Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Makes sense, keep the car in sport plus and complain about wheel spin with 310 lb/ft of torque in a FWD car w/o a LSD. Whatever you say Jack... you don’t know Jack.

So nice of Mark to walk back his original thoughts at the end of the video, damage was already done pal.

Interesting how other reputable reviewers raved about how great handling and performance were in their respective reviews.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
69 Posts
On a side note, the N Line does look really sharp in the title screen, is that Phantom Black?
Think so! Looks great in black. I haven't seen any colors in person besides my silver and a white one at the dealer. I want to see some other ones out on the road!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the Portofino Gray an absolutely love the color, the dealership had a blue one but sold it the day it arrived so i didnt get to see it

·
Registered
88 Posts
"Think of it this way: The Sonata N Line technically competes with cars like the Toyota Camry TRD and turbocharged Honda Accord and Mazda6, but it's way better to drive. You're getting a car that's closer to Acura TLX and BMW 3 Series levels of enjoyment, and those cars cost a whole lot more."

That's from CNET Roadshow Reviews where they gave it a 9.0 score. I am more than satisfied with my purchase so far.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I find SavageGeese interesting, but I think it's pointless to put so much weight on how a car behaves if you floor it from a standstill.
Non-maniacal people don't normally do that, especially with FWD.
I'm more interested in how that power behaves when highway passing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
While I agree it could use a LSD, and believe Hyundai will add that, I found it silly to go off on it the way he did. And it's an N-Line version, not a full on N variant that he seems to want with more hard core performance features.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I may have been going quick this morning from a light in a nearby industrial park... I went slipped into sport+, went away briskly from the light with no slippage and then around 30 put my foot about 80%, had minor tire squeal then it was full pedal down just after. That is on a cool, not cold morning around 32 degrees, still not ideal for traction.
Like any car I have driven, you manage the throttle for your desired results. This one just lets you be a complete hooligan and light them up if you want or get away quickly with no drama with even just a small amount of brain power.
I rarely race the engine from a stop like that anyway, don't need the ticket or prematurely worn tires. The beauty of the N Line is that you can really cruise along comfortably and when you need a little passing power, it is easily accessible, you don't worry that you don't have enough like I did several times daily when merging in my old car. My last tank was pretty much dead on 30 mpgs, mostly commuting at decent speeds, some heavy traffic, other parts 80, mix of cold and slightly warmer days along with some commutes in strong winds and rain. The power, mpgs, space, level of engagement, tech, looks, etc were exactly what I was looking for and the car is performing better than I thought it would. I am impressed. There are very few negative reviews and the ones that are negative usually focus on torque steer which I have not yet felt in any meaningful way over ~ 1,800 miles. I had more in my old GM front drivers in the late 90s / early 00s.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Comparing a Toyota Camry TRD to this car is laughable. Other YouTube reviews like Redline Reviews, MotoManTV etc, particularly the later, were pleasantly surprised and thoroughly impressed with the overall handling prowess on the Sonata N Line. This is the first review of many that I can recall that doesn’t claim the N Line runs circles around the Camry or the Maxima.

Jack was extremely biased, his comments seemed very personal for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Makes sense, keep the car in sport plus and complain about wheel spin with 310 lb/ft of torque in a FWD car w/o a LSD. Whatever you say Jack... you don’t know Jack.

So nice of Mark to walk back his original thoughts at the end of the video, damage was already done pal.

Interesting how other reputable reviewers raved about how great handling and performance were in their respective reviews.
He even admits this car was on summer tires and they were testing in the cold with damp conditions as well. What do you expect when going full throttle on a 90 degree turn from a stop using the wrong tires for the temperature?
This type of review isn't that rare these days. If you just watch the beginning you think they hate the car and then they sum it all up once they have driven for more time and realize that they like it more. I don't get why they just don't go back and edit it, it isn't live tv.

·
Registered
366 Posts
While I agree it could use a LSD, and believe Hyundai will add that, I found it silly to go off on it the way he did. And it's an N-Line version, not a full on N variant that he seems to want with more hard core performance features.
The Sonata N line specifically, (none of the other performance lacking N Line trim models i.e Elantra, Tuscon), is an LSD, electronically controlled suspension and louder popping and crackling exhaust away from a full on N (which I’m guessing Jack would loathe). He’s not looking for more hardcore performance when he’s complaining about the ride quality of the Sonata N Lines already more aggressive tuned suspension.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata; 2009 Audi A6 Condor Grey
91 Posts
"What's confusing to me is trying to create this N-brand with no heritage"

And how is Hyundai supposed to create a heritage without putting the effort forth??

·
Registered
713 Posts
"Think of it this way: The Sonata N Line technically competes with cars like the Toyota Camry TRD and turbocharged Honda Accord and Mazda6, but it's way better to drive. You're getting a car that's closer to Acura TLX and BMW 3 Series levels of enjoyment, and those cars cost a whole lot more."

That's from CNET Roadshow Reviews where they gave it a 9.0 score. I am more than satisfied with my purchase so far.
Watch YouTube Throttle House compare “2021 Acura TLX vs Honda Accord 2.0 T vs Hyundai Sonata N Line”. MM Automotive “Autobahn 270 km/h (170 mph) Hyundai i30 N meets BMW M3”. YUNKI Ride, “2021 Hyundai Sonata N-line Driving on race track”

The Sonata N Line was designed by Germany’s Former Director of BMW M and suspension tuned by Lotus of UK, for neutral high speed handling. It was not designed for drag racing launches. The Sonata N-line is so aerodynamically slippery and balanced, it only require 15 hp to sustain 60 mph (100 km/h). and get over 30 mpg and can take Nurburgring high speed corners at great speeds in confidence.

The Sonata N-line is not quick of the line, but with a rolling start it will run away from Acura, Honda Turbos, BMW’s, etc... The Sonata N-Line was clocked at over 250 km/h (155 mph) on the Autobahn. The i30 N and Sonata N have been clocked at over 270 km/h (168 mph)!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Honestly, take a look at the Lamborghini Trafeo and Porsche GT3 racing cars. They have to be de-tuned for racing because they cannot put the power down. The street cars have more silly nonuseable HP.

Silly car reviewers have diverted scarce engineering resources to produce foolish vehicles that cannot put down the power to the ground. Dodge Charger, Mustang Shelby GT500, Supercharged Camero, ...those fools cars can get beaten on the line by Honda 2.0 T and Kai Stinger (not even the GT2 or GT3 which will do circles around them on the track.)

Car Reviewers, stop wasting engineering resources for your “Mental Masterbation”.

None of these exotics cars can beat a 250 cc super kart, not in acceleration, cornering at 4+G’s. And the 250 cc SuperKart is only $15,000 base model and $20,000 hopped up. Go break a rib driving a 250 cc SuperKart at the track and stop wasting engineering resources. The SuperKart will break ribs, tear neck muscles, lock up the muscles in your arm n shoulder. The fastest lap times as Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, etc. are by SuperKart. The unofficial fastest lap record around Sears Point was when Ayrton Senna, Nigel Mancell, Nicki Lauda were fooling around in SuperKarts and set the unofficial lap record. That record have never been broken for 30+ years. Even modified F1 cannot break that unofficial lap record on SuperKart.

Hyundai won 20+ “Top Safety Pick” and 4 “Top Safety Pick +” awards from IIHS for crash tests. Some of these silly companies that wasted money on cars that cannot put the power to the ground got ZERO safety awards. In fact NONE of those silly high horse power cars passed the latest off-set crash test at 40 mph. Why review against a piece of junk that cannot put the power to the ground or protect it’s occupants? Wasting engineering resources for self-satisfaction and mental masterbation!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Watch YouTube Throttle House compare “2021 Acura TLX vs Honda Accord 2.0 T vs Hyundai Sonata N Line”. MM Automotive “Autobahn 270 km/h (170 mph) Hyundai i30 N meets BMW M3”. YUNKI Ride, “2021 Hyundai Sonata N-line Driving on race track”

The Sonata N Line was designed by Germany’s Former Director of BMW M and suspension tuned by Lotus of UK, for neutral high speed handling. It was not designed for drag racing launches. The Sonata N-line is so aerodynamically slippery and balanced, it only require 15 hp to sustain 60 mph (100 km/h). and get over 30 mpg and can take Nurburgring high speed corners at great speeds in confidence.

The Sonata N-line is not quick of the line, but with a rolling start it will run away from Acura, Honda Turbos, BMW’s, etc... The Sonata N-Line was clocked at over 250 km/h (155 mph) on the Autobahn. The i30 N and Sonata N have been clocked at over 270 km/h (168 mph)!
Except that it is still quick off the line. According to the big ones (and many others), Motor Trend and Car and Driver, who have tested 0-60 between 5.0 and 5.3 seconds - likely in ideal conditions and summer tires (which as we all know are the only true option on this car at $200). It is the fastest FWD car in it's segment.

But, as you mentioned, it is much more than just a speed demon. It might not be the perfect car, that doesn't really exist, but it is mighty impressive and ticks all the right boxes for me.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
69 Posts
Honestly, take a look at the Lamborghini Trafeo and Porsche GT3 racing cars. They have to be de-tuned for racing because they cannot put the power down. The street cars have more silly nonuseable HP.

Silly car reviewers have diverted scarce engineering resources to produce foolish vehicles what cannot put down the power to the ground. Dodge Charger, Mustang Shelby GT500, Supercharged Camero, ...those fools cars can get beaten on the line by Honda 2.0 T.

Car Reviewers, stop wasting engineering resources for your “Mental Masterbation”.

None of these exotics cars can beat a 250 cc super kart, not in acceleration, cornering at 4+G’s. And the 250 cc SuperKart is only $15,000 base model and $20,000 hopped up. Go brake a rib driving a 250 cc SuperKart at the track and stop wasting engineering resources.

Hyundai won 20+ “Top Safety Pick” and 4 “Top Safety Pick +” awards from IIHS for crash tests. Some of these silly companies that wasted money on cars that cannot put the power to the ground got ZERO safety awards. In fact NONE of those silly high horse power cars passed the latest off-set crash test at 40 mph. Why review against a piece of junk that cannot put the power to the ground or protect it’s occupants? Wasting engineering resources for self-satisfaction and mental masterbation!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Except that it is still quick off the line. According to the big ones (and many others), Motor Trend and Car and Driver, who have tested 0-60 between 5.0 and 5.3 seconds - likely in ideal conditions and summer tires (which as we all know are the only true option on this car at $200). It is the fastest FWD car in it's segment.

But, as you mentioned, it is much more than just a speed demon. It might not be the perfect car, that doesn't really exist, but it is mighty impressive and ticks all the right boxes for me.
With some tuning (which should be available soon if not already), the Sonata N Line creeps into 4 sec range 0-60 times, which is kind of crazy when you think about it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts