD cars and I agree with what the reviewers are saying about the dynamics being fundamentally bad.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Funny to see you guys get your panties in a wad over these 2 guys on the internet.
Haven't driven an N-Line, but it seems like a great car that is hampered by being wrong-wheel-drive. I've driven many other high-power FWD cars and I agree with what the reviewers are saying about the dynamics being fundamentally bad.
There’s your first mistake. You haven’t driven one.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
69 Posts
The review is so biased and so far off the mark that it is a joke. It didn't matter how good the car was or wasn't... Jack was going to give it that shitty review either way. It's not just two guys on the internet either.. they have almost half a million subscribers. When you not only own one, but read (and agree with) almost every publication saying things like this about it; it's pretty hard to not think "wtf"..

"On the whole, the Sonata N Line is truly excellent. In fact, the result of all the work Hyundai and its N Line team did is so impressive that anything less than a BMW M3 or Audi RS5 would have the devil's own job of shaking you loose on a twisty bit of back road. You can't say that about a Camry TRD." - Motor Trend

"The Sonata N Line technically competes with cars like the Toyota Camry TRD and turbocharged Honda Accord and Mazda6, but it's way better to drive. You're getting a car that's closer to Acura TLX and BMW 3 Series levels of enjoyment, and those cars cost a whole lot more. No, the N Line isn't perfect, but it punches way above its weight and has all of the standard Sonata's great infotainment and safety tech, to boot. This Hyundai might not immediately come to mind as a solid sport sedan, but trust me, you should drive one. It might surprise you." - CNET

"In terms of the suspension's behavior, it's easier to talk about what it doesn't do than what it does. Run it hard through the curves and there's no wallow, no float, no skipping around on mid-corner bumps. The steering is lovely, well-weighted, and precise. The 2021 Hyundai Sonata N-Line turns-in smoothly and stays planted when put to the test, exhibiting excellent stability, and that's all the more remarkable when you consider how comfortable and unflappable the ride is.... Now that I've driven a Hyundai sedan that can legitimately run with BMWs, I think I really have seen everything." - Automobile Mag

21 - 40 of 63 Posts